I Don't Want to Be a Pea! by Ann Bonwill

I Don't Want to Be a Pea!

by Ann Bonwill

I literally said, "Aw!" at the sweet happy ending...two peas in a pod. :) There's also a subtle change of perspective by the end of the book; at the beginning, they introduce each other as "Bella is my bird" and "Hugo is my hippo," but at the end, at the party, they say, "I am Bella's hippo," and "I am Hugo's bird."

Love how all their costume ideas play off their differences in size. I also like the "crisis" page, where instead of showing them angry, the agitation is implied in the orangey footprints all over the pages. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
Friends argue and then make up. Charming and colorful. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
For Erin Bran and Baby. -- S.R.
For Katie, a friendship story. -- A.B.
All hippos have birds, and Bella is mine.

Hugo is in no doubt as to what he and Bella should go as to the Hippo-Bird Fancy Dress Party. They will go as the princess and the pea and he will be the princess (of course!) leaving poor Bella to be the pea. Indignant, Bella refuses. She has a better suggestion - they will go as a mermaid on a rock and she will be the mermaid (of course!) leaving a huffy Hugo to be the rock. Hugo is not happy. But neither is Bella. They just can't decide on a costume and things reach a crisis when they both flounce off saying they don't want to go to the party at all. After time to consider, both Hugo and Bella calm down and (privately) both choose to dress as a pea as a gesture of making it all up to each other. So when they both arrive at the party as peas, Hugo and Bella announce proudly that they are 'two peas in a pod, just as it should be' underlining the message of the book that friendship is all about give and take. With wonderfully absurd illustrations from new talent Simon Rickerty and a great read-aloud text, this is a made-for-sharing picture book.
[retrieved 2/28/13 from Amazon.com]

Hugo Hippo and Bella Bird are best friends, but a disagreement over costumes may prevent the two from attending the annual "Fairytale Fancy Dress Party."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,667,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible