Keeping a Nature Journal: Discover a Whole New Way of Seeing the World… (1998)

by Clare Walker Leslie, Charles E. Roth (Joint Author)

From the day it was released in 2000, Keeping a Nature Journal has struck a profound chord among professional, casual, and occasional naturalists of all ages. In response to this groundswell of enthusiasm, we have revised Keeping A Nature Journal, updated the interior design, and created a new cover. Undoubtedly the most exciting new element in this second edition is a portfolio of 32 illustrated pages from Clare Walker Leslie's most recent journals, reproduced in full color. What makes Keeping A Nature Journalso popular? It is inspiring and easy to use. Clare and co-author Charles Chuck E. Roth offer simple techniques to give first-time journal-keepers the confidence to go outside, observe the natural world, and sketch and write about what they see. At the same time, they motivate long-time journal-keepers to hone their powers of observation as they immerse themselves in the mysteries of the natural world. Clare and Chuck stress that the journal is a personal record of daily experience and the world around us. Nature's beauty can be observed everywhere, whether in the city, suburbs, or country.… (more)

Discover a whole new wya of seeing the world around you
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I am starting a nature journal as part of my own learning process/growth - and this volume will continue to be a go-to guide for different approaches and inspiration.

Z may or may not take a shine to keeping some type of science-based journal as he gets older . . . this is a book that will provide some food for thought for him as well. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
I've been nature journaling both personally and in my biology/env.science classes for almost five years and use this book constantly both as a guide and as an inspiration. Ms. Leslie's sketches and descriptions are a tribute to scientific journaling. I cannot recommend this book highly enough for anyone interested in recording their outdoor thoughts, ideas, and adventures. ( )
  clif_hiker | Dec 12, 2009 |
Excellent book. My boys are reading this and it has encouraged them greatly in their nature journaling endeavors. ( )
  familyw | Jun 13, 2009 |

Clare Walker Leslieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Roth, Charles E.Joint Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my daughter, Anna, because she has been with me throughout the whole process. It was Anna and her friends who gave me the courage and the support to find a way through to publication - suggesting exercises, offering their own drawings, being women naturalists of the future. ---Clare Walker Leslie
I would like to dedicate this book to my mentor - naturalist-educator Charles Mohr, who guided my early ventures into natural history - and to my five grandchildren, who may each find in these pages a way to develop their own sense of place in a changing world. ---Charles E. Roth
Many of us are looking for ways to connect better with nature - to learn its patterns, to help protect its inhabitants, to gain an understanding of what makes our own lives tick.
This book was originally published under the title Nature Journaling: Learning to Observe and Connect with the World Around You.

Mary Neyhart checked out 4/5/12

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,676,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible