Infidel by Kameron Hurley

Infidel

by Kameron Hurley

Series: Bel Dame Apocrypha (2)

Everything I hoped for in a sequel...

I felt this was every bit as good as 'God's War,' and I loved being transported back to Hurley's poisonous, bug-infested world.

However - I'd definitely recommend starting with the first book - this is one where you won't be lost, plot-wise, but it's going to be a richer experience if you've already 'gotten to know' the characters.

Mercenary assassin Nyx is down on her luck, taking 'babysitting' jobs as a bodyguard. But when she stumbles into a revolutionary plot involving warring governments, supposed third parties, and, of course, the organization of female assassins called bel dames who kicked Nyx out years ago... she jumps at the chance to get involved, and drags her team in behind her.

It's a violent, gritty, action-oriented book - but it also explores complex motivations and emotions, the interplay of cultures, and conflicting loyalties. Plus, it's chock-full of nasty, fascinating details...

Now... time to find the third in the series! ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I found the plot confusing and the regular bouts of violence seemed perfunctory - like a game where you have to have an action scene every x number of minutes. A lot less satisfying than the first one. ( )
  SChant | Jun 28, 2015 |
Way better than the first book, both because it knows where it's going from page one and because the story does a great job of making all the characters' choices harder and more biting. I can't wait to see what happens to Nyx in the third book. ( )
  jen.e.moore | May 8, 2015 |
Infidel is the sequel to God’s War and takes place six years after it. I recommend reading God’s War first, but it is not unfeasible to read Infidel without having read God’s War. However, you will have missed out on the world building introduced in the first book and may have difficulty catching up.

From the back cover: “Nyx is a bodyguard in Mustallah, the capital city of Nasheen. The centuries-long holy war between Nasheen and Chenja is taking its toll, with shortages and rationing causing the Queen to lose power and popularity. While protecting the daughter of a Ras Tiegan Diplomat, Nyx is attacked by a group of assassins… Caught up in a whirl-wind of intrigue involving Bel Dam Assassins plotting against the Queen, Nyx must learn who the rouge Bel Dam is…

As with God’s War, the plot is less important than the characters. While Nyx is undoubtedly the center of the story, Infidel is told through the viewpoints of three characters: Nyx, Rhys, and Inaya.

Nyx is my favorite of the three. She’s still a world-weary anti heroine, but she’s beginning to feel old. She’s survived longer than most Bel Dames, but at times she almost seems to have a death wish. She’s a complex and fascinating character and ultimately what makes me love this series so much.

“So what the hell’s wrong with me?” Nyx eased off the marble slab.

“Besides your deviant moral flexibility and severe phobia of emotional commitment?” Yahfia asked.

“I consider those virtues,” Nyx said.

Rhys and Inaya have both made new lives for themselves, and I found it interesting to see how they’d changed over the course of six years. I may not love them as much as Nyx, but that’s not to fault them – they are both well written characters.

I think the writing’s improved from the first book. I found Infidel easier to follow, both in terms of the plot and the general writing style.

I don’t have much more to add – if you liked God’s War, you should enjoy Infidel, which manages to stand strong despite being the second book in the trilogy.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Mar 3, 2015 |
A lot of what I liked about Infidel can be summed up by saying it reminds me of Ani Difranco's song Untouchable Face.

Hurley does a great job balancing relationships and conflict and not reducing relationships to either their conflict or the resolution thereof. Multiple ongoing relationships in this story find interesting paths that allow the characters to remain true to themselves without compromising into generic social norms. This, of course, brings pain, but it ends up being much more satisfying to read than other kinds of resolution. Instead of shoehorning her characters into standard roles, she expands her world to fit them. I like this very much, even when it leads characters I like away from comfort or safety.

nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |

Kameron Hurleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The smog of Mushtallah tasted of tar and ashes; it tasted like the war.

The only thing worse than war is revolution. Especially when you're already losing the war...

Nyx used to be a bel dame, a government-funded assassin with a talent for cutting off heads for cash. Now she's babysitting diplomats to make ends meet and longing for the days when killing was a lot more honorable.

When Nyx's former bel dame "sisters" lead a coup against the government that threatens to plunge the country into civil war, Nyx is tasked with bringing them in. The hunt takes Nyx and her inglorious team of mercenaries to one of the richest, most peaceful, and most contaminated places on the planet - a country wholly unprepared to host a battle waged by the world's deadliest assassins.

In a rotten nation of sweet-tongued politicians, giant bugs, and renegade shape shifters, Nyx will forge unlikely allies and rekindle old acquaintances. And the bodies she leaves scattered across the continent this time... may include her own.

Because no matter where you go or how far you run in this world, one thing is certain: the bloody bel dames will find you.

Nyx used to be a government-funded assassin with a talent for cutting off heads for cash. Her country's war rages on, but her assassin days are long over. Now she's babysitting diplomats to make ends meet and longing for the days when killing people was a lot more honorable. When Nyx's former assassins lead a coup against the government that threatens to plunge the country into civil war, Nyx volunteers to stop them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,301,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible