Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

3,725None1,400 (3.96)253
2012 (67) 2013 (63) adventure (34) audiobook (19) Chicago (60) Divergent (45) dystopia (248) dystopian (166) ebook (54) factions (20) family (30) fantasy (49) fiction (152) identity (17) Kindle (41) library (16) post-apocalyptic (20) read (42) read in 2012 (43) read in 2013 (34) romance (63) science fiction (191) series (81) survival (17) teen (44) to-read (109) war (28) YA (162) young adult (216) young adult fiction (32)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)

English (301)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (305)
Why did I just now read this?!? It was a pretty damn good follow up to Divergent, the action never lets up and you're left racing to the end hoping to get some things wrapped up but when you get there, BAM, you're left hanging. You have to wait for the final book in the trilogy. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the last book so I'm scared to start it, but at the same time I have to find out what in the hell is going on!!

In Isurgent Tris has to learn to cope with the death of her parents and Will, she's scared to use a gun, but not afraid to rip people apart with her bare hands. She and Four (Tobias, that sexy dreamboat) are constantly arguing in this book. They can't agree on anything and are convinced that they're lying to each other. Together they team up with some loyal dauntless, factionless, Candor, and some other people to try and take down the evil Euradite woman, Jeanine, and her posse of evildoers.

Like I said it's fast paced and the action never lets up. Super quick read. Be warned though that if you haven't read Divergent you will be hopelessly lost. ( )
  ecataldi | Apr 13, 2014 |
If you haven't read the first book in the series, Divergent, do not read any further!! This review contains spoilers simply because it is the second book in the series and therefore will answer questions posed in book one.

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

This book begins where Divergent left off, with Tris having flash backs to what she was forced to do in order to save those she loved and cared about - unfortunately things involving violence against others she cared about while they were under the influence of the serum that Erudite leader Jeanine had created. A transmitter in the serum that allowed her to place those infected with the tainted serum into a simulation that reversed everything they saw. Friends became enemies and enemies were friends. She created the perfect army. Until Tris broke it, temporarily, with some help from a friend or two.

There is a great deal of confusion and frustration as Tris and Tobias try to sort out their relationship, at the same time Tris is trying to find a balance between all her different Divergent parts. Being Divergent is harder than she thought it would be, even with the limited information she has about what being Divergent really means. Not just because of the external dangers, but because of the internal conflict between who she is and how she was raised. The knowledge of the five different factions are too rigid for the Divergent to intimately exist within their society, let alone flourish.

Tris' personal growth seems stunted and slow. Much of the time she seems to get caught up in the same cycle over and over. Toward the end she finally begins to make some forward progress, but hasn't figured out how to express that to those closest to her - especially when she continues to discover that people are not who they seem to be. Tobias seems to mirror Tris' cycle, however since he tends to internalizes things more fewer people see it, and therefore he is viewed as being more stable. But it is tough to tell if that is true or not at this point.

Eventually they become Insurgents, a label Tris is much more comfortable with as it can be applied to anyone, be they Amity, Abnegation, Divergent, Dauntless, Candor, or Erudite. And the small band of Insurgents try to save the day by doing what looked to be impossible. Even if they succeed and win the day, it remains to be seen if it will be enough to save their society. ( )
  Isisunit | Apr 8, 2014 |
In many ways, this one was better than Divergent. But the end makes me wish I'd waited until the next one was written before i finished this one! ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
Picks up right where the last left off. Continues the relentless pace, gets a bit more brutal. Still, the characters intrigue me and engross me enough that I can't put it down.

WARNING!SPOILERS AHEAD! I got a few questions in this book answered I had been wanting in the first. The world they live in now makes more sense. What had been nagging me was that it didn't seem like a complete world, a self-sustainable world. It seemed there was an endless yet mysterious supply of "new" stuff, simple stuff, like new paper towels. They had functioning things like watches. Who made the watches? Where were the paper towels made? For that matter, where did all the weapons come from, the computers, etc. There were no factories, no plants. They did provide their own food, but the rest was a mystery. I'm still not sure the rest is supplied by the outside, but now I know there is an outside.

I started getting inklings that this was all an experiment early on, when they started talking more about the fence, and about secrets, what was out there. But that their memories were wiped, that they were the hope for the rest of them? That the Divergents especially were the ones to save them? Did not see that coming. Or that ending. No doubt people will be suspicious of Tris, knowing that her mother was the one in the video, even though everyone's memory has been wiped. There's a bit of irrationality and suspicion built into everyone's reactions, it seems.

Can't help comparing this series to Hunger Games. Which means comparing Tris to Katniss. The main difference I feel as I read is that Katniss was more mature, so it didn't really feel like I was reading a YA book. The characters here are a bit less mature, despite what they're going through. So it feels a bit young for me.

And yet, Tris's reactions feel very genuine. The ambivalence, inability to make the "right" choice, lingering on what she shouldn't or can't afford to think about. Sounds like an adolescent to me.

I've enjoyed this story, curious as it is, and will definitely read the final installment. Don't know if it'll live up to the promise of the cliffhanger, but it'll be worth finding out. ( )
  monica67 | Mar 25, 2014 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,497,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible