The Satires of Juvenal by Juvenal

The Satires of Juvenal

by Juvenal, Juvenal

1,419128,050 (3.78)15

English (10)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (12)
From the Urvater of Political Incorrectness: An equal opportunity hater. Brutal and brilliant.
  AstonishingChristina | Mar 4, 2018 |
I've long been sceptical of contemporary novels that are advertized as satires. Consider Jonathan Coe's 'Rotters' Club,' which was okay, but compared even to a supposedly realistic novel like 'The Line of Beauty,' contained little satire beyond its propensity for pointing out that people ate some really bad food in the seventies. So I finally got around to reading Juvenal, and my scepticism has been gloriously affirmed: yes, satire can be really, really mean; it can be full of almost explosive moral indignation.

'For what is disgrace if he keeps the money?'
'What can I do in Rome? I can't tell lies!'
'Of all that luckless poverty involves, nothing is harsher/ than the fact that it makes people funny.'
'A poor man's rights are confined to this:/ having been pounded and punched to a jelly, to beg and implore/ that he may be allowed to go home with a few teeth in his head.'
'When power which is virtually equal/ to that of the gods is flattered, there's nothing it can't believe.'
'You must know the color of your own bread.'
'that which is coated and warmed with so many odd preparations... what shall we call it? A face, or an ulcer?'
'If somebody owns a dwarf, we call him/ Atlas; a negro, Swan; a bent and disfigured girl/ Europa. Curs that are listless, and bald from years of mange/ and lick the rim of an empty lamp for oil, are given/ the name of Leopard.'
'However far back you care to go in tracing your name/ the fact remains that your clan began in a haven for outlaws.'
'Do you think it's nice and easy to thrust a proper-sized penis/ into a person's guts, encountering yesterday's dinner?/ The slave who ploughs a field has a lighter task than the one/ who ploughs its owner.'
'Don't you attach any value to the fact that, had I not been/ a loyal and devoted client, your wife would still be a virgin?'
'Shame is jeered as she leaves the city.'
'The whole of Rome is inside the Circus.'
'What other man these days... could bear to prefer his life to his plate, and his soul to his money?'
'If I happen to find a totally honest man, I regard/ that freak as I would a baby centaur.'
'Tears are genuine when they fall at the loss of money.'

Not to mention the classics, 'it's hard not to write satire,' 'who watches the watchmen,' 'bread and circuses,' 'healthy mind in a healthy body' (all translated slightly differently here).

All of these are funnier or crueler in context.

Rudd's translation (in the Oxford World's Classics edition) seems solid; I haven't compared it to the Latin. He translates line for line, which I imagine will make it easier to follow the original language, and in a loose meter which allows him to make everything make sense. It's rarely pretty, but it is readable. And his notes are excellent. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
Edition: // Descr: xliv, 240 p. 19 cm. // Series: College Series of Latin Authors Call No. { 877 J98 5 c. #2 } Series Edited by Clement Lawrence Smith and Tracy Peck Edited with Introduction, Notes on Thirteen Satires, and Indices by Henry Parks Wright. // //
  ColgateClassics | Oct 26, 2012 |
Edition: // Descr: xliv, 240 p. 19 cm. // Series: College Series of Latin Authors Call No. { 877 J98 5 c. #1 } Series Edited by Clement Lawrence Smith and Tracey Peck Edited with Introduction, Notes on Thirteen Satires, and Indices by Henry Parks Wright. // //
  ColgateClassics | Oct 26, 2012 |
Edition: // Descr: 186 p. 20 cm. // Series: Call No. { 877 J98 9 } Translated by Rolfe Humphries. // //

Juvenalprimary authorall editionscalculated
Humphries, RolfeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Humphries, RolfeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janssen, JacquesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Villeneuve, FrançoisEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Must I be listening always, and not pay them back? How they bore me,
(the Rolfe Humphries translation)

Perhaps more than any other writer, Juvenal (c. AD 55-138) captures the splendour, the squalor and the sheer energy of everyday Roman life. In "The Sixteen Satires", he evokes a fascinating world of whores, fortune-tellers, boozy politicians, slick lawyers, shameless sycophants, ageing flirts and downtrodden teachers. A member of the traditional land-owning class that was rapidly seeing power slip into the hands of outsiders, Juvenal also creates savage portraits of decadent aristocrats - male and female - seeking excitement among the lower orders of actors and gladiators, and of the jumped-up sons of newly-rich former slaves. Constantly comparing the corruption of his own generation with its stern and upright forebears, Juvenal's powers of irony and invective make his work a stunningly satirical and bitter denunciation of the degeneracy of Roman society.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:43 -0400)

Presents an English translation of Juvenal's first and second century writings "The Sixteen Satires", which depict everyday Roman life, and create a dark image of decadent aristocrats seeking excitement among the lower class citizens.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,185,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible