Out of Oz

by Gregory Maguire

Series: The Wicked Years (4)

Glinda, former Throne Minister, held under house arrest by General Cherrystone, obtains the infamous Grimmerie, supposedly a volume of magical lore, coveted by Oz. Meanwhile, Lir's daughter Rain begins her quest to discover her true identity and unravel the layers of political and personal secrets that have caused strife and division in Oz.… (more)
    Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: What happens to children who spend what feels like years in a magical world, and are then unable to reintegrate with our own world when they return?

Kind of a lame end to a series ( )
1 vote aldimartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
Kind of a lame end to a series ( )
1 vote Andy_DiMartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Sep 11, 2020 |
The only thing I have against Out of Oz is that it's not Wicked.

Elphaba kicked ass. She was such an amazing character, the kind of female character we almost never see in fiction, and in fantasy fiction even more rarely. She was an uncompromising, sharp-tongued, idealistic, ugly, morally flawed, brilliant, shy, political, complicated character.

Maguire's other Oz books have been good, even excellent, but how could they live up to Elphaba?

So it is with Out of Oz. Maguire competently and beautifully wraps up the main storylines into a pretty bow; he presents us with complicated, interesting characters facing complicated, difficult situations. It's just not Wicked.

But to pan Out of Oz by this comparison would be unjust. Compare it to the general run of fantasy literature and it comes out looking very well indeed: look, most of them still have knights or soldiers on noble quests to rescue maidens from dragons/monsters/dungeons and rightfully assume the crown of the novel's generic Middle Earth knock-off. Alternatively, it may be a lowly servant, stableboy or schoolboy who learns he is the Chosen One and who, through cunning use of his wits, rescues the maiden from the dragon/dungeon/monster and rightfully assumes the crown of the novel's generic Middle Earth knock-off. Any female characters run the same range: the saucy barmaid, the frizzy-haired cackling witch, the dark-haired evil sorceress, the hapless and possibly obnoxious princess, etc.

Compared to Raymond Feist, David Eddings, Piers Anthony, et al, Out of Oz is a work of genius. There are fully-realized, well-rounded, complicated female characters, good and bad parents, characters whose motivations and intentions you are never quite sure of, a very unusual and original romance (for fantasy--Yann Martel broke that ground in Self, so far as I know), an intriguing and well-paced plot ... just no Elphaba. ( )
  andrea_mcd | Mar 10, 2020 |
After taking my sweet time working through the series, I am sad. The entire story beginning with The Wicked Years on through to Out of Oz was beautiful, confusing, and wondrous. Then came the end of Out of Oz. It left me confused and desiring so much more. There were more questions left unanswered than I had had throughout the entire series. Is Elphaba back? Why did Rain make the trek? Where did Candle go and does she return? Does Glinda ever go free? What is up with Ozma behaving as if the tryst were some one night stand? What happened when Dorothy returned home? I have so many more questions and so much sadness that I will never be able to find the answers. I finished the book 2 nights ago and I am still in that deep funk that single ladies feel when their Prince Charming turns out to be a fraud. Not that Out of Oz or any of the other 3 books were a fraud. I am just disappointed by the ending. I don't expect a perfect happy ending. I just expect to know more than what I was left with. ( )
  Shannon.Allen | Aug 28, 2019 |

Gregory Maguireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, DouglasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Cassie Jones
It would take Dorothy Gale and her relatives three days to reach the mountains by train from Kansas, the conductor told them.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,332,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible