Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

by John R. Erickson

Other authors: Gerald L. Holmes (Illustrator)

Series: Hank the Cowdog (6)

Hank the Cowdog, Head of Ranch Security, pursues an elusive chicken murderer.

Hank is trying to solve the murders of two pullets on his ranch and, as usual, messes up words and clues. He does finally solve the crime, only the answer doesn't bring him the satisfaction he expected. As usual, I loved the sound effects (especially that rocket-like zoom when Hank is running), and the old music used for the background. This time I noticed 'I've Been Working on the Railroad' along with 'Turkey in the Straw' and 'Red River Valley'.

Thanks to an attempt to show off for the beautiful Beulah, Hank takes a tumble. This leads to a brief reunion with Ralph, the basset hound who lives in a dogpound, from It's a Dog's Life. Ralph, who will later be known as 'Dogpound Ralph' gets to have Hank keep telling him his name is 'Clyde'. (Not even close, Hank!)

Later, Hank finds himself in grave trouble -- so grave that the buzzards expect to eat him for breakfast. Fortunately, Hank is given a chance to save the day and comes through.

My favorite part was the scene with the mailman. I know the tune used for 'Bark at the Mailman Battle Hymn,' but I just can't remember its name. It's a rousing song, though. As for 'I'm Locked in the Jailhouse With Buzzards on the Roof,' with its use of the old 'dun dun dun dun DUN dun dun dun dun dun dun funeral notes used in cartoons as part of its tune, I was tickled.

Great family fun! ( )
  JalenV | Apr 8, 2014 |

John R. Ericksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holmes, Gerald L.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Hank the Cowdog, Head of Ranch Security, pursues an elusive chicken murderer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,576,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible