I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman (2006)

by Nora Ephron

From the screenwriter who brought us When Harry Met Sally comes a hilarious, candid look at issues that concern women. With her disarming, intimate, completely accessible voice, and dry sense of humor, Nora Ephron discusses everything - from how much she hates her purse to how much time she spends attempting to stop the clock: the hair dye, the treadmill, the lotions and creams that promise to slow the aging process but never do. Oh, and she can't stand the way her neck looks. But her dermatologist tells her there's no quick fix for that. Ephron chronicles her life as an obsessed cook, passionate city dweller, and hapless parent in an audiobook that is utterly courageous, wickedly funny, and unexpectedly moving in its truth telling.… (more)
    Heartburn by Nora Ephron (kc.teadrinker)
    Yes Please by Amy Poehler (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: By turns touching and hilarious, these memoirs relate both what it is to be a woman and what Hollywood is really like. Celebrities -- they really are just like us!

English (138)  Finnish (1)  All languages (139)
Some interesting and humorous takes on a woman's life. ( )
  addunn3 | Jun 3, 2021 |
I hadn't ever planned to read this one but I did. I found it amusing and the parts about aging rang true and funny. I also enjoyed the one where she talks about losing herself in her reading. A quick read. ( )
  Kristelh | Jun 2, 2021 |
A few chapters were amusing. It started out promising. But, I would recommend borrowing this from a library. There's only a few funny parts in the book. The rest of it was boring and I didn't identify with her life in NYC/High Maintenance Beauty thing/Gourmet Cooking ramblings. Like others have said, it is a fast read, but not always an interesting one.
  AnnieMK | May 12, 2021 |
Nora Ephron was a powerful creative force in the world. She was smart, she was witty, and she was the woman behind some of the warmest romantic movies ever made. I say all that to make myself feel better about the fact that this book didn’t quite work for me. I don’t know if I’m too young to appreciate the experiences she was sharing or too old to let her essays come to me without mentally criticizing them. I don’t know if I’m too childless or too annoyed by the existence of large cities with too many people in them or too spoiled by the works of the many, many women who were inspired by Nora Ephron. It was smart, it was witty. But it wasn’t exactly right for me. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
I laughed and got misty eyed. ( )
  L11fields | May 1, 2021 |
For Nick, Jacob, and Max
I feel bad about my neck.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,878,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible