Those Across the River

by Christopher Buehlman

Moving to rural Georgia, a failed academic plans to write a history of his family's old plantation and the horrors that occurred there but instead discovers a sense of unspoken dread among the townspeople and a long-standing debt of blood.

adult fiction; horror/suspense. I had to stop reading because it was too scary for my tastes, but the author had done a good job working up the suspense... the female supporting character, Dora, reads a bit "B-movie" (really? She's a total knockout AND a total sex maniac?) but aside from that, fantastic writing. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this creepy book, and I liked the ending a lot. Recommended if you like this type of story. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Jan 23, 2021 |
This was one creepy book! It is well written, keeping a steady build up of tension to the end. Great descriptions of living in the south. Very enjoyable read. ( )
  snakes6 | Aug 25, 2020 |
Yankees in the south
they were bound to cause trouble
a waste of good pork. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Those Across the River is my first Buehlman, but will not be my last. In fact, I downloaded another of his books just now.

I recently got a new phone that came with some fancy earbuds, so I decided to head over to Overdrive and check out an audio from my library, so I could try them out. I saw this book available and remembered that my friend Tressa had just recommended me a book by this author a few days previous. I downloaded Those Across the River knowing nothing about it, and I think that was the best way to go in to this story.

Set mostly in GA in the early 1930's, a damaged WWI veteran moves down from Chicago to a house he has recently inherited. In the letter he received about the inheritance he was warned not to actually live in the house, but of course, he does so anyway-along with his fiance Eudora. What follows is a well told, atmospheric and creepy story that went in a totally different direction than what I expected. There's nothing new or extraordinary here, but a well told and atmospheric story is always welcome on my Kindle, (and now on my phone!), and I enjoyed this immensely.

The narrator, Mark Bramhall, was absolutely phenomenal-I loved his Southern accents and voicing-they brought the story alive for me. I will be keeping an eye out for more of his work in the future. As for right now? I'm on to my next Christopher Buehlman book!

I highly recommend the audio of this novel! ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
For Christeen and Joseph Buehlman,
who gave me a home to dream in
He came out to see me in the cage because I belonged to him.

One, two, don't look at me, Look-a-roo.
Three, four, who'sat scratchin' at my door?
Five six, getcha while you pickin' sticks.
Seven, eight, getcha if you stay out late.
Nine, ten, I'll never get back home again...

Haunted by memories of the Great War, failed academic Frank Nichols and his wife, Eudora, have arrived in the sleepy Georgia town of Whitbrow, where Frank hopes to write a history of his family's old estate — the Savoyard Plantation — and the horrors that occurred there. At first, the quaint, rural ways of their new neighbors seem to be everything they wanted. But under the façade of summer socials and small-town charm, there is an unspoken dread that the townsfolk have lived with for generations. A presence that demands sacrifice.

It comes from the shadowy woods across the river, where the ruins of the Savoyard Plantation still stand. Where a long-smoldering debt of blood has never been forgotten...

Where it has been waiting for Frank Nichols.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Failed academic Frank Nichols and his wife, Eudora, have arrived in the sleepy Georgia town of Whitbrow, where Frank hopes to write a history of his family's old estate—the Savoyard Plantation—and the horrors that occurred there. At first, the quaint, rural ways of their new neighbors seem to be everything they wanted. But there is an unspoken dread that the townsfolk have lived with for generations. A presence that demands sacrifice.

It comes from the shadowy woods across the river, where the ruins of Savoyard still stand. Where a longstanding debt of blood has never been forgotten.

A debt that has been waiting patiently for Frank Nichols's homecoming...

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Christopher Buehlman's book Those Across the River was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,327,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible