Squids Will Be Squids: Fresh Morals, Beastly…

Squids Will Be Squids: Fresh Morals, Beastly Fables (1998)

by Jon Scieszka

This book is full of short fables that are silly and have simple and purposeful morals at the end Literature ( )
  bjacobsen15 | Oct 9, 2017 |
Oh my.  I laughed out loud several times and read several to my husband, who also lol'd, even though he didn't see the pix.  This should be in every classroom library so those 'sitting in the back of the room goofing off instead of paying attention' kids will have a book to love.  And it'd be a great Writing Prompt exercise.  Just don't write a fable about a 'bossy jerk guy' without changing enough details so he won't recognize himself and throw you off a cliff.  How did I miss this until now?  I know that just about everything by this team is wonderful. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Hilarious "new" Aesop's Fables for the 21st century. Truly not to be missed. Enjoyment and words of wisdom for all ages. ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
  ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
For me to know - J.S.

For you to find out. - L.S.

Admit it. You know you'd just love to tell stories about all of the annoying, weird, pain-in-the-neck people you know. But you wouldn't want to be a gossip. Well here's how it's done. Make like Aesop (and legions of storytellers before him): change the people to animals and add a moral. Now your stories aren't rude gossip of bad jokes. They're fables! Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith twisted fairy tales in The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales. Now they've unlocked the ancient secret of animal tales, and the world of fables may never be the same. The moral of the story? If you can't say something nice about someone, change the guy's name to Donkey or Squid. (0-670-88135-X)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067088135X, Hardcover)

Every once in a while a book crosses our desks that makes us sit quietly delighted--except for a few squeaks of unmitigated joy--and this oversized, energized, stylized, highly prized book of fables is one of them. Jon Scieszka has a simple philosophy of the fable: "If you can't say something nice about someone, change the guy's name to Donkey or Squid." After all, the alleged Aesop did it. Squids Will Be Squids offers lessons such as "Everyone knows frogs can't skateboard, but it's kind of sad that they believe everything they see on TV." Sure, it's goofy, but it's also saying to kids, "Don't believe everything you see on TV." In "Duckbilled Platypus vs. Beefsnakstick," the bragging platypus and his beefy buddy teach us "Just because you have a lot of stuff, don't think you're so special." Of course, there is nothing heavy-handed here--morals such as "He who smelt it, dealt it" and "Elephants never forget, except sometimes" satirically prance amid the more heartfelt snippets of sagacity.

Scieszka and illustrator Lane Smith are unparalleled in their eccentricity and unrelenting in their boyish, twisted-yet-innocent zeal. In co-creations from The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales to The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs to Math Curse, Scieszka's wacko sense of humor and Smith's quirky, always gorgeous artwork thrillingly congeal in Molly Leach's creative, exuberant design. We see many picture books that are better suited for adults than kids, but this fine specimen is truly meant for goofballs of all ages. (Click to see a sample spread. Illustration © 1998 Lane Smith, reproduced with permission of Viking, a division of Penguin Putnam.) (All ages) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

Contemporary fables with tongue-in-cheek morals address such topics as homework, curfews, and television commercials.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,734,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible