The kidnapped prince by Ann Cameron

The kidnapped prince

by Ann Cameron

Other authors: Olaudah Equiano (Author)

The biography of Olaudah Equiano, the young African boy who was kidnapped, hidden in an enormous sack, and carried off into slavery, and his struggle with injustice, heartbreak, and his own despair as well as his triumph because of his courage, intelligence, love of adventure, and his unconquerable faith.… (more)

As I'm homeschooling my girls, I sometimes come across a book or lesson that makes me think that my own education has been lacking. That happened again as I read this book. The Kidnapped Prince is the autobiography of Olaudah Equiano, an African slave in the late 18th Century who won his freedom, got an education and published his story. (Take that, all you bozos who said that Africans were inferior to whites!) Why wasn't this book required reading back when I was in school? Well, one reason is that this is an adaption of Equiano's autobiography. Ms. Cameron edited the story down a bit and rewrote the tale in a language more understandable for us 21st Century types. Anyway, I'm a strong believer in reading first hand accounts of history, and since slavery is such an important aspect of American history, I would recommend that any parent let their child check this one out. Me, I'm going to go look for the original work, to see what I might have missed.
--J. ( )
1 vote Hamburgerclan | Feb 26, 2007 |

Ann Cameronprimary authorall editionscalculated
Equiano, OlaudahAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andreasen, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gates Jr., Henry LouisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prato, RodicaCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olaudah Equiano was an African boy -- a prince -- who was kidnapped and carried off to a strange new world.   (Introduction by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.)
It is dangerous to publish the story of one's life.  (Prologue)
I was born not far from the Equator, in an African village.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,750,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible