For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow is Enuf (1975)

by Ntozake Shange

A revolutionary, award-winning play by a lauded playwright and poet about the experiences of women of color. From its inception in California in 1974 to its highly acclaimed critical success at Joseph Papp's Public Theater and on Broadway, the Obie Award-winning for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf has excited, inspired, and transformed audiences all over the country. Passionate and fearless, Shange's words reveal what it is to be of color and female in the twentieth century. First published in 1975 when it was praised by The New Yorker for "encompassing...every feeling and experience a woman has ever had," for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf will be read and performed for generations to come. Here is the complete text, with stage directions, of a groundbreaking dramatic prose poem written in vivid and powerful language that resonates with unusual beauty in its fierce message to the world.… (more)

that was different - it was confusing in parts - but in other parts it was super powerful and extremely strong ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |
I have to say that I loved this play. It was a bit weird to read the stage directions along with the poetry that was being said by these characters, but it was quite easy to read and follow.

For colored girls is considered a choreopoem (i.e. there are monologues that also include dance and music) with seven women in different colors speaking to the audience.

The seven women are the lady in red, lady in orange, lady in yellow, lady in green, lady in blue, lady in brown, and lady in purple.

Some of the poems really spoke to me a lot and the play tackles so many different subjects such as rape, abortion, domestic violence.

Some of the language was a bit harsh too. There were a lot of n words and some ethnic slurs in there too. I wouldn't recommend to those who may be easily offended and who may not want to read about some of the subjects of this play.

lady in brown
& this is for colored girls who have considered
suicide/but are movin to the ends of their own
rainbows
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
This one missed the mark for me. While there were some interesting passages in it, and the idea was inherently decent, I didn't feel connected with the characters. This, perchance, may be because the play was set in its time and I'm so disconnected from what it speaks of. It was not a bad play, and I think it has it's merits, but I also agree with the fact that it is not for all audiences-- myself included.

2 stars. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Jul 12, 2019 |
Shange's poems are powerful stories that share the experiences of black women in America. They deal with love, heartbreak, growing up, death, friendship, and more. Her writing is beautiful and rhythmic, often mimicking the varied speech patterns of people from different areas of the U.S. She vividly captures the personality of each of the women represented in the Choreopoem, and shows how so many of the stories shared represent shared experiences. The reader walks away thinking about how maybe we are not all so different after all - that maybe women from all over share many of the same dilemmas, and we should learn to be kinder to ourselves and each other.
  Breanne.Lawson | Jul 14, 2018 |
Shange's "choreopoem" depicts the fraught lives of several different black women in the 1960s and 70s. It feels a little dated now, but that doesn't mean it's not powerful still. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |

Shange, Ntozakeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paul Davis StudioCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
St. Mary, J. L.Photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for the spirits of my grandma viola benezena murray owens and my great aunt effie owens josey
dark phrases of womanhood
of never havin been a girl
half-notes scattered
without rhythm
This is the book. Do not combine with the film directed by Tyler Perry or the theatre video directed by Oz Scott.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,898,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible