Sin City: The Hard Goodbye

by Frank Miller

Series: Sin City (Vol. 1)

The first volume of the crime-comic megahit that introduced the now-infamous character Marv and spawned a blockbuster film returns in a newly redesigned edition, with a brand-new cover by Frank Miller - some of his first comics art in years! It's a lousy room in a lousy part of a lousy town. But Marv doesn't care. There's an angel in the room. She says her name is Goldie. A few hours later, Goldie's dead without a mark on her perfect body, and the cops are coming before anyone but Marv could know she's been killed. Somebody paid good money for this frame . . .… (more)

Absolutely amazing work, both graphically and content wise. I find Miller's artwork very appealing. It really adds so much value to the overall reading experience.

The story in [b:The Hard Goodbye|392297|Sin City, Vol. 1 The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)|Frank Miller|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1396598209s/392297.jpg|3696736] is very strong. No time is wasted on unnecessary things and the display of the inner thoughts of the main character Marv is astonishing.

Very dark, yet readable. Well developed, deep characters and a compelling story from the first to the last page. ( )
  bbbart | Dec 27, 2020 |
I'm coming at this as an avid fan of the movie. As the movie apperas hyper-faithful, I have no complaints and feel justified in my appreciation for the series in two mediums. If you like/hate one, you'll like/hate the other.

As to my interest in Feminist criticisms of Frank Miller ... yeah, it's pretty machismo. It's no more offensive thus far than most film noirs, barring one rape/violent-sex metaphor which was uncomfortable. Even then, this is an ugly city with Marv being the good guy by virtue of having a sense of chivalry attached to his leathery head.

None of the women thus far have proven weak in any sense. They are the stuff of nerdy adolescent male wet dreams, sure, but can hold their own despite Miller's man's man's man's world. Granted, gender roles are clearly set even if the transgendered one-off is treated rather lightly.

I don't yet know enough about Frank Miller to know if this hard-boiled yarn is parody, resignation or perhaps simply rolling with a paradigm. Perhaps there can be some scorn in the latter. I'll grab the second book someday and see if my charity is worth withering. ( )
  NaleagDeco | Dec 13, 2020 |
This was one that once I started it, I could not put it down until the very end. The art on this is definitely gritty and well suited to the noir story of revenge that Miller presents. I can certainly see why this work was such a breakthrough in its time. It is fast paced, and it grabs you from the start. If you like hard-boiled works like Hammett, Spillane, so on, you should read this even if you are not a fan of graphic novels. This is one that will stay with me for a while. And, after seeing the movie, I can appreciate a lot of what the movie left out, but I can also see how the movie was very successful in capturing the "feel" of the comic. Very good reading overall. ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
“Sin City” is about as pulpy as a detective story can be. From the high contrast shadow and light artwork, to the brutal story about human nature, every aspect of this story pushes the limits of the genre. It is an interesting read made great by an excellent main character.
The artwork is black and white with minimal line work. Most of the frames are either all white or all black with most of the figures drawn in minimalist blocks. The artist pushes this style to the breaking point. Some frames do not work because of the lack of detail but some are the most dynamic I’ve seen in a graphic novel. It’s hit or miss but it is always interesting and fits the tone perfectly.
The tone is dark, and brutal with the worst of humanity brought into the light. This is not for the young or the faint of heart. There is torture, sex, hyper violence, and mutilation but all of these elements are used in service of the story and not just for shock value. Everything is a natural extension of a city fallen into hell with a man trying not to fall with it.
Marv is one if my favorite graphic novel characters. He is savage, doing a lot of the violence and yet he is also a broken human. He has many moments where he questions himself and his own humanity. This gives weight to the moment he shows his teeth. It makes the violence truly horrifying as it is at the expense of others and Marv. Without this duality the story would have little beyond shock value.
‘Sin city’ not only earns its name, it embodies it. The tone, the content, and the artwork all work together to make this story as twisted as you can get without going overboard. But it is the character of Marv that puts all these things into context. Anyone who is a cares for hard-boiled detective novels should try this out and anyone interested in character studies and designs needs to buckle up and enjoy this ride. ( )
  LSPopovich | Apr 8, 2020 |
The story in itself is not anything special, but the art is amazing. Not anything like beautiful, but spectacular nonetheless. ( )
  Fardo | Oct 15, 2019 |
For Lynn
The night is hot as hell. Everything sticks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,842,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible