When the Thrill Is Gone by Walter Mosley

When the Thrill Is Gone

by Walter Mosley

Series: Leonid McGill (3)

This is the third entry in Mosley's Leonid McGill series. McGill is a PI with lots of connections in the deep underworld; people owe him favors, but other people would be happy to see him gone, and the police are always looking for a reason to roust him, or better yet, put him away for good. He's smart, he's cool (mostly), and he's determined to stay out of jail, and on the righteous path as he sees it. He is also trying very hard to save his youngest child from the mistakes of his own youth, but the boy is scary smart and scared of nothing. I'd hate to live in McGill's world, but if I ever found myself there I would certainly want him looking out for me. Good gritty noir. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Jun 18, 2018 |
This is the second book in the Leonid McGill series that I have read. I enjoy reading about the character – – he's in his mid-50s and despite being about five and a half inches tall, a real bad ass. I enjoy McGill's reveries about life as I do Robert Parker's Spencer character's quips and insults. McGill knows his way around New York and around the harassments and issues with the New York City Police Department. I will continue to read further books in the series. ( )
  writemoves | Jan 30, 2017 |
I enjoyed this, as I enjoyed the first book featuring Leonid McGill, The Long Fall. The boxing analogies and metaphors were a little heavy-handed (so to speak) but Leonid's patchwork family and cast of crusty friends make for an entertaining adventure. In this episode, Leonid is hired by a woman claiming that her billionaire husband is trying to kill her - though it turns out she is not who she seems, and neither is her husband. ( )
  tulikangaroo | May 30, 2012 |
This is the third book by Mosley featuring Leonid McGill, but I have not yet read the first two. I was able to get along quite well though, without the full history of the characters. There were references to past significant events, which were obviously the major plot of earlier books, but the details of those stories were not needed to enjoy this book.
There was one major plot line in this book, with other things going on that will carry through to future books. McGill gets a new client, a woman identifying herself as the wife of a billionaire, whose first two wives died under mysterious circumstances. She tells him that her husband murdered the first two wives and now she feels in danger because he is having an affair. After she leaves his office, he looks into her story and quickly discovers that she is not who she claimed to be. He works on the case anyway, and this story thread plays out nicely.
Along the way, he is also asked by an old friend of his father to locate a missing person. He agrees to do this as a favor, and this thread is not fully resolved by the book's end. His relationships with family members and friends also takes up a large part of the book. These will obviously continue. I enjoyed the book overall and will probably catch up with the first two books and read any new ones. This was a quick, easy read, hard to put down. ( )
  BillPilgrim | Nov 10, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This review appeared on my website: http://aliveontheshelves.com/2011/06/review-when-the-thrill-is-gone-by-walter-mo...

Leonid McGill is a former thug, trying to go straight. He was a bad guy who worked for bad guys, but he doesn’t want to be that guy anymore. Unfortunately for Leonid, there are too many ties to his past and no one — from organized crime kingpin Harris Vaartan to honest cop Carson Kitteridge — is willing to let him forget it in Walter Mosley’s When the Thrill Is Gone.

When a beautiful woman tells a detective she needs his help, he’s almost obligated to rescue her (at least in the fiction aisles). Even though McGill knows that Chrystal Tyler is lying to him, he takes her case. She has a stack of cash, he needs the money and he has problems of his own: a cheating wife, a son with a budding criminal career, and a best friend with not long to live. What are a few lies with all that on his plate?

A lot, it turns out. Chrystal has lied about…well, just about everything. McGill is not the sort of guy to just drop it and move on — you know he is going to get to the bottom of the mystery. There are people depending on him and he doesn’t like being lied to.

I absolutely love this series. Leonid McGill is a great character: he’s got an interesting past, a plan for the future, and morals that are flexible enough to keep his past nipping at his heels. He’s a good man, at heart (that’s practically a requirement), he’s strong and brave and loyal to his friends, willing to go to great lengths to do what’s best for people. His family is kind of a disaster. He knows his wife is cheating on him, he knows that their daughter isn’t really his, he’s afraid that his oldest son’s affair with a crazy Russian girl is going to end badly. He dearly loves his youngest son, Twill, who is fearless and brilliant, but has not yet developed his father’s moral compass. (In an earlier book, McGill put a stop to Twill’s plan to murder a friend’s father because the father was molesting her.) He wants to find a way to save Twill from himself without squashing his spirit.

Amidst the family drama, there is plenty of action and mystery. Hidden identities, stolen children, threats and arrests and gunfire are all on the schedule; there might even be time for some old-fashioned lust. Still, when McGill has the chance to help a random girl he meets in the train station, he jumps right in. How can you resist a tough guy with a heart of gold?

This is the third book in the Leonid McGill series. I’ve read The Long Fall, but somehow, the publisher forgot to send my copy of Known to Evil; I need to do something about that. Walter Mosley is the author of more than 30 novels, including the acclaimed Easy Rawlins mystery series, which began with the classic Devil in a Blue Dress. My copy of When the Thrill Is Gonewas an Advanced Reader Copy provided free of charge. ( )
  LisaLynne | Jun 11, 2011 |

Walter Mosleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Willis, MirronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A beautiful young woman walks into PI Leonid McGill's office with a stack of cash. She's an artist, she tells Leonid, who's escaped poverty via marriage to a rich collector. A rich collector with two ex-wives whose deaths are shrouded in mystery. She says she fears for her life, and needs Leonid's help. Will sorting out the woman's crooked tale bring Leonid straight to death's door?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Walter Mosley's book When the Thrill Is Gone was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,067,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible