An Age of Extremes by Joy Hakim

An Age of Extremes

by Joy Hakim

A very well-written and interesting history book. It's rare that I find what is essentially a textbook that is so much fun and still informative. It's not every book that warns you when a chapter will be boring!

Usually after I finish history books, I feel like I've wasted a ton of time. This time, on the other hand, I feel like I've actually learned something! ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Oct 23, 2012 |
Ms. Hakim takes on 1880 through 1917 in this eighth volume of A History of US. It was the time of robber barons and labor unions, populists, inventors and immigrants. Ms. Hakim presents it with her usual mix of social and political history, giving special attention to those whose ideas weren't quite so popular at the time.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Jun 24, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0195153340, Paperback)

For the captains of industry--men like Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, J. P. Morgan, and Henry Ford--the Gilded Age is a time of big money. Technology boomed with the invention of trains, telephones, electric lights, harvesters, vacuum cleaners, and more. But for millions of immigrant workers, it is a time of big struggles, with adults and children alike working 12 to 14 hours a day under extreme, dangerous conditions. The disparity between the rich and the poor was dismaying, which prompted some people to action. In An Age of Extremes, you'll meet Mother Jones, Ida Tarbell, Big Bill Haywood, Sam Gompers, and other movers and shakers, and get swept up in the enthusiasm of Teddy Roosevelt. You'll also watch the United States take its greatest role on the world stage since the Revolution, as it enters the bloody battlefields of Europe in World War I.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:01 -0400)

Covers the period of American history from the 1880s to World War I.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible