Dead Poets Society [1989 film]

by Peter Weir (Director)

Other authors: Josh Charles (Actor), Gale Hansen (Actor), Ethan Hawke (Actor), Dylan Kussman (Actor), Robert Sean Leonard (Actor)5 more, Norman Lloyd (Actor), Allelon Ruggiero (Actor), Tom Schulman (Screenwriter), James Waterston (Actor), Robin Williams (Actor)

Robin Williams portrays English professor John Keating, who, in an age of crew cuts, sport coats and cheerless conformity, inspires his students to live life to the fullest, exclaiming "Carpe Diem, lads! Seize the day. Make your lives extraordinary!" The charismatic teacher's emotionally charged challenge is met by his students with irrepressible enthusiasm--changing their lives forever.… (more)

English (3)  Italian (1)  All languages (4)
Prep school boys are inspired by their new English teacher.

I've seen this before, many years ago, so I knew it was going to be Cliche Theater, joyless (despite a theme which is contrary to joylessness), and a collection of many of my bad movie pet peeves. What I hadn't remembered is just how boring it is on top of all that.

Enjoyment: D

estimated GPA (I only watched the first hour): 1.9/4 ( )
  comfypants | Nov 18, 2015 |
This is how I'll always remember Robin Williams, in a dramatic role that channels his lunacy into a teaching mode, without making his characterization seem subdued or watered down. Equal parts heartbreaking and uplifting, with an unbeatable ending. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Feb 24, 2015 |

Schulman, TomScreenwritersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Waterston, JamesActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, RobinActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

Keating: We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.
Keating: When you read, don't just consider what the author thinks, consider what you think.
Keating: Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,544,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible