Soon I Will Be Invincible: A Novel by Austin…

Soon I Will Be Invincible: A Novel

by Austin Grossman

After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Soon I Will Be Invincible is the same concept, with a lot of attention on the supervillain.
    Transmetropolitan Vol. 01: Back on the Street [Original edition] by Warren Ellis (ahstrick)
    Wearing the Cape by Marion G. Harmon (TomWaitsTables)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (DovSherman)
    The Refrigerator Monologues by Catherynne M. Valente (brianjungwi)
    brianjungwi: Different, but in the superhero genre
    All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault: A Novel by James Alan Gardner (Carnophile)
    Carnophile: Both books lovingly play with the conventions of superhero comic books.
    Going Through The Change by Samantha Bryant (sturlington)
    Behind the Mask: A Superhero Anthology by Tricia Reeks (Euryale)
    Euryale: Short stories also exploring the theme of superheroes and villains in their downtime.
    A Once Crowded Sky: A Novel by Tom King (Vulco1)
    Vulco1: kind of cynical take on a superhero world. Pretty pointed satire and deliberate homages abound with some good humor, both shallow and deep. Something for people that know superhero comics inside and out as well as newcomers just wanting an interesting read.
    Watchmen by Alan Moore (sturlington)
    From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain by Minister Faust (ShelfMonkey)
    Superpowers by David J. Schwartz (nsblumenfeld)
    The Indifference League by Richard Scarsbrook (ShelfMonkey)
    Playing For Keeps by Mur Lafferty (DovSherman)

English (106)  French (1)  All languages (107)
Thoroughly enjoyable, and inevitably I have to compare it to Perry Moore's YA coming-of-age story 'Hero'. They released in the same summer, and both incorporate (and rely heavily on) classic superhero tropes. Both authors injected a modern sense of the social fallout that the high-celebrity status of being a superhero (or villain) would bring to a person -- and the mental and physical costs of their abilities.

Grossman has the edge in writing, but not by much. I'm not sure if its a more refined style on his part writing, or that by writing for a grown-up audience he didn't feel he needed so many bold italicized underlinings to get his point across.

Dr. Impossible as an evil genius was a lot of fun to hear from, and I liked the slow build-up to his 13th attempt at global subjugation. Fatale, the new-girl on the superhero squad, was more predictable, but perhaps necessary to fill in the gaps of Grossman's superhero universe. Someone had to express awe towards the past achievements of Dr. Impossible's enemies, he could only give them grudging respect, and you needed to know who he was going against to appreciate what he was trying to do. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is not a bad book; dare I say, its actually a pretty good one, with an author who clearly enjoys comics and builds upon an unique building block; the mind and motivations of the Supervillan (Dr. Horrible's Sing Along is in many ways, similar).Sadly, it never quite lives up to the promise of its premise, with some great ideas that just don't work as a compelling story.

That being said, the Grossman family is a talented one - his twin brother Lev wrote "The Magicians" and "The Magician King", both of which are well worth reading. ( )
  A-S | Jan 6, 2019 |
It's ok...

Every single comic/cartoon superhero cliche and stereotype is present and accounted for here. From the cardboard villain with the maniacal laugh and the diabolical plan to take over the world (and robots with laser eyes, naturally), to the goody two-shoes superman copy, complete with reporter girlfriend.

I am still not entirely certain whether this was supposed to be a homage/dig at superhero conventions, or a serious attempt at writing a superhero story. As the former, it's alright. As I mentioned, it ticks every single cliche box it can find.
If it was meant to be the latter, I can only assume it was written by a twelve-year-old...

Either way, it killed some time, I suppose, and I've certainly read worse. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Nov 19, 2018 |
This book caused great conflict in my family. I was reading it and my son tried to steal it. Once it was his turn, his brother tried to steal it from him. Now we have all read it and I have to return it to Jenne. This is terrible. I will have to wait until it is actually published to buy my own copy so we can all read it again to laugh at the really funny parts. If you have ever loved a comic book you will love this. Thanks to Jenne for lending me her review copy. ( )
1 vote JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
A very entertaining book that takes place in a world of superheroes and supervillians, where every notion you ever read in a comic book was actually true. The book follows the perspectives of two characters, Doctor Impossible, the evil genius from Iowa who tries to conquer the world repeatedly, and that of Fatale, the female cyborg with no memory of her past trying to come to grips with finding herself amongst the greatest of superheroes.

It's a wonderfully fun book, and the author has a delightful sense of humor that enjoys playing with, but never mocking, the material. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |

Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marlo, ColeenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spear, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Allen and Judith Grossman
This morning on planet Earth, there are one thousand, six hundred, and eighty-six enhanced, gifted, or otherwise-superpowered persons.

Doctor Impossible—evil genius, would-be world conqueror—languishes in prison. Shuffling through the cafeteria line with ordinary criminals, he wonders if the smartest man in the world has done the smartest thing he could with his life. After all, he's lost every battle he's ever fought. But this prison won't hold him forever.

Fatale—half woman, half high-tech warrior—used to be an unemployed cyborg. Now, she's a rookie member of the world's most famous super-team, the Champions. But being a superhero is not all flying cars and planets in peril—she learns that in the locker rooms and dive bars of superherodom, the men and women (even mutants) behind the masks are as human as anyone.

Soon I Will Be Invincible is a wildly entertaining first novel, brimming with attitude and humor—an emotionally resonant look at good and evil, love and loss, power and glory.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Fatale-half woman, half high-tech warrior-used to be an unemployed cyborg. Now, she's a rookie member of the world's most famous super-team, the Champions. But being a superhero is not all flying cars and planets in peril-she learns that in the locker rooms and dive bars of superherodom, the men and women (even mutants) behind the masks are as human as anyone. Soon I Will Be Invincible is a wildly entertaining first novel, brimming with attitude and humor-an emotionally resonant look at good and evil, love and loss, power and glory.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,412,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible