Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank…

Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank

by Phil Foglio, Kaja Foglio (Author)

I just spent 20 straight unshowered hours reading this comic online from start to the present day.

Beautiful art style, non-stop action, romance, science and a kick-ass heroine who's a little bit dangerous. I'm hooked. ( )
  Ridley_ | Apr 1, 2013 |
Neat setting and a couple interesting characters, but mostly just setup so far - nothing to pull me into the story. I also expected a lot more humor. I'll read more at some point, though, because everyone seems to rave about it.

Also, it's in black and white and as a result some of the action sequences are visually confusing. The rest of the comic is in color, I think (the extra promo comic at the end is, at least) and I think that will make the art much better. ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
Girl Genius is the creation of Phil and Kaja Foglio, a demented artist/writer team responsible for reimaginings of Angel and the Ape and Stanly and his Monster, and the amazing Buck Godot comics. They launched the Girl Genius comic in 2001, in monochrome, but it quickly went color. After each chapter was finished, the comics would be reprinted together as a graphic novel. The comic’s popularity really took off after the Foglio’s started putting them up a page at a time on their website for everyone to read, and now thousands follow Agatha’s adventures online and grab the lavashly produced graphic novels as they become available. Each book, in a nod to traditional pulp-fiction adventure, is titled "Agatha Heterodyne and the (fill in the blank)."

But who is Agatha? Agatha is a “spark,” or mad-girl, or as we would call her, a Mad Scientist in a steampunk world where the scientific revolution escalated to all-out war. The world is ruled by science, and it’s not ruled very well. In a nod to tradition, she starts off as an inept lab-assistant, but turns out to be the secret heir of the vanished Heterodynes–one of the oldest and sparkiest dynasties of Europa. Agatha is a sweet girl with a tendancy for making death-rays, but she quickly finds herself caught up in adventures that take her all across Europa, from Wulfenbach’s floating castle Castle Wulfenbach to… well, eventually to everywhere. Probably even the lost Americas.

The Foglio’s artwork is gorgeous, but their humor is the series’ true treasure. Fans of TerryPratchett’s Diskworld books would feel right at home here, and the Foglio’s are masters of both visual and verbal humor. Just one example page: And if that doesn’t peak your interest, you have no soul. So go check out Girl Genius, one of the most successful webcomics (it has even spawned its own fan-created wiki) and graphic-novel serials around. The best part is you can read it from beginning to end online; the worst part is you won’t be happy till the full collection is sitting on your bookshelf, ready to embarrass you when your friends come over. ( )
1 vote M.G.Harmon | Jun 11, 2011 |
Good story and fantastic art. I love this comic. ( )
  gilag | Sep 12, 2010 |
Excellent comic. Girl Genius is a great steam punk series mixed in with a little fantasy. This first book, the artists are still finding their 'look' but it is still very good. This book is a short introduction into the world of Agatha Heterodyne. We just get a taste of a wide range of different aspects of this world and I just want to know more. This is the colorized Hardcover edition and it is a beautiful book.

(spoilerish)
We meet Agatha Clay as she is on her way to the University, and she is assaulted and robbed of a brooch her uncle gave her. Shortly after that, the Baron Wulfenbach arrives to check on progress of a project, culminating in Agatha's mentor being killed and she herself being expelled from the University. Things start really rolling after that, and we start to get a larger view of what makes up this world and the people and creatures in it. ( )
  readafew | Sep 2, 2010 |
The steampunk-flavored action is punctuated by comedy in a setting where over-the-top seems plausible. Agatha is a wonderful character, smart, pretty, beset by unfair circumstances she struggles to triumph over, and admirable in her determination.

Phil Foglioprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foglio, KajaAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Now, this isn't a Heterodyne story like your mama tells you when she tucks you into bed at night...

In a time when the Industrial Revolution has become all-out war, and Mad Science rules the world with mixed success, Agatha Clay, a student at Transylvania Polygnostic University is unable to build anything that actually works. However, when the University is overthrown, a strange "clank" stalks the streets, and it seems that Agatha may have a spark of Mad Science after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,542,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible