Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank…

Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank

by Phil Foglio, Kaja Foglio (Author)

5281819,108 (4)19

Interesting, and features a character working for and taking care of herself. It didn't really do much for me, not sure why. Steampunk seems like it should be totally fascinating, I just keep finding examples of the genre that seem....flat to me, I guess. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
So I looked this one up online (and read it there for free) as I was struggling with the 13th volume which is a 2014 Hugo finalist for Best Graphic Novel, and while this is from only one point of view - Agatha's - it's still a little disjointed and hard to follow. Almost every sentence of dialogue feels like it should end with a exclamation mark. It's high drama, or melodrama. But perhaps that's a mark of the mad science genre - I wouldn't know, I'm new to it.

Agatha is a strong female role model. She doesn't crumple in the face of adversity. I found the worldbuilding a little lacking and many questions are left unanswered by the end of the volume.

The artwork is nice though a little cartoon-y and Agatha's proportions seem a bit ludicrous for a teenager. She'd be more at home as a buxom barmaid wench in a tavern filled with randy vikings.

I love visual steampunk, on TV and in the movies, but can't get into it in novel form so I thought this would be good middle ground. Not this time. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Volume 1 is, as they are prone to be, an introductory book. We meet Agatha and a group of other people and the general world - a kind of steampunk setting.

I've rated this volume low as it takes a while to get going but, having read the entire thing as a webcomic, I really would recommend you do the same as it improves enormously. Agatha comes across as a bit of a wet blanket in the first issue but that isn't true of the full length story and there's some beautiful maturation of relationships and deepening of character as the thing goes on. Well worth a read. ( )
  TPauSilver | Aug 29, 2014 |
I just spent 20 straight unshowered hours reading this comic online from start to the present day.

Beautiful art style, non-stop action, romance, science and a kick-ass heroine who's a little bit dangerous. I'm hooked. ( )
  Ridley_ | Apr 1, 2013 |
Neat setting and a couple interesting characters, but mostly just setup so far - nothing to pull me into the story. I also expected a lot more humor. I'll read more at some point, though, because everyone seems to rave about it.

Also, it's in black and white and as a result some of the action sequences are visually confusing. The rest of the comic is in color, I think (the extra promo comic at the end is, at least) and I think that will make the art much better. ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
The steampunk-flavored action is punctuated by comedy in a setting where over-the-top seems plausible. Agatha is a wonderful character, smart, pretty, beset by unfair circumstances she struggles to triumph over, and admirable in her determination.

Phil Foglioprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foglio, KajaAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Now, this isn't a Heterodyne story like your mama tells you when she tucks you into bed at night...

In a time when the Industrial Revolution has become all-out war, and Mad Science rules the world with mixed success, Agatha Clay, a student at Transylvania Polygnostic University is unable to build anything that actually works. However, when the University is overthrown, a strange "clank" stalks the streets, and it seems that Agatha may have a spark of Mad Science after all.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,775,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible