Here Comes Everybody: An Introduction to…

Here Comes Everybody: An Introduction to James Joyce for the Ordinary… (1965)

by Anthony Burgess

Other authors: James Joyce (Subject)

My book does not pretend to scholarship, only to a desire to help the average reader who wants to know Joyce's work but has been scared off by the professors. The appearance of difficulty is part of Joyce's big joke; the profundities are always expressed in good round Dublin terms; Joyce's heroes are humble men.… (more)

Still working on this book actually. As I plow through Joyce, I read more of this, a wonderful guide. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I'm very pleased with this book. Not only is it on point and information it also has enough writerly style in it that I can't help but keep turning the page even if I didn't find the section on Finnegans Wake to be helpful. I think Burgess should've focused on Dubliners and A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man more. But these quibbles aside the Ulysses section of the book was absolutely inspired. I loved his thoughts on what were going to be the ramifications of Bloomsday and how he made it even bigger than what had been apparent from the book and other books I've read about the book. It was a treat having re-confirmed in my mind that Bloom ate liver and bacon on that day while his companion ate steak and kidney pie. I love Joyce books and I love books on Joyce almost as much. ( )
  Salmondaze | Jan 17, 2016 |
An enthusiastic guide to "Ulysses", and to "Finnegan's Wake". I still haven't tried more than a few pages of "Finnegan's Wake", but I had no trouble with "Ulysses". Burgess, no mean novelist himself, was a great fan, and the book was a pleasant introduction to the word-puzzler's novels. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jul 13, 2014 |
It might be that Burgess is the best equipped to deal with Joyce, Robert Anton Wilson is no slouch on the subject. ( )
1 vote Porius | Oct 27, 2008 |

Burgess, Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Joyce, JamesSubjectsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is a study of

Here Comes Everybody (1965) was reprinted in the U.S. as Re Joyce (1966). Please do not separate them.

Legacy Library: Anthony Burgess

Anthony Burgess has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Anthony Burgess's legacy profile.

See Anthony Burgess's author page.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,788,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible