Madlenka by Peter Sis

Madlenka

by Peter Sis

Madlenka has a loose tooth she has to tell everyone.As she tells them , she gets a treat.after telling everyone she has a loose tooth, she has lost her tooth.
ages 3-5
Source Pierce College Library
  fisherfi | Feb 28, 2018 |
A girl named Madlenka has her first loose tooth. She goes around her diverse NYC neighborhood to tell everyone. This book would be great for showing diversity in cultures and teaching words in other languages.

Teaching Connections: social skills - differences, visualizing, making connections, making inferences, summarizing, making predictions, asking questions ( )
  EmmaNicolazzo | Oct 13, 2016 |
GR:
GL: 1.3
DRA:
Lexile: AD110L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 3, 2016 |
Lesson: What Makes Our Community Diverse?
  ccsdss | Feb 29, 2016 |
I loved this amazingly adorable, heartwarming book! The perspective drawings of little Madlenka looking up at the big buildings, the remembrance of what it was like to have a wiggling tooth, the creative cut-out openings in pages that draw the reader's eye to a new angle of Madlenka, and the incorporation of multiple ethnicities within Madlenka's New York City block yield a story full of the excitement of newness and joy of life.

Curricular connections: The pages of the book that tell of the countries, foods, and symbols of her neighbors who are from France, India, Italy, Latin America, Africa, and Asia have multiple images that young children could study. ( )
  SueStolp | Feb 9, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374399697, Hardcover)

"In the universe, on a planet, on a continent, in a country, in a city, on a block, in a house, in a window, in the rain, a little girl named Madlenka finds out her tooth wiggles." To further illustrate where exactly this girl fits into the universe, Peter Sís's endpapers depict a tiny blue planet Earth with a red dot, then a bigger Earth and a bigger red dot, then an aerial view of the south part of Manhattan Island, then city blocks, then lo! a small Madlenka in an apartment window. And, since she has a loose tooth that wiggles, she simply must tell everyone.

As she traipses around New York, she sees the whole world in the way a child might peer into a sugar egg at a colorful three-dimensional diorama within. At Mr. Gaston's patisserie, he tells her about Paris as he bakes croissants and madeleines. Readers peer through a die-cut square in his bakery window to glimpse the Eiffel Tower. Turn the page, and an exciting blue landmark map of Paris unfolds. (Is that a tiny petit prince we see as well?) At Mr. Singh's newspaper stand, our window on the world takes us to winged elephants and onion domes and the many-armed gods of India. Mr. Ciao from Italy ("Buon giorno, Maddalena") makes visions of the Leaning Tower of Pisa and cats on gondolas and the Coliseum dance through our heads. Throughout Sís's enchanting, moody illustrations dances blonde-haired, lavender-clad, yellow-booted Madlenka with her yellow umbrella--reminding us of what is really important. "Madlenka! Where have you been?" "Well... I went around the world. And I lost my tooth!"

Fans of Sís's gorgeous work in Caldecott Honor Books Tibet: Through the Red Box and Starry Messenger: Galileo Galilei will find an equally stunning, but more accessible book in Madlenka. Children will discover enough fascinating details to stand up to hours of fierce page perusal, and adults will, as ever, marvel at Sís's breathtaking artistry. (Ages 4 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Madlenka, whose New York City neighbors include the French baker, the Indian news vendor, the Italian ice-cream man, the South American grocer, and the Chinese shopkeeper, goes around the block to show her friends her loose tooth and finds that it is like taking a trip around the world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,988,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible