Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (426)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (432)
There is no way to review the entire series without giving away any spoilers, so here is the warning. Please read ahead at your own discretion in the off-chance that I was not the last person to read all three books.

The key word that comes to mind when considering the Divergent series as a whole is “real”. Even if the science is a little shaky, the people are heartbreakingly real. Tris, Tobias, Peter, Eric, Marcus, Evelyn, David, Jeanine – there is nothing unrealistic about them. They each have shadows in their past that define who they are and motivate them, just as there are certain personality traits that dictate their actions. Tris struggles to reconcile her actions with her moral code. At the same time, she is still only sixteen and acts like it at times with her unwillingness to share her thoughts. Tobias, too, shows his age in his need to protect rather than accept and work together. Revenge drives Evelyn, while a thirst for knowledge drives Jeanine. Eric and Peter are all just the results of genes and a society which celebrates certain traits. What’s more, all of them never really recover from the killing they must do in order to escape and continue with their plans. If they were, one would question the authenticity of the story and the sanity of the characters.

This realism extends to the controversial and highly upsetting ending. Would the story be half as effective had that one person been allowed to live? The idea of sacrificing the few to save the many has been a military strategy for hundreds of years, so it makes sense that this would not be a happily ever after tale. One does not have to like how Ms. Roth ends the series but one can recognize that her characters remain true to their ideals until the very end. Tris could not be anything other than selfless, just as Tobias could not do anything other than search for reconciliation. It is who they are and what makes readers fall in love with them.

The fact that most of the characters are so young is the story’s greatest strength and greatest weakness. It is a strength because young adults are the only ones still hopeful and inexperienced enough to be willing to fight to right wrongs. Most adults, especially in the Divergent world, require much more prodding and incentive to get involved. For young readers, their can-do attitude is inspiring, and for older readers, it is a great reminder that we should never forget our younger self’s optimism at being able to change the world.

The characters’ ages are also a weakness of the series because their interactions can be so frustrating. More than once throughout the second novel and even the third, one wants to put Tris and Tobias into a locked room in order to force them to talk to each other. They will want to knock Tris down a peg or two in her self-righteousness and want to knock some sense into Tobias when he gets into a fug. Their inner angst and teen drama put a pall on the action even while they stay true to the realism of the series.

The heart of the Divergent series revolves around extremes – black versus white, good versus bad, nature versus nurture, the few versus the many, selfish versus selfless, knowledge versus truth versus action versus pacifism. There are few answers, and none of them are easy. The story will break a reader’s heart multiple times, and it would be easy to dismiss the entire series because of these heart breaks. However, Ms. Roth demands readers reflect on everything that happens, requiring them to search for the truth in their own hearts and apply those lessons to their own lives. The Divergent series comes at a time where people are dividing themselves into more opposing factions, trying to categorize things as black and white. The series serves as a warning that nothing is black and white and therefore to categorize anything as such is only to create future conflict. For that reason, no matter how one feels about how the story ends for certain characters, one must respect the sheer power of Ms. Roth’s message and the important themes she intersperses throughout the three novels. ( )
  jmchshannon | Jul 29, 2015 |
This book takes off immediately where the last one ended.

The story gets more complicated and the relationship develops,but at a certain point I felt that it all plateaued in terms of keeping my interest.
There are some logic and moral issues in the story, but you keep reading and don't think so much about it.
I thought it was a bit boring for the first eighty pages. Then, it definitely picked up and I got into the story.
The last 150 pages are very intense. VERY intense.
It was nice to see how Veronica Roth explored so many different characters and relationships and integrated that aspect seamlessly into the non-stop action.
Tris is a teenage girl, trying to make some sense out of the world around her.
Tris's guilt seemed to be overwhelming in the book, but that's probably how we were supposed to feel, like her...overwhelemed.

The ending was predictable and underwhelming but it makes you want to read the next book because the author did leave us with a pretty good cliff-hanger at the end. This is the reason for my 4 stars. The book makes you want to read the next one.

There are lots of good quotes on the book that will make you smile, laugh, cry(?) or just think about it -

"Cruelty does not make a person dishonest, the same way bravery does not make a person kind."

“It reminds me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free.”

“I don't want to stop you. I want you to stop yourself.”

“We share a common enemy, but does that make us friends?”

“Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.” ( )
  Haidji | Jul 22, 2015 |
As good as the first one! I look forward to watching the film tomorrow. ( )
1 vote chimocho | Jul 7, 2015 |
A big let down. TERRIBLE metaphors all through the first few chapters of the book. The story wanders around. Characters splash back and forth, doing things that seem random, making choices based on things the author TELLS us. Violence and lust are tossed in to prop up the story, but aren't believable and don't work. This novel hangs around the neck of the first, hoping to use the heat of the original to fuel it. It fails. ( )
1 vote DL_Orton | Jun 29, 2015 |
Continues the story well. Not sure I actually like the characters but the story twists are good. ( )
1 vote libgirl69 | Jun 28, 2015 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Veronica Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,516,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible