Watchmen (1986)

by Alan Moore (Writer), Dave Gibbons (Illustrator)

Other authors: John Higgins (Colorist), Joe Orlando (Illustrator)

Series: Watchmen - Alan Moore (collects 1-12)

As former members of a disbanded group of superheroes called the Crimebusters start turning up dead, the remaining members of the group try to discover the identity of the murderer before they, too, are killed.
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (FFortuna, monktv)
    monktv: These books have the epic storytelling and interesting meaning in common.
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (McMinty)
    The Absolute Sandman Volume One by Neil Gaiman (JapaG)
    JapaG: After the Watchmen, Sandman is probably the graphic novel that has most influenced the adult comic scene today. It has similarly deep storyline about humanity from the perspective of one outside of it. Also the magnificent art contributes to the great collection.
    From Hell by Alan Moore (sturlington)
    DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore by Alan Moore (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Includes two earlier Moore/Gibbons collaborations.
    Supreme: The Story of the Year by Alan Moore (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Like Watchmen, this is a superhero story. But it is the complete polar opposite of Watchmen; this is Alan Moore's love letter to the silver age superhero.
    Astro City Vol. 01: Life in the Big City by Kurt Busiek (FFortuna)
    Kingdom Come by Mark Waid (jpers36)
    Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: I enjoyed the back stories in both, seeing how regular people end up as costumed vigilantes.
    Supreme: The Return by Alan Moore (TomWaitsTables)
    Miracleman Book Three: Olympus by Alan Moore (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Both deconstructionist superhero tales by Alan Moore. WATCHMEN is the more formally masterful work; MIRACLEMAN, the more emotionally devastating one.
    The Authority: Relentless by Warren Ellis (MyriadBooks)
    American Flagg!: Definitive Collection Volume 1 by Howard Chaykin (LKAYC)
    Wild Cards (Volume 1) by George R. R. Martin (LamontCranston)
    Greyshirt: Indigo Sunset by Rick Veitch (kxlly)
    Icon: A Hero's Welcome (Milestone Comics Library) by Dwayne McDuffie (FFortuna)
    Those Who Walk in Darkness by John Ridley (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Which is another superhero deconstruction along these same lines.
    The Winter Men {complete} by Brett Lewis (IamAleem)
    The Satires of Juvenal by Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (bertilak)
    Atomika Vol 1: God Is Red by Sal Abbinanti (IamAleem)

1980s (51)
Books (66)

English (449)  French (4)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (460)
A Graphic Novel

Meh. I'm just too old and set in my ways to enjoy these. Some interesting threading of multiple stories within the chapters but overall I just don't grasp the concept. ( )
  skavlanj | Jul 21, 2021 |
The cinematic DC sci-fi series from 1986-87, a bridge between comics and graphic novels, fills in the backstory of the HBO series and its noir take on the costumed hero/antihero.
  rynk | Jul 11, 2021 |
Watchmen continues to be the best of the very best of the deconstruction of the superhero. It has so many layers that one read is never enough.

For various reasons, reading Watchmen always reminds me of Chabon's Kavalier and Klay. ( )
  multiplexer | Jun 20, 2021 |
A wonderfully inventive revisionist history of superheroes. Perhaps the greatest "comic book" ever made. ( )
  Ghost1y | May 16, 2021 |
I'm glad I've finally read this graphic novel because it is I think one of the few graphic novels that has been chosen for the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die list. And I agree that it has fabulous artwork but the superhero theme didn't really work for me. If I was just rating the book based on the story I'd probably only give it 2 and a half stars. ( )
  gypsysmom | May 2, 2021 |

Moore, AlanWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, DaveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Higgins, JohnColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orlando, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bárány, FerencTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wein, LenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes. Who watches the watchmen? Juvenal Satires, VI, 347, quoted as the epigraph of the Tower commission report, 1987
With special thanks to Neil Gaiman, Mike Lake, Pat Mills, and Joe Orlando.
Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985:
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.
[spraypainted on wall] "Who watches the Watchmen?"
"Looked at the sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children hell-bound as ourselves; go into oblivion. There is nothing else. Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us." (Ch. VI, pg26)
"All this, it could be gone: people, cars, T.V. shows, magazines...even the word 'gone' would be gone." (Ch. V, pg12)
"Why do we argue? Life's so fragile, a successful virus clinging to a speck of mud, suspended in endless nothing." (Ch. VI, pg28)
"We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet that can see the strings." (Ch. IX, pg5)
Some consider Absolute Watchmen to be a notably different work from Watchmen. There is currently a discussion in Combiners! discussing whether or not this separation is needed. Please join the discussion. Please do not combine the two works until this is resolved.
Before separating check ISBN because there are bad titles

Please be careful in separating editions titled Watchmen #1, because many are not for the first single issue of the miniseries, but for this collected volume.

A New York Times Best Seller!

This Hugo Award-winning graphic novel chronicles the fall from grace of a group of super-heroes plagued by all-too-human failings. Along the way, the concept of the super-hero is dissected as the heroes are stalked by an unknown assassin.

One of the most influential graphic novels of all time and a perennial bestseller, WATCHMEN has been studied on college campuses across the nation and is considered a gateway title, leading readers to other graphic novels such as V FOR VENDETTA, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and THE SANDMAN series.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,428,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible