Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank…

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

by Frank Miller (Writer/Penciller), John Costanza (Letterer), Klaus Janson (Inker), Lynn Varley (Colourist)

Series: The Dark Knight (1), Batman

English (87)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (92)
This is a goddamn fucking masterpiece. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
I had my doubts coming into this, not being a real fan of Miller's work in '300' and the few 'Sin City' comics I had read becoming less interesting as I thought more about them, but, with 'The Dark Knight Returns' Miller has brought 'Batman' to its full, dark potential.

Set in a vague near-future (on Earth-31 for those of you who keep track of that thing), Batman has been retired ten years, since the death of Jason, the second Robin. The other superheroes, with the exception of Superman, have retired or disappeared as well. Gotham City is overrun with a ruthless gang called The Mutants and there seems to be little that can be done with an ever-ineffectual mayor and Commissioner Gordon weeks away from an enforced retirement.

Some of the books concepts are dated, an inevitable outcome for something so timely, with its cold-war subplot and Reaganesque cowboy president, not to mention the fashion. If only street gangs were as prone to fluorescent colored jumpsuits. It'd be a cinch to catch them all.

I liked the new Robin as well, even if she looks like a teenage Dexter from 'Dexter's Lab', I was tempted to read all of her dialogue in his weird accent. She generally knew what she was about and acted about her age, which is a hard thing for a sidekick to do.

In general the book was a downer, duh, but there was plenty of humor ("No spud! I'm a slicer-dicer!") and Miller incorporated enough other DC characters to give a shape to the universe without seeming like he was trying to incorporate as many appearances as possible, which can happen. Lana Lang was a nice touch. That reason makes this graphic novel/limited series/whatever accessible to those who don't have a handle on 50+ years of comics continuity and allows room for a real story to develop.

I think that any comics fan is going to enjoy this as well as anyone whose willing to accept that the comics can provide as subtle and absorbing a story as any traditional novel.

Dark Knight

Next: 'The Dark Knight Strikes Back' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Although I am not much into comics in general, and especially not into superhero type ones, Batman is the kind of morally ambiguous antihero that I enjoy. And nowhere more so than in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, which examines the morality and psychology of the superhero vigilantism.

Gotham's psychologists, televangelists, law-enforcement officers, criminals, concerned citizens and others all weigh in on the matter. Is Batman a hero, or a fascist oppressor of civil liberties, at whose feet much of the blame for the dismal state of society can be laid?

Bonus: Misters Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent finally get to shed some light on who beats whom.

I've seen better art and I wasn't a fan of the thirteen year old female Robin, but other than that, this is as good as American superhero comics get. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Couldn't get into this. I used to really enjoy comics as a teenager, but this didn't do anything for me. I picked up the ebook version on sale for $5 since I like Batman and the plot summary seemed interesting. Unfortunately, about a third of the way through it I'd had enough. The artwork is thoroughly unimpressive, and the story just didn't flow very well, IMO. ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
One of the greatest series ever written for the comics. Reading it now some of the story points feel a bit dated, the Regan 80s, etc, but in context it's just fantastic. If you are a huge Superman fan this one might get you a little crazy. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 16, 2018 |
"The stories are convoluted, difficult to follow and crammed with far too much text. The drawings offer a grotesquely muscle-bound Batman and Superman, not the lovable champions of old.... If this book is meant for kids, I doubt that they will be pleased. If it is aimed at adults, they are not the sort I want to drink with."

Miller, FrankWriter/Pencillerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Costanza, JohnLetterermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Janson, KlausInkermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Varley, LynnColouristmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, AlanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Will Jungkuntz 1955 - 1985
I've got the home stretch all to myself when the readings stop making sense.
The time has come. You know it in your soul. For I am your soul... you cannot escape me... you are puny, you are small—you are nothing—a hollow shell, a rusty trap that cannot hold me—smoldering, I burn you—burning you, I flare, hot and bright and fierce and beautiful—you cannot stop me—not with wine or vows or the weight of age—you cannot stop me but still you try—still you run—you try to drown me out... but your voice is weak...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 156389341X, Hardcover)

If any comic has a claim to have truly reinvigorated the genre, then The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller--known also for his excellent Sin City series and his superb rendering of the blind superhero Daredevil--is probably the top contender. Batman represented all that was wrong in comics and Miller set himself a tough task taking on the camp crusader and turning this laughable, innocuous children's cartoon character into a hero for our times. The great Alan Moore (V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, the arguably peerless Watchmen) argued that only someone of Miller's stature could have done this. Batman is a character known well beyond the confines of the comic world (as are his retinue) and so reinventing him, while keeping his limiting core essentials intact, was a huge task.

Miller went far beyond the call of duty. The Dark Knight is a success on every level. Firstly it does keep the core elements of the Batman myth intact, with Robin, Alfred the butler, Commissioner Gordon, and the old roster of villains, present yet brilliantly subverted. Secondly the artwork is fantastic--detailed, sometimes claustrophobic, psychotic. Lastly it's a great story: Gotham City is a hell on earth, street gangs roam but there are no heroes. Decay is ubiquitous. Where is a hero to save Gotham? It is 10 years since the last recorded sighting of the Batman. And things have got worse than ever. Bruce Wayne is close to being a broken man but something is keeping him sane: the need to see change and the belief that he can orchestrate some of that change. Batman is back. The Dark Knight has returned. Awesome. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:42 -0400)

After ten years away from the public eye, a wave of violence in Gotham City brings Batman back as a vigilante.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,630,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible