Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (485)  Spanish (4)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (493)
Harder to get into than the first book. Seemed to be less content and slower moving as well. Also a bit nastier and grim in parts which made it hard going ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
I love "on the edge of my seat" endings . . especially when they revolve around finishing the second book of a terrific trilogy! Veronica Roth's third,and final, book of the Divergent Trilogy, Allegiant, is inching toward me on my beloved library's HOLD list. Thankfully, for me, anticipation is something I embrace with open arms. ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

Insurgent is the next book in the Divergent Series, but in my opinion, not as good as the first.

Set immediately after the events of Divergent, Insurgent was a whole new breed, primarily because I had a much more difficult time relating to the main character Tris. Even though Tris faced many difficult decisions that I agreed with in Divergent, this was not the case in the second book. Her judgment calls seemed counterproductive and hard to agree with. Many times while reading this book I found myself pacing up and down my cabin, shaking my head in pure frustration, and shouting out loud "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!".

That being said, the book was still enjoyable and explored more into the faction system that was not fully detailed in the first book. Some interesting secrets are revealed and shocking questions are brought forth. These led me to still be interested in reading the final book in the series (Not including the prequel Four). If your looking for more Divergent, then its still a good read, but personally I'm hoping the next book picks back up. I still love you Veronica Roth and can't wait to read more of your books!

(www.FictionForesight.com) ( )
  FictionForesight | Apr 26, 2016 |
Insurgent I have to say was not as good a s Divergent or Allegiant. But it was still good. Veronica Roth is still amazing and I love her work though. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
Well, the good news is the advancement of the writer, in the fact that the character has more than two reactions to everything.

The bad news is this could have been a duology rather than a trilogy.

I still say good concept, okay execution. The details are starting to show up now, though they are still too few and too far apart. It's having the effect of both making the reader want to continue and making them want to give up.

And as I read more of the recently published stuff, I'm realizing my characters don't naval gaze nearly as much as many recent books. However, that's not something that I enjoy reading, which is what gets a lot of books knocked for.

So just working through a few other books, then on to the final book. ( )
  gilroy | Apr 24, 2016 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,912,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible