No Wonder They Call Him the Savior (1986)

by Max Lucado

The cross. It rests on the time line of history. Like a compelling diamond ... Its tragedy summons all the sufferers ... Its absurdity attracts all cynics ... Its hope lures all searchers. Far more than a gold-plated symbol of religious belief, the cross is the centerpiece of the Christian faith -- the meeting place of time and eternity. Where God and man encounter each other. Max Lucado takes you through the drama of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ -- bringing to life Peter's denial, Pilate's hesitancy, and John's loyalty. Relive the events leading up to Jesus' crucifixion, from the foggy garden of Gethsemane to the incandescent room of the resurrection. No Wonder They Call Him the Savior leads you up the hill of mankind's highest hope and reminds you why he deserves to be called our Savior.… (more)

This volume includes three of Max Lucado's best-loved works: No Wonder They Call Him the Savior, Six Hours One Friday, and And the Angels Were Silent.
In No Wonder They Call Him the Savior, best-selling author Max Lucado invites readers to meet the blue-collar Jew whose claim altered a world and whose promise has never been equaled. Readers will come to know Jesus the Christ in a brand new way as Lucado brings them full circle to the foot of the cross and the man who sacrificed His life on it.
Then, in Six Hours One Friday, readers learn that they don't have to weather life's storms alone, but that God promises to be with them no matter what they are facing. He does this because of what happened in only six hours one Friday so many years ago.
Finally, come face-to-face with the Savior during His final week on earth and learn about the loving purpose and deliberate intent that went into His every action, His every word in And the Angels Were Silent.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Oct 12, 2019 |
A heart touching easy read compilation of short stories that brings you closer to Jesus as Savior. ( )
  HCC_ResourceLibrary | Jan 3, 2019 |
It all comes down to one thing.
When your life feels hollow, what can fill it with meaning?
If someone asked you, "What makes Christianity different from other religion?" How could you answer?
THE CROSS
So take a good look at the cross. Examine this hour in history. Look at the witnesses, Listen to the voices. Watch the faces. Most of all Observe The Savior
  Fellowshipwc | May 19, 2018 |
Max Lucado was asked by an acquaintance in a coffee house about his faith. "What is it that matters?" the man asked. "Skip the periphery. Go to the essence. Tell me the part that matters." Years later, the answer had solidified for Lucado. The cross of Calvary. That's the essence. "If the account of the cross is true, it's history's hinge. ... If not, it's history's hoax."

This book, then, is a search for the meaning of the cross. Special attention is given to the little details of the Golgotha scene. The words spoken from the cross, the thieves on either side, the graying mother at Christ's feet. No wonder they call him Savior.

Next, the scene shifts from Jesus to the witnesses. All those who played a part, big or small. Finally, the resurrection.

The book is flavored throughout with a number of personal stories. It’s highly inspirational, meant for spiritual encouragement. I confess I didn't read the whole thing; when it shifted gears into a study guide 2/3 of the way through, I shut down. Lucado is also a conservative believer, and the assumptions about the Bible’s historical accuracy and Jesus' divinity began to weary me. He writes as a friendly minister who assumes we share his traditional Christian outlook. I can't do that, and if the only way to appreciate the story of Jesus is to turn the whole thing into a supernatural religion, then I'm left in the cold.

Three stars from me, but for another person at another stage in their life, I'm sure Lucado's uplifting writing style will hit the mark. ( )
1 vote DubiousDisciple | Oct 22, 2011 |
Max Lucado follows Jesus' journey to the cross for us, and shows us His amazing humanity and divinity combined. No wonder they call Him the Saviour! This book was really good for me - it challenged me to go back to my basic beliefs and recognise how awesome God is. ( )
2 vote Amzzz | Nov 2, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,118,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible