dismiss

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

by Frank Miller (Writer/Penciller), John Costanza (Letterer), Klaus Janson (Inker), Lynn Varley (Colourist)

Other authors: Klaus Janson (Inker)

Series: The Dark Knight (1), Batman

"Together with inker Klaus Janson and colorist Lynn Varley, writer/artist Frank Miller completely reinvents the legend of Batman in his saga of a near-future Gotham City gone to rot, ten years after the Dark Knight's retirement. This masterpiece of modern comics storytelling, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, brings to vivid life a dark world and an even darker man. The Dark Knight returns in a blaze of fury, taking on a whole new generation of criminals and matching their level of violence. He is soon joined by a new Robin--a girl named Carrie Kelley, who proves to be just as invaluable as her predecessors. But can Batman and Robin deal with the threat posed by their deadliest enemies, after years of incarceration have made them into perfect psychopaths? And more important, can anyone survive the coming fallout from an undeclared war between the superpowers -- or the clash of what were once the world's greatest heroes? Celebrate thirty years of one of the most influential stories ever told in the comics medium with the undisputed classic BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, now with a new cover and introduction"--… (more)

English (89)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (94)
My sister and I grew up watching Adam West's Batman, and that interpretation of the superhero will always have a special place in my heart. Miller's version is much darker and so this review will be sure to respect the gravitas of the work in question and not make any inappropriately silly remarks more suited to the 1960s television version; that's right, this is going to be a…Wholly serious book review, Batman!

No, but seriously, The Dark Knight Returns is amazing. ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |

No, but seriously, The Dark Knight Returns is amazing. ( )
  leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
‘Batman: The Dark Knight Returns' is not only a good Batman story, it is a great graphic novel. Gotham has never been so forsaken or forlorn, as this story begins. It is in need of its hero, though its hero has also become a dark reflection of the city’s increasing madness. The story never lets this dynamic go. Batman and his city are always a reflection of each other, always in conflicting harmony and always a reflection on what our society could become. The plot is well-penned and engaging both for its bone-crunching action as well as it’s themes. Fans of Watchmen and Sin City alike will find things they can enjoy here.
The art is before the advent of computers and is thus all done with markers and pens. Though it is stylistically reminiscent of a different time, the masterful work holds up to this day. The movement and framing in many of the panels adds to the tension and drama, and the skill of the draftsmanship is impressive. Anyone who has an interest in hand-drawn art should flip through this just to take notes.
The ending is extremely dark - so be set for a hard journey if you pick this up. The story is full of some of the worst aspects of humanity, and even Joker takes things further than you would have thought he could. But as with most Batman stories this is a tale of a man overcoming himself and a world that has degenerated to the brink of madness. It is great to watch Batman come into his own again and then see where his life culminates. Fans of graphic novels in general should read this for the excellent story and art and this is a must for any fan of the Bat.
1 vote LSPopovich | Apr 8, 2020 |
These are the four individual issues, not the combined graphic novel
  vandinem | Aug 17, 2019 |
I really wanted to love this like I loved Watchmen, but alas, it wasn't the same. There was too much exposition in the form of talking heads or internal dialogue. But it did have an excellent dark, heavy atmosphere which the recent films did a good job of translating to the big screen. And some of the big panels were really excellent. Ultimately, while I do like this version of Batman and I couldn't help but enjoy the fact that Robin's alternate identity is Carrie, it was a bit of a slog for me. ( )
  Seafox | Jul 24, 2019 |
"The stories are convoluted, difficult to follow and crammed with far too much text. The drawings offer a grotesquely muscle-bound Batman and Superman, not the lovable champions of old.... If this book is meant for kids, I doubt that they will be pleased. If it is aimed at adults, they are not the sort I want to drink with."

Miller, FrankWriter/Pencillerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Costanza, JohnLetterermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Janson, KlausInkermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Varley, LynnColouristmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Janson, KlausInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, AlanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Will Jungkuntz 1955 - 1985
I've got the home stretch all to myself when the readings stop making sense.
The time has come. You know it in your soul. For I am your soul... you cannot escape me... you are puny, you are small—you are nothing—a hollow shell, a rusty trap that cannot hold me—smoldering, I burn you—burning you, I flare, hot and bright and fierce and beautiful—you cannot stop me—not with wine or vows or the weight of age—you cannot stop me but still you try—still you run—you try to drown me out... but your voice is weak...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,909,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible