Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart

by Sarah MacLean

Series: Love by Numbers (3)

When he discovers Juliana Fiori, a favorite subject of gossip due to her scandalous behavior, hiding in his carriage, the Duke of Leighton vows to teach the reckless beauty a lesson in propriety.

This was the weakest of the three for me, I think I didn't care as much for either of the leads as I wanted to, but it was still worth reading. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
I just started this author. Read book 1 and 2 of the series and simply loved. Sadly book 3 was nowhere near as good. It was boring. The romance didn't make sense. She just sees him. He looks fantastic and she is forever chasing him even when he appears least interested. Saw a lot of reviews where readers said they couldn't connect with leighton. I couldn't connect with Julia either. There was nothing in Leighton that he apparently did to get her chasing him except for extraordinary good looks. Too lame for me ( )
  deepatarak | Jun 29, 2021 |
There was so much about this book that was different. The hero was an arse and as frosty as they come. The heroine a truly free spirit (she was from Italy and not England). For the first time in a long time, the hero needed the heroine more than she needed him. Sure, she was in trouble, but she was a strong woman who had a lot pride. The hero genuinely goes through HUGE changes in this book. I found them quite convincing, though I'm sure it would've never happened in that time period. It is just such a wonderful love story that I cannot recommend it enough. ( )
  JordanSummers | Mar 31, 2020 |
I just couldn't get into this one. I am not a fan of the plot line in which the heroine chases the hero. While I like an insecure heroine, Juliana's lack of self-respect bothered me. It wasn't that she didn't think well of herself, it was that she chased and chased and chased Simon despite his lack of encouragement. It made me annoyed with her. (2.5 stars) ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart
3 Stars

Simon Pearson, Duke of Leighton, is in need of a wife to forestall the imminent scandal to his family name. Juliana Fiori, the high spirited and tempestuous half-sister to the Marquess of Ralston, is the last person Simon would consider suitable marriage material, but that does not stop the two from clashing at every turn.

A disappointing conclusion to a series that begins so well.

Neither Simon nor Juliana are particularly appealing either as individuals or as a couple. Juliana’s numerous TSTL moments grate on the nerves and her derision towards Penelope makes her quite unlikable. Simon’s excessive arrogance and disdain for those he considers beneath him are a complete turn off. Although this is mitigated at the end, it is not sufficient to overcome his initial bigoted characterization.

The romance feels forced as the development of Simon and Juliana’s feelings is inconsistent with their personalities. It is difficult to believe that someone as preoccupied with social status, reputation and propriety as Simon would act in the way he does. Moreover, Juliana’s constant rejection of Simon’s proposals is incomprehensible considering her own status in society and desire to be accepted.

That said, Sarah MacLean’s writing is very engaging and the updates in the lives of characters from the first two books is lovely. Even though this installment is weak, the first book in the series Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake is absolutely fabulous and I cannot recommend it enough!

On a final note, I’m looking forward to reading A Rogue by Any Other Name, the first book in the spin-off series, which focuses on Penelope. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Sarah MacLeanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kreinik, BarrieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Un momento con una donna capricciosa
vale undici anni di vita noiosa.
A single moment with a fiery female
is worth eleven years of a boring life.
(Italian Proverb)
Trees are nothing but a canopy for scandal. Elegant ladies remain indoors after dark. ~ A Treatise on the Most Exquisite of Ladies
For Carrie, with love and gratitude. Thanks for getting me to back to Base Camp.
In retrospect, there were four actions that Miss Juliana Fiori should have reconsidered that evening.

She lives for passion

Bold, impulsive, and a magnet for trouble, Juliana Fiori is no simpering English miss. She refuses to play by society's rules: she speaks her mind, cares nothing for the approval of the ton, and can throw a punch with remarkable accuracy. Her scandalous nature makes her a favorite subject of London's most practiced gossips...and precisely the kind of woman the Duke of Leighton wants far far away from him.

He swears by reputation.

Scandal is the last thing Simon Pearson has room for in his well-ordered world. The Duke of Disdain is too focused on keeping his title untainted and his secrets unknown. But when he discovers Juliana hiding in his carriage late one evening--risking everything he holds dear--he swears to teach the reckless beauty a lesson in propriety.

She has other plans, however; she wants two weeks to prove that even an unflappable duke is not above passion.

Sarah MacLean is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,540,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible