V for Vendetta (1982)

by Alan Moore (Writer), David Lloyd (Illustrator)

Other authors: Tony Weare (Illustrator)

Series: V For Vendetta (1-10)

A new trade paperback edition of the graphic novel that inspired the hit movie!A powerful story about loss of freedom and individuality, V FOR VENDETTA takes place in a totalitarian England following a devastating war that changed the face of the planet.In a world without political freedom, personal freedom and precious little faith in anything comes a mysterious man in a white porcelain mask who fights political oppressors through terrorism and seemingly absurd acts. It's a gripping tale of the blurred lines between ideological good and evil.This new trade paperbackedition features the improved production values and coloring from the 2005 hardcover.… (more)

English (165)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Indonesian (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (177)
I usually write my reviews not long after I finish a book or listening to an audio-book. I like to write them as soon as I can while the information is still fresh in the mind. However with V for Vendetta I waited a couple of days for me to digest what I had read.

Tales of dystopian worlds ruled by authoritarian governments getting toppled over are stories I find enjoyable. There's something about terrible despotic rulers getting their asses handed to them by an anti-hero seeking revenge that I find satisfying. You will find this in V For Vendetta.

While I enjoyed the story I felt there was something off. After I turned the last page the first thought that appeared in my head was "Oh, that's it?" I was expecting more out of it but I don't know what it is. Maybe I found the ending unsatisfactory. Or the main plot was missing something. Maybe a future reread will help.

Overall it was a good read. ( )
  ProfessorEX | Apr 15, 2021 |
A brilliant, well-executed dystopia with great characters and great writing. My only complaint is that unlike some of Alan Moore's other comics, I don't think David Lloyd's art has aged well at all. There are little moments where he shines, but there's nothing here that ascends to the level of Gibbons's work on Watchmen or Williams's work on Promethea. Not that this should stop you from reading it. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
To note - I am writing this review a quarter century after having read this. Please bear with me!

I had a boyfriend once who was into his comics. At first, I was thinking Batman? Well, that was true, but I didn't realize there was more to comics than The Fantastic Four and Thor.

He loaned me his copies of V for Vendetta to read. Wow. I was blown away. I had never read an adult comic (or perhaps I should say graphic novel?) The pictures, the dialog, the story. It was an amazing experience. I wanted more! It ended, I was sad. My boyfriend loaned me Sandman from #1 to whatever number we were up to in 1991. Also, all of his copies of Hellblazer.

I was hooked. I couldn't get enough.

I've read some of the reviews about this graphic novel. I've not re-read it since 1991. I do not know what I would say about it now, having read many other comics. What would I think about the anarchy? About the politics? I don't know. What I do know is it opened up a whole world to me and it is one of the graphic novels that I can still visualize in my head and remember scenes from so it was pretty powerful to me. (Still remembering the queen christening the waste treatment plant - as my then boyfriend let me know - Alan Moore is not a royalist!)

I liked the movie, but I liked the graphic novel more. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
Although it's a graphic novel, I'm going to call it a book. Because that's what I feel it is. It's a whole complex story, with many references and layers and excellent development of plot lines and characters. And the story progresses such that it sucks you right in and doesn't let go of you even at the end.

"Everybody is special. Everybody. Everybody is a hero, a lover, a fool, a villain. Everybody. Everybody has their story to tell."

Ratings:- ( )
  ShreyasDeshpande | Oct 24, 2020 |
"V for Vendetta" is one of the few movies that, in these days of crowded shelves and almost infinite digital storage, I chose to own a physical copy of. It is beautifully shot, perfectly cast and boldly told. It is that rare thing, a movie that dares to be true to its intent, even at the risk of being unpopular. The result is a cult classic.

Take a look at the trailer below to get a feel for what I mean.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCzfxcVrxfE&w=560&h=315]

I first saw it in the cinema in 2006 and found it startling and inspiring. At the time I was more transfixed by how well a comic (graphic novel for all you who just groaned) could be brought to the screen rather than by the political message. I saw the anti-fascist stance as obvious and necessary but the idea of fascism gripping the UK so firmly seemed like an exaggeration to make a point.

This year, for Bonfire Night, I decided to do something new. I read the "novelisation" of the movie or, rather, I listened to the audiobook, expertly narrated by Simon Vance.

I've always avoided novelisations. The word itself is ugly and the literary snob in me, which is quite happy to watch movies adapted from books, was instinctively scornful of reading novels adapted from movies.

As usual, my literary snob was an idiot. If I had come to this novel without seeing the movie, I would have been praising the quality of the writing and the structure of the story. It's well-written, faithful to the movie but enhancing it in ways that are appropriate to the novel form. I recommend it to you.

Listening to the audiobook in 2018, twelve years after seeing the movie, Britain as a fascist state no longer felt like an exaggeration to make a point. It felt like a possibility that we are only a few missteps away from. The mechanics of the manipulation of the media, the creation of enemies of the people, the appeal to national pride in a mostly-mythical glorious past, the exploitation of the fear and hatred of the foreign and the different all felt too contemporary to be dismissed.

V, the hero of this story, is not a nice man. Not a man you'd want to make friends with or even spend time with. When I first saw the movie I was horrified by his treatment of Evie, who he shapes into a weapon of sorts.

Now, I begin to understand that there may be times when we all need someone like V to remind us that our governments should be more afraid of us than we are of them. ( )
3 vote MikeFinnFiction | Sep 11, 2020 |

Craddock, SteveLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crain, DaleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dobbs, SiobhanColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitaker, SteveColouristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A few nights ago, I walked into a pub on my way home and ordered a Guinness.

Foreword.
Good evening, London. It's nine o' clock and this is the Voice of Fate broadcasting on 275 and 285 in the medium wave... It is the Fifth of the Eleventh, Nineteen-Ninety-Seven...
Good night England. Goodnight Home Service and V for Victory. Hello the Voice of Fate and V FOR VENDETTA. --introduction
And it's no good blaming the drop in work standards upon bad management, either...though, to be sure, the management is very bad. We've had a string of embezzlers, frauds, liars and lunatics making a string of catastrophic decisions. This is plain fact. But who elected them? It was you! You who appointed these people! You who gave them the power to make your decisions for you! While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short of deliberate. You have encouraged these malicious incompetents, who have made your working life a shambles. You have accepted without question their senseless orders. You have allowed them to fill your workspace with dangerous and unproven machines. You could have stopped them. All you had to say was 'no.' You have no spine. You have no pride. You are no longer an asset to the company
It does not do to rely too much on silent majorities, Evey, for silence is a fragile thing... One loud noise, and it's gone.
Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.
Please do NOT combine the novelization of the movie V for Vendetta with this, the graphic novel V for Vendetta, written by Alan Moore, illustrated by David Lloyd.

Uma poderosa e aterradora história sobre a perda da liberdade e cidadania em um mundo totalitário bem possível, V de Vingança permanece como uma das maiores obras dos quadrinhos e o trabalho que revelou ao mundo seus criadores, Alan Moore e David Lloyd.

Encenada em uma Inglaterra de um futuro imaginário que se entregou ao fascismo, esta arrebatadora história captura a natureza sufocante da vida em um estado policial autoritário e a força redentora do espírito humano que se rebela contra esta situação. Obra de surpreendente clareza e inteligência, V de Vingança traz inigualável profundidade de caracterizações e verossimilhança, em um audacioso conto de opressão e resistência.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,869,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible