Here Be Monsters! by Alan Snow

Rating: 4 of 5

Buncha nonsense, really. The stuff of pure fantasy - I loved it! One of those books I wish I could've read for the first time when I was like 11 years old. Aside from the quirky illustrations, I think my fave was the imaginative twists on reality, like "Oil of Brussels" used as a weapon. Because what kid thinks of Brussels sprouts as anything other than parent-sanctioned poison? Be warned: No matter what age, you will giggle A LOT whilst reading Here Be Monsters! (And if you don't, why the hay would you pick this book up in the first place?!) ( )
  flying_monkeys | Oct 20, 2014 |
Z loved it. He's now using legos to build his very own Ratbridge, complete with cabbageheads, boxtrolls, and Snatcher. ( )
1 vote beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 11, 2011 |
Although I found this book to be a bit long for its intended age level, the characters are charming and the story is adorable. This is a nice story for children who want that bigger book with more pages. The short chapters help to make it very readable and the story itself will keep the pages turning. ( )
  magooles | Sep 22, 2009 |
A COUNTER-REVOLUTION in children’s literature has banished the grim plethora of social realism and reclaimed those elements of magic and imagination so necessary for childhood. Here Be Monsters features the indefatigable Arthur, an orphan who lives underground with his grandfather and a quirky community of Box trolls, Cabbage Heads, Rabbit Women and Trotting Badgers. On one of his nightly forays into the town above for food, Arthur witnesses an illicit cheese hunt… From then the action is fast and furious as his band of misfits and recreants battle to save the old town of Ratbridge from the evil plans of the sinister Cheese Barons. ( )
2 vote adpaton | Nov 29, 2007 |

Skulduggery is afoot!

Welcome to Ratbridge. But beware -- for there is skulduggery afoot. Young Arthur has fallen foul of the appalling outlaw, Snatcher, and is trapped alone in the town with every way home sealed. Meanwhile Snatcher and his men are working tirelessly in secret on a fiendish and dastardly plan to take over -- and destroy -- the entire town. With the help of Willbury Nibble, QC; some friendly boxtrolls and cabbageheads; Marjorie the frustrated inventor; and the rats and pirates from the Ratbridge Nautical Laundry, can Arthur thwart Snatcher's evil plans -- and find his way home?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:56 -0400)

While gathering food to bring to his grandfather, young Arthur becomes trapped in the city of Ratbridge, where he and some new friends try to stop a plot to shrink the monsters of Arthur's home, the Underworld, for a nefarious purpose.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,426,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible