The Grand Alliance by Winston S. Churchill

The Grand Alliance (1950)

by Winston S. Churchill

Series: Churchill's The Second World War (Volume 3)

Churchill's history of the Second World War is, and will remain, the definitive work. Lucid, dramatic, remarkable for its breadth and sweep and for its sense of personal involvement, it is universally acknowledged as a magnificent historical reconstruction and an enduring work of literature. This is the third volume of Churchill's own abridgement of his original six-volume history of the Second World War.… (more)

English (9)  Italian (2)  All languages (11)
Another great volume on the British view of World War II, from a man very much on the front line. ( )
  charlie68 | Nov 24, 2018 |
Volume 3 of Churchill's opus on World War II, this book does not disappoint. Basically covering 1941, Churchill describes in detail the fear of fighting the Axis alone, the surprise of Germany's decision to attack Russia, and the United States entry into the war.

It's fascinating to read Churchill's respect for Roosevelt and the U.S., and how he handles them with kid gloves and not once give in to the frustration he (and Britain) must have felt as they watched the U.S. stumble into the war - slowly and surely.

Equally interesting is his disdain for Stalin, calling his trust in Nazi Germany one of the biggest blunders someone could possibly make and something that could have prevented much agony in the Soviet Union.

Churchill's command of the details are complete and he is equally versed in supply and logistics, military strategy and the politics associated with governing. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
this volume begins with January of 1941, and ends in December of that year. The diversion to Greece, the German invasion of Russia, and the attack on Pearl Harbour all occur. The gradual movement of the USA into the war is covered. The ambivalence of the Americans to get actively involved is explored in some detail.
Apparently only read twice? ( )
  DinadansFriend | Nov 7, 2013 |
Third in the series, this is the book of 1941 with all its cares and events. In some ways, this year went well for Great Britain. War production was well up and things went well in the Middle East. Of course in that same time period Greece and Crete were lost.

At the end of the year, of course, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and the United States entered the war. At this point Churchill said that he knew the war was won however long it took. According to what was written in the book, everyone in power knew that the Japanese would start a war and attacks were expected at many points but no one expected an attack on Pearl Harbor. And no one anticipated the early fall of Singapore.

All these books are written in a superlative flow of language. The Appendix in each book is full of primary sources. Although there is bias in the books it is not concealed and I do not think it distort the facts or impair the narrative. I recommend the whole series.
  xenchu | Apr 19, 2010 |
The third book in the series, this one details the war for Britain during the year 1941. There is no way to read this except with a heavy heart, so I can't say I enjoyed it. However, it was interesting and inspiring in parts, everyone loves to read about the underdog who overcomes. It seems strange and wrong to call England an underdog, yet that is what they seemed at this point. It was in this year however that they began to turn the tide and the world saw that they were not to be easily overrun. Churchill's humor slips through in his writing and that lightens the reading of these heavy times, he also can be very moving. It was enlightening to me to read of the oneness of mind between Churchill and Roosevelt and how much America did even before she declared war. I did not know that we shipped so many supplies and helped patrol the Atlantic. Not an easy read, yet I am glad I finished it. ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 19, 2008 |

until
Soviet Russia and the United States
were drawn
into the Great Conflict
Looking back upon the unceasing tumult of the war, I cannot recall any period when its stresses and the onset of so many problems all at once or in rapid succession bore more directly on me and my colleagues than the first half of 1941.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,778,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible