Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.… (more)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (625)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (632)
I absolutely loved the first book in this series but the quality definitely went down with each subsequent book not to mention THAT ENDING!!!! I do find the world and characters created by Veronica Roth to be fresh, engaging, and well written. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I hate cliffhangers. Especially when you have to wait for a book to be puslished to know what happens next. Well, about Insurgent, I can say I was surprised in what concerns Tris's character. I felt like I got to know her better but at the same time she became more misterious. It was interesting to see how Tris coped with Will's death and how her relationship with Tobias developed. I have the feeling that everything became more clear regarding factions and the "outside".
All I can say now is: I need Allegiant, now! ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
This was a reread for me, but there was quite a bit that I didn't remember from this so it was fun to reread it. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
After the attack on Abnegation, it is clear to Tris and Four that there is something much larger going on than they ever could have imagined. All-out war among the factions is inevitable and it's difficult to know where everyone stands. Together, they need to unite those who are willing to stand up against Jeanine and the other forces threatening to bring down everything upon which their society is built. But there are secrets that Tris and Four have yet to uncover--about themselves and about the real reasons for Jeanine's actions...

In some ways, I think I liked this better than the first novel. We get the chance to see how some of the other factions live that we didn't get to see in the first book. It's also very interesting to see the layers to the political dynamics and understand how the events at the end of the first book were likely brewing for some time, but there was no real mechanism to shut it down. There are, of course, several moments where I wanted to reach through the pages and shake Tris, but what else is new there? Definitely looking forward to seeing this adapted to the big screen this weekend... ( )
  crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |
2012 (4 stars) It was a pretty good book though not even close to the caliber my favorites. I liked Peter in this book and Uriah is STILL my favorite character. The ending was predictable in my opinion though that's ok because the author left it as a cliff hanger which I HATE only because I can't read the next book right away! I don't really like Tris to much though... She always feels so independent but when it actually counts other people have to save her sorry butt. However, I DO love that she stands up for why she believes is right even if it's against the ones she loves. Another thing I Loved was the Humor throughout the book it makes the whole book a bit more relatable. The fact that they have things in their mind that they needed to be distracted from even for just a little while. It makes them seem more human and not just brainwashed killing machines.

2013 (5 stars)
Tris is a bit more tolerable the 2nd time through, maybe because I feel like I've changed as a person since the last time I read it. I also completely forgot about how Caleb was a jerk so I was disappointed by his character AGAIN. I obviously still think Uriah is the best (then Tobias, Lynn, and Peter). I had also forgotten basically everything about this book (which I why I needed to re-read for Allegiant). The only thing I distinctly remembered about this book was Peter, Four, and Tris in the trash incinerator and Peter saying to Tris "Don't say I never took you anywhere nice" or something like that. That's IT. So it was refreshing to re-read such a good book with great complex characters. Idk why this wasn't immediately a favorite the first time through. ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

AR Level 5.0, 16 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,451,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible