Henry and Beezus by Beverly Cleary

Henry and Beezus (1952)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: Henry Huggins (2)

Poor Henry really wants a bike. His parents can't afford to get him one, so he endeavors to earn the money, but something always goes wrong. He is to help a neighbor deliver papers, but his dog collects them and brings them all back, he tries to buy a bike at an auction, but can't get close enough to be heard. With the help of his neighbor Beezus and her little sister, he gets a bike, but -horrors!- it's a girl's bike! Wonderful story about a boy and his neighbors. ( )
  Marse | May 23, 2018 |
As much as I like Cleary's stuff, this one is a bit dated and made me a little uncomfortable reading it. Henry really wants a bike but can't afford a new one, so he buys one at an auction with the help of Beezus, who accidentally bids on a girl's bike for him. Then follows much lamenting of the fact that he has a girl's bike and such. Plus, he complains a lot about having to hang out with girls and what a nuisance they can be. Not helpful, really, when you're trying to raise a kid to look past this sort of nonsense. ( )
  scaifea | May 25, 2017 |
Henry Huggins is determined to earn enough money to buy himself a bicycle. Along with the other advantages of his having a set of wheels, maybe it'll stop that older kid, Scooter, from needlessly showing his bike off so much. Although a neighbor of Henry's, Beezus Quimby, happens to be a girl, she just may be able to help Henry get a bike of his own in Henry and Beezus by author Beverly Cleary.

I vaguely remember reading this book sometime during my childhood, back when I read other books about Henry and his dog, Ribsy. But I picked it up again since I've been revisiting the Ramona Quimby books, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nothing like reading a tale from the 1950s, where kids say things like "Gee whillikers!" and really mean it. And if I once found this book to be funny, it was even funnier to me this time around. No, not just because somebody says "Gee whillikers!" but because the humor in the story is truly on point. Henry has quite the adventures in his efforts to raise money, and Beezus and Ramona add much to the fun of it all (even though it may not all be "fun" for them, exactly.)

There are a good bunch of reasons why Beverly Cleary was my favorite author as a child. A great story like this one is a good reason. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | May 1, 2017 |
Probably not as good as the first, but still a fun read. It starts slow and gets better as it goes. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |

Cleary, Beverlyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dockray, TracyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lambert, ThelmaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henry Huggins stood by the front window of his square white house on Klickitat Street and wondered why Sunday afternoon seemed so much longer than any other part of the week.
Henry couldn't believe it. Forty-nine boxes of bubble gum, and three hundred balls in each box! It was enough to last the rest of his life. He would never have to park his gum again. He was rich!

All Henry Huggins wants is his very own bicycle, a shiny red one to ride up and down Klickitat Street. But no matter how Henry tries to raise money for the bike of his dreams -- from selling bubble gum to delivering newspapers -- he always ends up with too much trouble and not enough money. But Henry's old friend Beezus has an idea that may turn Henry's worst trouble yet into a real business success!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:32 -0400)

All Henry Huggins can think about is owning a bicycle, and he and his friend Beezus come up with various ideas to make money.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,098,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible