Watchmen

by Alan Moore (Writer), Dave Gibbons (Illustrator)

Other authors: John Higgins (Colorist), Joe Orlando (Illustrator)

Series: Watchmen (collects 1-12)

A "New York Times" Best Seller This Hugo Award-winning graphic novel chronicles the fall from grace of a group of super-heroes plagued by all-too-human failings. Along the way, the concept of the super-hero is dissected as the heroes are stalked by an unknown assassin. One of the most influential graphic novels of all time and a perennial bestseller, WATCHMEN has been studied on college campuses across the nation and is considered a gateway title, leading readers to other graphic novels such as V FOR VENDETTA, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS and THE SANDMAN series.… (more)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (FFortuna, monktv)
    monktv: These books have the epic storytelling and interesting meaning in common.
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (McMinty)
    The Absolute Sandman Volume One by Neil Gaiman (JapaG)
    JapaG: After the Watchmen, Sandman is probably the graphic novel that has most influenced the adult comic scene today. It has similarly deep storyline about humanity from the perspective of one outside of it. Also the magnificent art contributes to the great collection.
    From Hell by Alan Moore (sturlington)
    DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore by Alan Moore (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Includes two earlier Moore/Gibbons collaborations.
    Supreme: The Story of the Year by Alan Moore (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Like Watchmen, this is a superhero story. But it is the complete polar opposite of Watchmen; this is Alan Moore's love letter to the silver age superhero.
    Astro City Vol. 01: Life in the Big City by Kurt Busiek (FFortuna)
    Kingdom Come by Mark Waid (jpers36)
    Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: I enjoyed the back stories in both, seeing how regular people end up as costumed vigilantes.
    Supreme: The Return by Alan Moore (TomWaitsTables)
    Miracleman Book Three: Olympus by Alan Moore (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Both deconstructionist superhero tales by Alan Moore. WATCHMEN is the more formally masterful work; MIRACLEMAN, the more emotionally devastating one.
    The Authority: Relentless by Warren Ellis (MyriadBooks)
    American Flagg!: Definitive Collection Volume 1 by Howard Chaykin (LKAYC)
    Wild Cards, Volume 1 by George R. R. Martin (LamontCranston)
    Greyshirt: Indigo Sunset by Rick Veitch (kxlly)
    Icon: A Hero's Welcome (Milestone Comics Library) by Dwayne McDuffie (FFortuna)
    Those Who Walk in Darkness by John Ridley (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Which is another superhero deconstruction along these same lines.
    The Winter Men {complete} by Brett Lewis (IamAleem)
    The Satires of Juvenal by Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (bertilak)
    Atomika Vol 1: God Is Red by Sal Abbinanti (IamAleem)

1980s (69)
Books (66)

English (460)  French (4)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (472)
I don't know how many times I've read this book. I love it and it is important to me. That is all. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
Controversial Englishman Alan Moore wows the world with his occasional imaginary siesta in the realm of art and its depiction of reality as we confront it today. So its no surprise that Watchmen ruffles more feathers than a mother-in-law on the warpath.

Moore takes the Superhero genre and twists it to breaking point. What happens to the all to powerful saviors we blindly deify when it emerges that they too have their own all too earthly failings? What transpires when it emerges that they too have their own political biases and are prone to abusing the power invested in them by populism? These are the questions which Moore tackles with Watchmen.

I do not view Moore's work as a monochromatic diorama solely pandering to contemporary idealisms and clash of values. I perceive him as a historian whose graphic narratives reflect the vantage point of our society today in the onwards procession of the present to the future. He does not root himself in the past (what better medium to avoid narrative juxtapositions than graphic novels?) almost signifying that for him the past is symbolic but not specific in its relationship to the present. Rather, the present is what should be used to manifest the future.

So what is the future in Watchmen? Where does the failure of our over commercialized and hyper-glorified Gods leave us when we are browbeaten by reality? Who suffers the most when we realize that the man in the custom can outrun a speeding train and withstand a bullet but not evade the agony of envy? And above all, can even the Super upholders of justice escape the deadly court of public opinion and its chief exploiter-the government?

Watchmen's relevancy lies in what it tells us about our concerns. Our fears that in an imperfect life nothing can ever be right and perfectness is but an illusion. Its cynicism is contagious but then why would it not be? After all, we confront more failures than successes in life. ( )
  Amarj33t_5ingh | Jul 8, 2022 |
Rereading this, I get why this became such a cultural icon. The characters are believable and it manages to handle "what if superheroes were real" and be dark, without feeling too edgy. I think it's aged quite well considering the popularity and mediocrity of most superhero media today.

I'll likely be rereading this in the future as well. ( )
  rottweilersmile | Feb 27, 2022 |
I liked, cause I like all graphic novels and comic books. I can't help it. But the sheer size of this one, the density of the psychological thorns and historical implications, the need to track so many personalities . . . I dunno. summer isn't long enough any more. ( )
  AnnKlefstad | Feb 4, 2022 |
All the hype about the film made me want to re-read this. I'd forgotten how good it is - there is no way they can possibly make a film of it. ( )
  hierogrammate | Jan 31, 2022 |

Moore, AlanWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, DaveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Higgins, JohnColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orlando, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bárány, FerencTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabbagh, JuliaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wein, LenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes. Who watches the watchmen? Juvenal Satires, VI, 347, quoted as the epigraph of the Tower commission report, 1987
With special thanks to Neil Gaiman, Mike Lake, Pat Mills, and Joe Orlando.
Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985:
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.
[spraypainted on wall] "Who watches the Watchmen?"
"Looked at the sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children hell-bound as ourselves; go into oblivion. There is nothing else. Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us." (Ch. VI, pg26)
"All this, it could be gone: people, cars, T.V. shows, magazines...even the word 'gone' would be gone." (Ch. V, pg12)
"Why do we argue? Life's so fragile, a successful virus clinging to a speck of mud, suspended in endless nothing." (Ch. VI, pg28)
"We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet that can see the strings." (Ch. IX, pg5)
Some consider Absolute Watchmen to be a notably different work from Watchmen. There is currently a discussion in Combiners! discussing whether or not this separation is needed. Please join the discussion. Please do not combine the two works until this is resolved.
Before separating check ISBN because there are bad titles

Please be careful in separating editions titled Watchmen #1, because many are not for the first single issue of the miniseries, but for this collected volume.

A New York Times Best Seller!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,905,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible