Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (1986)

by Frank Miller (Writer/Penciller), John Costanza (Letterer), Klaus Janson (Inker), Lynn Varley (Colourist)

Other authors: Klaus Janson (Inker)

Series: The Dark Knight (1), Batman

"Together with inker Klaus Janson and colorist Lynn Varley, writer/artist Frank Miller completely reinvents the legend of Batman in his saga of a near-future Gotham City gone to rot, ten years after the Dark Knight's retirement. This masterpiece of modern comics storytelling, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, brings to vivid life a dark world and an even darker man. The Dark Knight returns in a blaze of fury, taking on a whole new generation of criminals and matching their level of violence. He is soon joined by a new Robin--a girl named Carrie Kelley, who proves to be just as invaluable as her predecessors. But can Batman and Robin deal with the threat posed by their deadliest enemies, after years of incarceration have made them into perfect psychopaths? And more important, can anyone survive the coming fallout from an undeclared war between the superpowers -- or the clash of what were once the world's greatest heroes? Celebrate thirty years of one of the most influential stories ever told in the comics medium with the undisputed classic BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, now with a new cover and introduction"--… (more)

English (93)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (99)
Revisiting this after a long hiatus, it's still the mixed bag I remember it being. The first half is really great, but the second half just feels, uh, half-baked - good luck trying to figure out the overarching plot of this one. Miller's occasional political argument insertions don't help matters, either but (but!) he's at the top of his game artistically here - messy, but in a blocky, powerful way. Much like the Batman iteration at its center, this is definitely showing its age, but at the center of it all there's something about it to keep everything going. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
It doesn't even matter that the ending makes as little sense as something out of the Adam West era. The way its largely told in news segments, the constant shifting of perspectives, and the insanely good artwork all make for one of the best and most pleasantly chaotic comic book stories I've ever read. ( )
  jasonrkron | Jan 15, 2021 |
Not at all the cuddly superhero stories you've been told. Now, the world lies in the grip of nuclear warfare and Batman is an aged vigilante plagued by cynicism and doubt. Highly intriguing stuff. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
I don't particularly care for the art or the story. I find it both repetitive and cluttered. DNF at page 103. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Sep 14, 2020 |
"The stories are convoluted, difficult to follow and crammed with far too much text. The drawings offer a grotesquely muscle-bound Batman and Superman, not the lovable champions of old.... If this book is meant for kids, I doubt that they will be pleased. If it is aimed at adults, they are not the sort I want to drink with."

Miller, FrankWriter/Pencillerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Varley, LynnIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janson, KlausInkersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, AlanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Will Jungkuntz 1955 - 1985
I've got the home stretch all to myself when the readings stop making sense.
The time has come. You know it in your soul. For I am your soul... you cannot escape me... you are puny, you are small—you are nothing—a hollow shell, a rusty trap that cannot hold me—smoldering, I burn you—burning you, I flare, hot and bright and fierce and beautiful—you cannot stop me—not with wine or vows or the weight of age—you cannot stop me but still you try—still you run—you try to drown me out... but your voice is weak...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,051,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible