Girls In White Dresses by Jennifer Close

Girls In White Dresses

by Jennifer Close

For a woman in her mid twenties, this was such a fresh take and unique POV from different perspectives of just what goes through my mind. I love the way each girl's story was realistic enough for me to be like 'okay, this isn't so bad...' or be like 'It wouldn't be the end of the world for me if this happened right now.' The aftermath of these girl's experiences is just relatable, and it was a breath of fresh air for me to read. ( )
  thursbest | Jan 11, 2019 |
This was a quickly-readable, entertaining book about a wide circle of girlfriends and their dating escapades. I liked it and laughed out loud quite a bit. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
I read this book for book club. I was initially very excited to begin this book, as a perpetual bridesmaid myself I thought I'd be able to relate to these characters. And I did....kind of. Dealing with a bridezilla and going to way too many bridal showers is of course relatable, but that was about it. I found the characters one-dimensional and shallow. I did not like the story, if there even was one. It was not engaging and there was no climax or really any plotline other than 3 women living in New York and dating. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and when it simply ended with them taking shots I was confused. I did not really like this book, I found it boring and honestly? A little sad. Three women who end up settling in boring lives because they couldn't stand to be alone and drinking too much. It was like an incredibly boring version of sex in the city. Not a fan of that show either.
  SaraEllen | Nov 21, 2017 |
Isabella, Mary, and Lauren have been best friends for most of their lives. They had initially met in college and later discovered that they had quite a bit more in common with each other than they had expected. As their friendship has gone on through the years, they have watched as everyone else around them has gotten married, started families, and found success in their chosen careers. However, the three college friends have consistently noticed that they are 'always the bridesmaid, never the bride' as they struggle through young adulthood together.

As the women gather together to celebrate the good fortune of bride after bride, they find themselves evaluating their own lives and hoping for more in the future. As regularly as clockwork, they get together to ooh and ahh over the most inane bridal gifts; spend time reminiscing about events they would much rather forget; and drink champagne toasts by the case. They collect party favors by the dozens; eat endless trays of hors d'oeuvre; and cheerfully wear the most garish pastel dresses ever designed.

Meanwhile, these women are grappling with some major issues within their own lives that seem to transcend all the congratulatory celebrations that they attend each week. Isabella is stuck working in a dead-end job, Mary is dating a really nice guy whose mother is a stubborn perfectionist, and Lauren is waitressing at a mid-town bar and wondering why she finds the sleazy bartender so attractive. Amid various booze-filled family holidays, on-the-job flirtations, hungover bridal showers, and disastrous ski vacations, the women share the wild frustrations and soaring joys of modern life with each other.

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't quite sure how enjoyable this book would actually be for me. Mareena's friend had initially recommended Jennifer Close as an author to me - after having read and thoroughly enjoyed this particular book for herself. Since our tastes in reading are usually so different, I filed Jennifer Close in my 'Eh...Maybe' category. Mareena put this book on our wishlist about three years ago, and it literally just became available to request approximately a month ago.

Since this book arrived at a moment when I was wondering what to read next, I started it immediately. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed reading this book. The story was well-written and remarkably easy reading for me. I would definitely give this book an A+! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Aug 23, 2017 |
Vignettes centering on a group of friends, the telling of which tie into a novel. Amusing, insightful, and occasionally annoying, (but only because it's so far removed from my world and experience.) I needed a diversionary read from a somewhat pedantic nonfiction book I am reading for review. The title is a definite ear worm, though. ( )
  bookczuk | Aug 22, 2017 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307596850, Hardcover)

J. Courtney Sullivan Reviews Girls in White Dresses

J. Courtney Sullivan is the author of two New York Times bestselling novels, Maine and Commencement. Her writing has appeared in The New York Times Book Review, The Wall Street Journal, The Chicago Tribune, and New York magazine, among others. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.

Like a lot of women in America, I was awake at 4 a.m. on April 29th. But unlike the rest, I wasn’t waiting to see Kate Middleton walk down the aisle. I was reading Girls in White Dresses.

This hilarious, pitch-perfect debut more or less took over my life for three glorious days. I cancelled dinners, ignored deadlines and went without sleep, all because I could not stop reading it.

The author introduces an unforgettable cast of characters who navigate post-college life in the city. I laughed a lot while reading this novel, nodded knowingly, and occasionally wondered if Jennifer Close had been secretly reading my emails for the past ten years.

Any woman who has been a twenty-something can relate: There are first jobs (“Isabella knew [her boss] thought the Greek salad was super healthy, and for that she pitied him.”) First homes (“They hung mirrors on the walls to make the apartment seem bigger.”) First weddings (“You never want to be the first one of your friends to get married. If you are, just resign yourself to the fact that your wedding will be a sh-t show.”)

With wit and wisdom, Close captures every little detail of New York life in one’s twenties; that decade that so often begins with late nights out and ill-advised infatuations, yet somehow ends with bridal showers and babies and mothers-in-law named Button. Close leads her characters from the days of living together in cramped apartments straight through to a time when life has gotten hectic, obligations have increased, and a stolen weekend away at a beach house is the only bonding time they get.

Through it all--through drunken nights and hungover mornings, evil bosses, cancelled engagements, and that time Mary lost her mind and named her newborn baby Gertrude for three days--their friendships remain a constant.

Girls in White Dresses is reminiscent of Melissa Bank’s The Girls’ Guide to Hunting and Fishing, but at the same time it’s a total original, perfectly reflecting the events of recent years: One character loses her boyfriend to a charismatic political candidate, campaigning on hope and change. Another gets married the same weekend that the King of Pop dies, and her wedding turns into a Michael Jackson tribute concert.

Only once in a very blue moon does a book captivate me as much as this one did. Read it immediately and prepare to be up all night.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:58 -0400)

Attending an endless series of bridal showers for their friend Kristi, three bridesmaids struggle with private challenges, including Isabella's unhappiness at a job where she is nevertheless very successful, Mary's relationship with a man who prioritizes his mother, and Lauren's attraction to a man she despises.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,138,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible