for colored girls who have considered suicide when the rainbow is enuf (1975)

by Ntozake Shange

From its inception in California in 1974 to its highly acclaimed critical success at Joseph Papp's Public Theater and on Broadway, the Obie Award-winning for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf has excited, inspired, and transformed audiences all over the country. Passionate and fearless, Shange's words reveal what it is to be of color and female in the twentieth century. First published in 1975 when it was praised by The New Yorker for "encompassing...every feeling and experience a woman has ever had," for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf will be read and performed for generations to come. Here is the complete text, with stage directions, of a groundbreaking dramatic prose poem written in vivid and powerful language that resonates with unusual beauty in its fierce message to the world.… (more)

4 stars on my first read but it's the kind of thing that I think will become 5 stars if i reread it ( )
  ninagl | Jan 7, 2023 |
First , I listened to
NB "A choreopoem is a form of dramatic expression that combines poetry, dance, music, and song." ( )
  DrEmanreads | Sep 1, 2022 |
“my spirit is too ancient to understand the separation of soul & gender”
― Ntozake Shange, For colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf

I never forgot this. I first saw the play way back in my childhood years and it's raw power absolutely stunned me. We also had the album. It remains, in my mind, one of the best plays I ever saw.

Do consider reading this book especially if you have not seen the play. ( )
  Thebeautifulsea | Aug 5, 2022 |
I finally got around to reading this. There are some really powerful poems in this, the imagery is amazing, however the intentional grammar mistakes infuriated me. Still a good read though. ( )
  Koralis | Jul 12, 2022 |
A choreopoem with seven different African-American/Black women characters voicing many aspects of their experiences embracing love, death, rape, domestic violence and more.
  PendleHillLibrary | May 30, 2022 |

Shange, Ntozakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paul Davis StudioCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
St. Mary, J. L.Photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Awards

Notable Lists

for the spirits of my grandma viola benezena murray owens and my great aunt effie owens josey
dark phrases of womanhood
of never havin been a girl
half-notes scattered
without rhythm
This is the book. Do not combine with the film directed by Tyler Perry or the theatre video directed by Oz Scott.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,607,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible