Glow

by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Series: Sky Chasers (1)

Part of the first generation to be conceived in deep space, fifteen-year-old Waverly is expected to marry young and have children to populate a new planet, but a violent betrayal by the dogmatic leader of their sister ship could have devastating consequences.
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (jenreidreads)
    jenreidreads: YA science fiction with romance...great stuff.
    Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder (cleoppa)
    Gone by Michael Grant (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Since Glow has a Lord of the Flies (almost) exclusively kids free for all section in a good chunk of the book then the Gone series would have a similar theme

Earth has increasingly become uninhabitable, acid rains from the sky, fertile lands give way to barren deserts and people starve. For Kieran and Waverly and the other children aboard the space ship Empyrean they have no recollections of the harshness that Earth has become, but nor have they ever experienced sunshine, wind or the sea. Being born in space headed for a New Earth these children are humanities hope for a future.

Life aboard the Empyrean was simple and apart from living in a metal ship flying through space Waverly was just an average girl. That is until Kieran proposes to her. Waverly knows it is her duty to marry and have children of her own, being almost sixteen many would say she is old enough for such responsibility, but Waverly is not so sure. Although Kieran is kind and in truth she does love him, she can't help being drawn to another.

However when the Empyrean's companion ship the New Horizon approaches, Waverly discovers there are more important things in life besides love, there is survival. Separated from everyone she loves, surrounded by lies, deception and harsh truths, Waverly endures abuse, violence and kindness at the hands of these strangers that have captured her. Kieran, on the other hand will undergo torture, responsibilities and transformation with those who have been left behind.

Glow is just the beginning of this exceptional space adventure that will hold you captive. A brilliantly complex story that allows for heroes to make mistakes and the villains to act with the best intentions. This is a tale of two children growing up too soon, experiencing their world irrevocably changed and learning home will never be the same again. More then a story of humanities quest for a future, it is a dark and unvarnished look at how far people will go to survive. Simply a great read. ( )
  LarissaBookGirl | Aug 2, 2021 |
This is pretty much my first sci-fi book.

The characters are all really complex. One minute I really like them and the next Im not too sure.
Parts where Im like "NO NO NO!"

so my emotions are all over the place, but I couldn't put it down, so thats good.

Now im just left feeling confused at the end and wanting more.

Joy_Bush | Jul 22, 2021 |
Teen fiction. Promising new sci-fi drama from Amy Kathleen Ryan--twists and turns, interesting character development and heart-stopping action throughout, somewhat like a really engrossing TV show. A little bit like A Handmaid's Tale (insert spaceship adventure here) Lord of the Flies, but way more than all of these things combined. Characters are complex and capable of both good and bad--certain readers may not like the way some of the characters have used religion in corrupt/evil ways. Looking forward to the 2nd installment in the Sky Chasers series, summer 2012. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Wow, forgot I had this on here -- never did finish it. It was pretty uninteresting. ( )
  JenniferElizabeth2 | Aug 25, 2020 |
In writing Glow, Amy Kathleen Ryan has achieved something that few writers manage: she has put forward a novel that offers readers both enthralling action and an intelligent commentary on human nature and behaviour. Just as it is extremely difficult to put Glow down, it is also difficult to come away from reading this novel without thinking deeply about the events within its pages and the beliefs, motivations and manipulations that inspire them. Readers looking for something fluffy and mindless should look elsewhere; here they will find the darker side of humanity, in all its many guises.

One of the most commendable aspects of Glow is Ryan's respect for her audience. She does not shy away from topics such as sexual assault, parental violence and loss, but rather paints a futuristic world that reflects the failings of our own, simultaneously adding to the authenticity of her universe and characters and acknowledging the ability of young readers to cope with darker literary content. Indeed, it is this frankness that helps give Glow the "crossover appeal" that is so greatly coveted in the YA publishing world. I would have no hesitation recommending it to adult readers; while the novel's protagonists may be teenagers, its themes and ideas are ageless.

Glow focusses on two main characters, Waverly and Kieran, with the novel switching between their (third person limited) perspectives. Waverly is a fantastic character. She is strong in all the right ways, without ever feeling too capable to the point of being unrealistic. When she is rash, her behaviour is motivated by her feelings for the people around her, and she does not cope easily with the darker side of fighting back. Her interactions with other female characters are cooperative, and she has worth in her own right, not just in relation to the novel's male characters. There should be more YA protagonists like Ryan's Waverly.

In contrast, I found Kieran more difficult to like and certainly more difficult to identify with. It is a testimony to Ryan's ability that his sections of the text could be different enough from Waverly's sections that they were able to leave me with a feeling of uneasiness, as opposed to my easy appreciation of Waverly. Kieran's self-assuredness and conviction felt somehow dangerous. And yet Seth, whose actions should have made me despise him, seemed more likeable - and perhaps even safer. He is violent and dishonest, but somehow Ryan manages to convey that there is more to him than that. I loved the fact that I didn't know how to feel where Glow's main male characters were concerned.

The most obvious example of Ryan's talent for tearing reader assumptions into pieces can be seen through her exploration of the attitudes and actions of the religious and secular leaders aboard the two ships. There is no easy, black-and-white delineation of good and bad here. Glow is a study in greys. That is what makes it such a great book. My only real criticism is that this uncertainty extends to the novel's conclusion. As the first book in a series, it lacks a solid ending, encouraging the reader to return for more – but perhaps leaving them a little unsatisfied in the interim.

I hope that Glow will receive the recognition and popularity it deserves. In a market that deals so often in reworks of the latest fad, it stands apart as a book with true depth. I can't wait to read the sequel. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us. So that if we shall deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and so cause him to withdraw his present help from us, we shall be made a story and a by-word through the world.

—John Winthrop, founding member of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, in his work A Model of Christian Charity, 1630
Through all the Empyréan. Down they fell, Driven headlong from the pitch of Heaven...

—John Milton, Paradise Lost
For Alice
The other ship hung in the sky like a pendant, silver in the ether light cast by the nebula.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,451,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible