Enlightening Delilah by Marion Chesney

Enlightening Delilah

by Marion Chesney, M.C. Beaton (Another of author's pseudonyms)

Series: The School for Manners (book 3)

You can certainly have too much of a good thing. In the space of three short novels, I'm already stalled of M.C. Beaton's School for Manners series, which morphs more and more into Georgette Heyer with each heroine. Felicity I loved, Fiona I found amusing, but the practically perfect Delilah and her moody suitor I could well have done without.

Also, Beaton stretches a joke too far - the Tribble sisters are unbelievable caricatures, with emotional Effy and foul-mouthed Amy, and the 'wild, unruly or undisciplined daughters' they take on are basically Heyeroines in disguise. I was amused by Amy's advice to Delilah that 'beautiful people should not flirt' (they don't need to), but Sir Charles Digby is decidedly unappealing: 'You will marry me. If I thought for a moment you would ever kiss another man in the way you kiss me, then I would kill you', he tells her, after repeatedly 'punishing' her with kisses. Mills and Boon readers might go for tall, dark and angry, but I prefer Mr Knightley's old fashioned manners and respect over dominance and abuse. Also, would a gentleman really comment on a lady's virginity, or talk about rape, so bluntly? Not even Heyer went that far in 'modernising' the Regency era.

Sadly, the magic has worn off. I still recommend the first novel, Refining Felicity, as an introduction to the Regency genre, but I won't be completing the set, sorry to say. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Oct 23, 2012 |

Marion Chesneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beaton, M.C.Another of author's pseudonymsmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sabin, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The School for Manners

If only Sir Charles Digby hadn't kissed her, perhaps Delilah Wraxall would not be in the spiteful habit of declining so many marriage proposals. In that one impassioned kiss, she had learned the enchantment of true love--and the fury of a woman scorned when Sir Charles vanished without an explanation. Now she breaks hearts with glee, wreaking havoc amongst the surplus of suitors vying for her hand--and driving her father to desperate measures. The only hope for his flirtatious daughter rests in the capable hands of Amy and Effy Tribble and their reputable School for Manners.

But subduing Delilah proves a monumental challenge. For as she steps into London's social limelight, she's concocted a plan to pique Sir Charles' jealousy. And she's already got the Season's most roguish bachelor wrapped around her little finger....

The third volume of the Regency romance series, The School for Manners, finds the Tribble sisters, Amy and Effie, once again entangled in the machinations of the marriage mart. The formidable but lovable spinsters, who earn their livings by sponsoring young girls and finding them husbands, take on the case of Delilah, a beautiful, mindlessly flirtatious country heiress. What puzzles everyone is why such a beauty is unmarried at 23, and why she is ensconced in the London school of the zany Tribbles. The answer is found in the handsome person of Sir Charles Digby, returned from the Napoleonic Wars and startled to learn he is the cause of Delilah's single state, but eager to remedy it. As in Perfecting Fiona , the Tribbles, with their salty exchanges and impossible schemes, provide delightful entertainment. Even as Delilah finds happiness, the sisters hear that another customer is on the horizon, an event to be celebrated in the next volume.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible