This Hallowed Ground: The Story of the Union…

This Hallowed Ground: The Story of the Union Side of the Civil War (1956)

by Bruce Catton

695. This Hallowed Ground: The Story of the Union Side of the Civil War, by Bruce Catton (read 7 May 1962) This is the first book I read by Bruce Catton. I liked it well. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 19, 2013 |
A history of the Civil War campaigns from the Union Army perspective, I cannot say whether this is a good or bad book on the subject. I found once I had begun it that my interest in the subject was null. It was written for youth, the illustrations were either old drawings or photos of army soldiers. Perhaps my children would have been able to get through this if they were assigned it in school, but I was not, so I quit reading it. ( )
  MrsLee | Mar 31, 2013 |
Non-Fiction
  LoganMuseum | Apr 5, 2012 |
A vivid, anecdotal narrative history of the Civil War. This was the first hard-cover book that I bought, at the Yale Co-Op in about 1964 ( )
  neurodrew | Jul 22, 2009 |
Vividly written but a little dated in its attitudes, especially its
hostility to the Radical Republicans ( )
  antiquary | Jul 29, 2008 |
To Nellie Catton
The senator was tall and handsome, with wavy hair to frame a proud ravaged face, and if hearty feeding had given him the beginning of a notable paunch, he was erect enough to carry it well.

This history deals with the entire scope of the Civil War--from the months of unrest and hysteria that led to Fort Sumter through the Union victory.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,645,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible