Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer

Flashforward (1999)

by Robert J. Sawyer

Sphere by Michael Crichton (SFdolon)
    SFdolon: Best Michael Crichton book, a sorry about the repercussions of an unexpected scientific discovery.

English (81)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (85)
Opinião: Se pudesses ter um vislumbre do teu futuro, estarias pronto para essa experiência? Quais seriam as repercussões que esse vislumbre teria no teu presente? É o futuro tão imutável como o passado? Estas são algumas das questões com que os personagens deste livro se debatem após o Flashforward. Com o doseamento certo de acção, introspeção, explicações científicas e algum romance, Flashforward foi um livro que me manteve constantemente interessada. O enredo começa com o acidente no CERN e todas as suas consequências imediatas e vai desenvolvendo, de uma forma clara e sem atropelos para os dramas pessoais de cada um dos personagens. Como estes são quase todos cientistas do CERN, permite a introdução natural das atuais teorias da física quântica que se debruçam sobre o funcionamento do universo e das viagens no tempo. Assim, qualquer leitor leigo sobre o tema pode aprender o que é o “Gato de Schrödinger”, o “Cubo de Minkowski”, o “Bosão de Higgs” entre outras teorias. Interessante foi encontrar que o próprio CERN tem uma página dedicada ao livro onde indica a ciência por detrás do livro e alguma informação sobre o trabalho que está a ser desenvolvido no complexo. Aconselho o vídeo que está nessa página.

Leia o resto no meu blog ( )
  tchetcha | Jan 15, 2015 |
Robert Sawyer always finds great stories to write about. His ideas always draw me in and I think I'm in for a fantastic tale. Then I reach the end and I feel like it could have been more.

Flashforward had a great pull - See your own life 20 years into the future for 2 minutes and try to work out how to get there.

It was a brilliant start and a real page turner. I loved reading about everyone's flashforward, I was rivited by all the connotations that flashforward threw up. Even the loss and devestation caused by the flashforward made for interesting reading...The first half is about the here and now. It's great.

When we reach the second half, it's all about edging towards the 20 year future that had been predicted. Getting there takes a lot of technical info that frankly I could have done without. The why's and how's don't really interest me. Also the two leads at this stage become a bit whiney. Lloyd simcoe wants to be with his girl, then he's got doubts, then he's sure again, then he has doubts again....and Theo is so wrapped up in himself that he gets tedious really fast. It's all me, me, me with Theo. THEN we get to the future and it's all wraped up in a paragrah or 3. It was a bit of a let down.

The ending left me with a bit of a 'whaaat??' moment and I imagine for the hard-core sci-fi fans it was the best bit, but I just wasn't feeling it. The conclusion was over in a flash.

.....And it's nothing like the tv show...... just sayin' ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
I really could not put this book down. I'll write more later, but I have to say there are some very prescient parts of it that were downright eerie. I have one quibble with the ending, but overall, it was an amazing story. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
The beginning and the end of this book were boring, yet the middle was fascinating and well written. I loved the plot, but think the author could have done much more with it and developed it much better. ( )
  AMKee | Oct 24, 2014 |
  AMKee | Oct 24, 2014 |
Although uneven, the book was a more rewarding experience for me than the television series. If you enjoyed FlashForward on television, you should probably read the book as it delves far more deeply into many of the issues raised by its core concept.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Kit O'Connell (Feb 1, 2010)

"He who foresees calamities suffers them twice over." --Beilby Porteus

""Free will is an illusion. It is synonymous with incomplete perception." --Walter Kubilius

"Lost time is never found again." --John H. Aughey
For Richard M. Gotlib

Richard and I first met in high school in 1975. Back then, we each envisioned very different futures for ourselves. But one thing seemed absolutely clear: no matter how many years would pass, we'd always be friends. It's now a quarter-century later, and I'm delighted that at least that part turned out exactly as planned.
The control building for CERN's Large Hadron Collider was new: it had been authorized in A.D. 2004 and completed in 2006.

Suddenly everyone in the world loses consciousness for two minutes. Planes fall from the sky, there are millions of car crashes, millions die. And when everyone comes round they have had a glimpse of their life in the future. When it awakes the world must live with the knowledge of what is to come. Some saw themselves in new relationships, some saw exciting new technologies, some saw the stuff of nightmares. Some, young and old alike, saw nothing at all . A desperate search to find out what has happened begins. Does the mosaic of visions offer a clue? What did you see?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812580346, Mass Market Paperback)

What would you do if you got a glimpse of your own personal future and it looked bleak? Try to change things, or accept that the future is unchangeable and make the best of it? In Flashforward, Nobel-hungry physicists conducting an unimaginably high-energy experiment accidentally induce a global consciousness shift. In an instant, everyone on Earth is "flashed forward" 21 years, experiencing several minutes of the future. But while everyone is, literally, out of their minds, their bodies drop unconscious; when the world reawakens, car wrecks, botched surgeries, falls, and other mishaps add up to massive death and destruction.

Slowly, as recovery efforts continue, people realize that during the Flashforward (as it comes to be called) they experienced a vision of the future. The range of visions is astounding--those who would be asleep in the future saw psychedelic dream landscapes, while others saw nothing at all (presumably they'd be dead). But those who saw everyday life 20 years hence have to come to grips with evidence of dreams forsaken (or realized). Soon, the physicists who caused the Flashforward are struggling to help the world decide whether the future is changeable--and whether the experiment is worth repeating. Robert J. Sawyer has captured a truly compelling idea with Flashforward, and he fully explores what such an event might mean to humanity. Fans will find this to be his best work to date, although the ending seems rushed after a detailed buildup. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:25 -0400)

A science experiment goes wrong, giving everyone a glimpse of the future. One man learns a rival will steal his wife, another that he will win a lottery, a third that he will be murdered and has 20 years to find the killer. A look at the repercussions of knowing the future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,146,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible