Blood Memory by Greg Iles

Blood Memory (2005)

by Greg Iles (Author)

English (29)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
I found a copy of this at our beach house and picked it up for something to read while we were there - I couldn't put it down. I loved it. Cat is a mess, personally and now her professional career is taking a dive. Suffering from panic attacks at the last two crime scenes Cat is struggling to get control of her life. She is pregnant by her married boyfriend, trying to withdraw from alcohol and is having flashbacks of her fathers death. It seems that the story she has been told all her life is not true and the truth is muddled up in her head with blackouts, manic episodes, and alcohol. Now the police think she may have some inside information into the serial murders that are taking place or she may actually be the perpetrator. The truth however is far more disturbing.

I loved how this book unraveled, as Cat tries to piece together what is going on with her. Iles has hooked me with his subtle writing, it was like peeling an onion with each layer you find something new. His descriptions of the South and southern culture bring the bayou right to you and allow you to feel the humidity in the air and the deeply secretive ways of many of the little towns near New Orleans.

I am also impressed that Iles has been able to capture the fear, confusion and insight of a female character which seems so difficult for so many male writers who try to have a female protagonist. Kudos Iles I will be seeking you out for more! So glad I found this one. ( )
  ReadingGrrl | Apr 27, 2015 |
Greg Iles definitely knows how to tell a multi-layered story very well. As is often true with his novels, the protagonist becomes a vehicle for the exploration of a human experience via the examination of its psychological, social, and physical perspectives. Iles has demonstrated the consistent ability to describe the macro and micro of complex issues, in this case incest/sexual abuse. Set in New Orleans, the protagonist moves from confusion to complicity to clarity in a manner that strikes this reader as realistic and very human. Nice twists and turns as well, which are de rigeur for a good serial killer mystery. ( )
  hemlokgang | Dec 24, 2014 |
I have read a couple of his books recently and I must say I find some of what he writes unrealistic. It is not in the factual issues in this book but in the way some of the characters behavior especially law enforcement. He has brilliant well developed characters who act out of character. ( )
  shazjhb | Sep 21, 2014 |
This book was fast-paced and kept me reading, so I guess for that reason I have to say it wasn't bad.

However, I think when somebody told Greg Iles to write what he knows, he really, really took it to heart. This is the third book by him that I've read, and they're starting to seem pretty repetitive. Every one takes place in the city of Natchez, Mississippi; every one has a character who wants to "save" the city; there's always somebody having an affair, and a separate couple with a budding romance; one character is always a doctor and another is always a lawyer; and finally, snakes and the Mississippi river generally seem to feature heavily. I'm beginning to question this author's creativity, as it seems like he just sticks these same elements into a blender and randomly selects which one will be the main plot point. ( )
  perkybookworm | Apr 15, 2014 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I'd not read Greg Iles before, but this was a good thriller that kept me interested throughout, despite the somewhat disturbing subject matter. And unlike most abridged audios, this one didn't appear to sound abridged. In other words, it read fairly smoothly & I didn't seem to be missing out on a lot that might've been cut out. I may have to look for more by this author. ( )
  indygo88 | Feb 8, 2014 |
Memory is the guardian of all things.

—CICERO

Evil being the root of mystery,

pain is the root of knowledge.

—ERASMUS
This novel is dedicate to those women who realize in the dead of night that some is wrong, and has been for a long time. More than most, they know that Faulkner's words are true: "There is no such thing as was—only is. If was existed, there would be no grief or sorrow." You are not alone.
When does murder begin?
My Work is Never Done

gregiles.com- Catherine "Cat" Ferry is a forensic odontologist, a specialist in bite marks and the clues they provide. But while Cat's colleagues know her as a world-class scientist, she secretly attempts to manage her fragile psyche with alcohol, delving into the minds of rapists and murderers yet never allowing her own frightening past to creep into the foreground.

Cat's latest case involves a disturbing murder in New Orleans. Banishing her personal demons, she focuses on the potential killer, until one morning she's paralyzed by a panic attack at a grisly murder scene. When another victim dies in the same shocking way - raising fears that a serial killer is at large - Cat blacks out over the victim's mutilated corpse.

Suspended from the FBI task force, plagued by nightmares, and at odds with her married lover - a homicide detective - Cat retreats to her family's secluded antebellum estate. When some of her forensic chemicals are spilled in her childhood bedroom, two bloody footprints are revealed. This sight shocks her more than any corpse she has seen in her career. Cat's father was murdered when she was eight years old, but she always believed the crime occurred in the garden outside their home.

Driven by this fragment of her past, Cat attempts a forensic reconstruction of the decades-old crime. Soon both she and the FBI realize that the murders occurring now in New Orleans are intimately bound up with Cat's family and her past.

Greg Iles is a masterful storyteller. In this dramatic novel of suspense he deftly probes the relationship between good and evil, and the unique power of human memory to reconstruct - or completely reinvent - the past.

Hailed by Dan Brown (The Da Vinci Code) for his "utterly consuming" suspense fiction, New York Times bestselling author Greg Iles melds forensic detail with penetrating insight into the heart of a killer in a southern town.

Some memories live deep in the soul, indelible and dangerous, waiting to be resurrected....Forensic expert "Cat" Ferry is suspended from an FBI task force when the world-class odontologist is inexplicably stricken with panic attacks and blackouts while investigating a chain of brutal murders. Returning to her Mississippi hometown, Cat finds herself battling with alcohol, plagued by nightmares, and entangled with a married detective. Then, in her childhood bedroom, some spilled chemicals reveal two bloody footprints...and the trauma of her father's murder years earlier comes flooding back. Facing the secrets of her past, Cat races to connect them to a killer's present-day violence. But what emerges is the frightening possibility that Cat herself has blood on her hands....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:17 -0400)

Experiencing panic attacks and blackouts at murder scenes, forensics expert Cat Ferry is suspended from her task force and returns to her Mississippi hometown, where she discovers disturbing information about her father's murder, which occurred when Cat had been eight years old.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,903,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible