Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and…

by Mark Levy

When it comes to creating ideas, we hold ourselves back. That's because inside each of us is an internal editor whose job is to forever polish our thoughts so we sound smart and in control and so we fit into society. But what happens when we encounter problems where such conventional thinking fails us? How do we get unstuck? For Mark Levy, the answer is freewriting, a technique he's used for years to solve all types of business problems and generate ideas for books, articles, and blog posts. Freewriting is deceptively simple- start writing as fast as you can, for as long as you can, about a subject you care deeply about, while ignoring the standard rules of grammar and spelling. Your internal editor won't be able to keep up with your output-you'll generate breakthrough ideas and solutions that you couldn't have created any other way. Levy shares his six secrets to freewriting as well as fifteen problem-solving and creativity-stimulating principles you can use if you need more firepower-seven of which are new to this edition. Also new to this edition- an extensive section on how to refine your raw freewriting into something you can share with the world.… (more)

Good advice that I would like to try. The author uses anecdotes to demonstrate the power of free-writing as a problem-solving tool, and also a technique to kickstart actual writing.

It should be viewed as a general advice and how-to for free-writing, and it is not a scientific or evidence-based exploration of its effects, and work. It contains various exercises to help you along, and is good by way of introduction to the subject. ( )
  moukayedr | Sep 5, 2021 |
Fiction writers need only read the first 46 pages. ( )
  TromboneAl | May 4, 2018 |
Great method for finding your actual writing voice. ( )
  tangentrider | Aug 27, 2015 |
I highly recommend this book. It has a tinge of psychobabble which is easy to overlook.

The big discovery here is the call to simply write, write, write to improve my own skills. The author got me to do this and to aim to do at least three pages every day. I was intrigued to find that getting one idea produces the next. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Accidental Genius is a well-written treasure trove of valuable advice for authors, and for ordinary people. By following Mark Levy's suggestions, you not only improve your writing skills, but you can also learn problem solving techniques. Best of all, you don't need to be an established writer to benefit from this advice. Anyone can use the techniques taught by Mr. Levy, and nearly everyone who tries the techniques will benefit to some extent.

Mr. Levy provides anecdotes from his personal experience, some of them humorous, all of them valuable examples of what can be accomplished using his techniques to improve both your writing and your life. If you use these techinques, you might even find that, along the way, you have developed a manuscript for that great American novel residing in the back of your brain.

Author notes (actually more of a bibliography) and a detailed index are among the concluding pages of this book, and, also among the more valuable pages included here. The bibliographical information included in the notes can lead to more resources, while the index will help to quickly locate topics of interest when you don't have the time to read whole chapters, or just want to quickly verify a point or two.

Recommended for readers ages 16 and up who are interested in learning problem solving techniques or improving writing skills. This book was provided to me free by the publisher in exchange for review. This review has been simultaneously published on Dragon Views, Amazon.com, LibraryThing and wherever else I may deem appropriate. ( )
  1dragones | Jul 5, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,141,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible