Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts…

I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman (2006)

by Nora Ephron

Recently added byLisa_Francine, private library, GalsGuidetotheGalaxy, rahkan, BobClarkeLibrary, pjpfodl
    Heartburn by Nora Ephron (kc.teadrinker)
    Yes Please by Amy Poehler (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: By turns touching and hilarious, these memoirs relate both what it is to be a woman and what Hollywood is really like. Celebrities -- they really are just like us!

English (125)  Finnish (1)  All languages (126)
I used some material in this for a few homilies.
  sacredheart25 | Jun 16, 2019 |
A collection of her essays - sometimes amusing, sometimes depressing. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Was Nora Ephron a talented writer? Yes. But it's hard to like a book where I can identify with close to ZERO of the ideas presented. I can't identify with spending three hours twice a week getting my hair done. I haven't thrown out my furniture on a whim and bought everything in beige just because it seemed fun. Going through a $20 bottle of bath oil every week is never something I've even ever imagined. It just seemed like a deluge of problems that I can't identify with because I'm not privileged or wealthy. If these "Thoughts on Being a Woman" were more like essays rather than ragged paragraphs alternating between detailing the life of a privileged person and complaining about such, I perhaps could have seen the value in this book. Occasionally I like a glance into this kind of life, but not this one.

1 vote Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
I really admire Nora Ephron and I love her wit- there were definitely moments in this essay collection that made me laugh out loud. Her essay "On Rapture," about that feeling of being caught up in a completely absorbing, amazing book, was especially awesome. Yet so much of her subject matter felt so shallow and unrelatable to me. A world of $250,000 salaries and Birkin bags and 126 pounds being considered "fat" is completely foreign to me, and some of the essay topics felt dated and cringily privileged to me. Still, it's a short read and Ephron's writing is delightful enough regardless of the topic that I'd still recommend it. ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |
no redeeming features - DNF. ( )
  celerydog | Nov 10, 2018 |
For Nick, Jacob, and Max
I feel bad about my neck.

With her disarming, intimate, completely accessible voice, and dry sense of humor, Nora Ephron shares with us her ups and downs in I Feel Bad About My Neck, a candid, hilarious look at women who are getting older and dealing with the tribulations of maintenance, menopause, empty nests, and life itself.

The woman who brought us When Harry Met Sally . . . , Sleepless in Seattle, You’ve Got Mail, and Bewitched, and the author of best sellers Heartburn, Scribble Scribble, and Crazy Salad, discusses everything—from how much she hates her purse to how much time she spends attempting to stop the clock: the hair dye, the treadmill, the lotions and creams that promise to slow the aging process but never do. Oh, and she can’t stand the way her neck looks. But her dermatologist tells her there’s no quick fix for that.

Ephron chronicles her life as an obsessed cook, passionate city dweller, and hapless parent.  She recounts her anything-but-glamorous days as a White House intern during the JFK years (“I am probably the only young woman who ever worked in the Kennedy White House that the President did not make a pass at”) and shares how she fell in and out of love with Bill Clinton—from a distance, of course.  But mostly she speaks frankly and uproariously about life as a woman of a certain age.

Utterly courageous, wickedly funny, and unexpectedly moving in its truth telling, I Feel Bad About My Neck is a book of wisdom, advice, and laugh-out-loud moments, a scrumptious, irresistible treat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:34 -0400)

A collection of essays offers a humorous look at the ups and downs of being a woman of a certain age, discussing the tribulations of maintenance and trying to stop the clock, menopause, and empty nests.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,493,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible