Fever Dream by Douglas Preston

Fever Dream

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child, Preston & Child (Author)

Series: Pendergast (10)

English (69)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  All languages (74)
It pains me to say this but I might be dine with the series. This book was in trouble from the start. I didn't even buy the mystery. I have struggled through the last few books. I will probably give it one more but it had better be good. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
I am terribly conflicted about Preston & Child, having read only Cemetery Dance and Fever Dream thus far. That "thus far" is part of my conundrum. I know without question that I will go back and read Relic, and I already have a copy of Cold Vengeance....but if I stopped to think about it too much I might not read more of this series (especially if I read too many more reviews that point out what I've already observed - - for example, that the writers go overboard with their descriptive passages of locations and the "pallid" Pendergast, and that the plot of this book was insanely outrageous even for a fictional thriller.)

It's just that there is something about this character and these books that is compelling enough to make me want more. So what if it is not Great Literature...and so what if I knew ***that person*** was involved in the murder from the moment s/he was introduced in this book; and so what if it makes NO SENSE whatsoever that a NYPD officer would so effortlessly accomplish the tasks at hands in back road southern towns and the swampiest of swamps in the bayou region....I still stayed up all night just to ride along as Pendergast found all the pieces of the puzzle and put them together. And I'm about to do it again.... ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
Great book! Fever Dream is the tenth Pendergast novel and the first of the Helen trilogy, Helen being his former wife, who perished some twelve years prior to the events in this story.

Until now, Helen's story was always a mystery. Fever Dreams begins by telling us the events of her death in an extended flashback, in all its intimacy. The event is set in Africa and is highly reminiscent of a Wilbur Smith adventure, and I love all of Wilbur Smith's brilliant books, and African safari and advenure, so that was a lot of fun to read about.

What was less fun was Helen's tragic end. We see so little of her and yet she appears to be the perfect character to balance Pendergast. I now no longer have any hope of Pendergast finding love in the series, since he had met his perfect match and lost her. Her death is gruesome and sad. Yet the way it was done was very dramatic. Lions and ghost stories, well done, Preston & Child.

The story unfolds as Pendergast accidentally discovers that his wife's death was no simple accident. In fact, it was an elaborate murder, part of a very elaborate cover-up by a cabal and mystery. Helen herself kept a huge secret from her husband, perhaps more than one. The whole thing shakes Pendergast to the core as he is forced to re-evaluate his memory of this beloved woman and the facts of their relationship.

I liked how Pendergast started with one partner, D'Agosta, then sees him switch out his loyal old friend for that friend's girlfriend, Laura, who very much doesn't like Pendergast. It was a neat twist and we had the pleasure of seeing Pendergast grudingly start to win Laura over. And the way the switch happened gave D'Agosta and Laura some nice depth and character growth.

I really liked the African setting. It's a personal favourite. But I think it's also important for a book to have multiple settings to chance things up. The book moves from the African veld to Southern cities to the deepest swamps. Nice work.

I think that the book combines a goo dmix of mystery and thriller, making it more interesting than so many slick but boring thrillers out there. It's as if the story is more ornate or detailed than a typical Tom Clancy or Clive Cussler's Oregon Files. In fact, it's crammed with so much information that the story has added depth and more impact than action alone could create. The scenes and characters stick with you, even after the book is closed.

What was Missing

The book starts out with a vivid yet painful flashback of Pendergast's beautiful marriage with Helen, and that was excellent. But the rest of the book is nothing but revenge and mystery. We see a bit of the struggle Pendergast faces as he confronts the past, but the story would have earned 5 stars and much mroe emotional depth if we had experienced further flashbacks where the two characters share their friendship and love.

It would have raised the tension in the thriller part, made the mystery more meaningful and given the story more emotional weight because we would have been more emotionally invested in their relationship and the tragedy of it. And, I think it's important that the main character have an emotional connection that's explored beyond the action of the novel, or else why are we even reading about this story? The emotional connections are vital.

Still, I'm very excited to read the next Pendergast novel. Can't wait to read them all! :) ( )
  TimothyBaril | Jul 24, 2017 |
Fever Dream is part of the Special Agent Pendergast series, although it takes a step back from the rest of the series. In Fever dream Pendergast discovers that his wife's death might not have been an accident, as he has believed for years. The trail is cold, but he sets off anyway. This is obviously the first in a sub-series, because not all loose ends are tied up by the end. I enjoy the Pendergast books and I look forward to continuing on and finding out what really happened.
  GretchenLynn | Feb 7, 2017 |
Just when you think that a series has nowhere to go, they come out with a fresh take that reinvigorates the franchise. Adding new depth to old characters and introducing new ones who can hold their own in a fast-paced adventure, Preston and Child reaffirmed why they are on my 'must read' list both individually and in tandem. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Preston & ChildAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Velzen, MarjoleinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jaime Levine
The setting sun blazed through the African bush like a forest fire, hot yellow in the sweltering evening that gathered over the bush camp.

Yesterday, Special Agent Pendergast still mourned the loss of his beloved wife, Helen, who died in a tragic accident in Africa twelve years ago.

Today, he discovers she was murdered.

Tomorrow, he will learn her most guarded secrets, leaving him to wonder: Who was the woman I married? Why was she murdered? And, above all . . . Who murdered her?

FEVER DREAM

Revenge is not sweet: It is essential.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:27 -0400)

With Lieutenant Vincent D'Agosta's assistance, Pendergast embarks on a quest to uncover the mystery of his wife's murder. As he probes more deeply into the riddle--the answer to which is revealed in a night of shocking violence, deep in the Louisiana bayou--he finds himself faced with an even greater question: who was the woman he married?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,161,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible