Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (560)  Spanish (4)  German (2)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (569)
Insurgent (Veronica Roth) NY: Harper Collins: 2012

Choice: YA: 545 PG

Summary: After the attack on Abnigation, Tris and Tobias try to rebuild the Dauntless faction. They figure out that Jeanine is trying to control all the factions with another long term tracking serum. They make a plan to break into her headquarters and destroy all her data. Tris works against Tobias to release information that her mother died for, appearing to be a traitor.

Critique: What happens after a planned society starts to fight itself? This is one version of what might happen.

Activity (After): What would you do if you were in Tris's position at the end? Would you go against Tobias or stay out of the fight?
  RachaelWilley | Mar 26, 2019 |
Loved it! ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
Can I give it 6 stars? This book had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. There are parts that made me swoon, parts that made me want to weep, parts where I wanted to throw the book against the wall.

A definite recommend for everyone. ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
Oh the angst. I'm not sure I can handle it. Seriously Tris talk to Four, Four talk to Tris you're driving me crazy
I'm glad that I finished reading the book though. I'm not sure I'll be able to handle another book quite yet. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
As soon as I finally finished Divergent about a month ago, I knew that I needed to get Insurgent into my hands as soon as possible. I was eager for more Tris, more Tobias, and of course to find out what was going to happen next. When my library finally announced that I was next on the waiting list I was ecstatic! I dove into this book with all the fervor that I had within me. Let me tell you, it was so worth the wait.

Tris and Tobias are back, and this time around Veronica Roth proves she isn't just using this book as a filler for what's to come. The story line that is crafted here is expertly done, and there is raw emotion on every single page. I think what I liked best about Insurgent as a whole was seeing Tris really come into her own. In the first book we saw a girl who was ready to break out of her shell. In this one she's already there. Filled with guilt, anger, and a bit of confusion, Tris is a well fleshed out character. Sure, she might seem a little angst ridden some of the time, but it is this total spectrum of emotion that fuels her choices. I loved it.

Insurgent also brings to light a lot more about the factions themselves, as well as the people that reside within them. Roth shows readers who these people really are at their core. It's a lot simpler to understand why they might choose the way they do. If you were curious about Amity, this is your time! A lot of the story takes place in their headquarters, which was a nice change of pace. Best of all, the chemistry between Tris and Tobias is still present and, in my opinion, better than ever. Thank goodness for the lack of a love triangle! All I need are Tris and Tobias. Tobias and Tris. Dysfunctional maybe, but totally worth it.

Anyway I know I'm rambling. Let's just leave it at this. Although I didn't quite fall in love with Insurgent as much as I did Roth's first installment, I'm happy to report that there was a lot that I did completely enjoy. This is not a filler book. It is a well-written, beautifully paced, middle part to a so far amazing trilogy. The ending is killer. You've been warned. Now all I can think about is getting my hands on the next book in the series so I can sate my need for completion. Definitely one of my new favorite series.
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

AR Level 5.0, 16 pts

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,184,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible