The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan…

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (2014)

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (6)

1,1981209,909 (4.03)197
    Love and murder by Gail Bowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these cozy mysteries have darker aspects, with family secrets affecting young girls. Preteen Flavia de Luce, the intrepid sleuth in Dead in Their Vaulted Arches and adult Joanne Kilbourn investigating Love and Murder make and resolve astonishing discoveries.… (more)

English (121)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (124)
I'm continuing to enjoy this series. I enjoy Flavia's wit and wisdom and I learn much about chemistry that I've never known. ( )
  eliorajoy | Sep 27, 2018 |
#6 Flavia de Luce
Flavia's story continues to be as interesting as the mystery ( )
  ParadisePorch | Sep 25, 2018 |
Oh-HO, here we go! Suddenly it's much more A Series of Unfortunate Events and less just Kalle Blomkvist! ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Ya-roooh! Tah rah rah BOOM dee ay! So glad I continued the series. I almost stopped except for that cliffhanger at the end of the last book. This one was one of my favorites in the series. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
Jayne Entwhistle is quite possibly my favorite audiobook reader. She is just FANTASTIC. I love these books, but I'm not sure how much of that fondness is due solely to the skill of the reader. Flavia is a firecracker of a protagonist, and I can't get enough of her!

Honestly, parts of the plot in this one left a little to be desired, but I didn't really notice, so I guess I can say it wasn't that distracting. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |

The Marble Tombs that rise on high,
Whose Dead in vaulted Arches lye,
Whose Pillars swell with sculptur'd Stones,
Arms, Angels, Epitaphs and Bones
These (all the poor Remains of State)
Adorn the Rich, or praise the Great;
Who while on Earth in Fame they live,
Are senseless of the Fame they give.
- Thomas Parnell, A Night-Piece on Death (1721)
Beloved Amadeus
"Your mother has been found." (prologue)
To begin with, it was a perfect English morning: one of those dazzling days in early April when a new sun makes it seem suddenly like full-blown summer.
Titles taken from official website.

"On a spring morning in 1951, eleven-year-old chemist and aspiring detective Flavia de Luce gathers with her family at the railway station, awaiting the return of her long-lost mother, Harriet. Yet upon the train's arrival in the English village of Bishop's Lacey, Flavia is approached by a tall stranger who whispers a cryptic message into her ear. Moments later, he is dead, mysteriously pushed under the train by someone in the crowd. Who was this man, what did his words mean, and why were they intended for Flavia? Back home at Buckshaw, the de Luces' crumbling estate, Flavia puts her sleuthing skills to the test. Following a trail of clues sparked by the discovery of a reel of film stashed away in the attic, she unravels the deepest secrets of the de Luce clan, involving none other than Winston Churchill himself. Surrounded by family, friends, and a famous pathologist from the Home Office--and making spectacular use of Harriet's beloved Gypsy Moth plane, Blithe Spirit--Flavia will do anything, even take to the skies, to land a killer. Acclaim for Alan Bradley's beloved Flavia de Luce novels, winners of the Crime Writers' Association Debut Dagger Award, Barry Award, Agatha Award, Macavity Award, Dilys Winn Award, and Arthur Ellis Award: 'If ever there were a sleuth who's bold, brilliant, and, yes, adorable, it's Flavia de Luce.'--USA Today ; 'Irresistibly appealing.'--The New York Times Book Review, on A Red Herring Without Mustard; 'Original, charming, devilishly creative.'-- Bookreporter, on I Am Half-Sick of Shadows; 'Delightful and entertaining.'--San Jose Mercury News, on Speaking from Among the Bones"-- "Bishop's Lacey is never short of two things: Mysteries to solve and pre-adolescent detectives to solve them. In this New York Times bestselling series of cozy mysteries, young chemist and aspiring detective Flavia de Luce once again brings her knowledge of poisons and her indefatigable spirit to solve the most dastardly crimes the English countryside has to offer and, in the process, comes closer than ever to solving her life's greatest mystery--her mother's disappearance.."--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Alan Bradley's book The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,915,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible