dismiss

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.… (more)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (597)  Spanish (3)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (604)
Still like the writing style of Veronica Roth. Nice surprises here and there but now feels more like a chick fleck. Nonetheless, a nice read. ( )
  sami7 | Aug 3, 2020 |
Started out slow, but got more compelling as it went on. Nice development both of the A-plot and of the romantic and other relationship plots. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
The continuing saga of Tris and Four. This would be a great series to have as a book club with young adults, I would love to hear their viewpoints on character and behavior and loyalty and family etc. ( )
  Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
I really liked the plot and the premise but in all honesty? I really REALLY hated most of the characters, including Tris and Tobias - I actually disliked those two the most. But it def was not worth the hype.

Full review can be found here: http://bookwormcorner.tumblr.com/post/115980992138/divergent-insurgent-and-alleg... ( )
  artdamnit_reads | Jul 29, 2020 |
Um, hello, what was that ending?! I am SO glad I have the next book on hand, because WOW! THAT ENDING!!!!!

This book was super enjoyable. It was a really easy read, and impossible to put down.
That said, I didn't actually love it. It's not a bad book, just... it was lacking something for sure.

I also don't even like dystopians, sooo... there's that.

I also didn't really care about the plot. First of all, I predicted most of the smaller twists. Second of all, what even was the plot? There was sort of a lack of plot for a five hundred page book. It wasn't complex enough for me. There was sort of only one plot thread, and I'm sorry but since the book clearly wasn't character driven, I needed a complex plot with a million different threads that all tie together perfectly. If I loved the characters I could excuse the simplicity of the plot, but I don't, so I can't.

However there was one VERY interesting plot twist at the end, and I officially NEED book three! So... the plot managed to salvage itself in the last couple pages at least.

Yeah, and speaking of characters... They sort of suck. Tris is... she makes an enjoyable enough protagonist to read about, but I actually really don't like her. Despite all of her self-sacrificing-ishness (this is definitely a word, okay? Don't question me on this), she was actually pretty selfish at times. And when she's not being selfish, she's self-sacrificing to the point of being annoying, and has this collier-than-thou attitude, and it's just really annoying. And also she's just annoying in general.

And Four... I remember loving him in Divergent, but ummm... Not anymore. He was a bit of a jerk, and he kept lying to Tris, and honestly he doesn't respect her very much. Blegh.

The side characters were pretty likeable I guess. There was lots of enjoyable banter, and honestly I care way more for their wellbeing than I do for Tris's and Four's. Oops.

Although ALL the characters were just in general pretty idiotic. The amount of times I was yelling at them NOT TO DO SOMETHING, and they went ahead and did it is actually just ridiculous. How is it even possible for ALL the characters to be SO DUMB!!!

And then there was the writing style... I had mixed feelings about the writing style. On the one hand, it was super engaging and easy to read. On the other hand, it was sort of cheesy and weird, and I didn't always love it. Also there were too many dialogue tags, and that made the conversations really hard to read.

Okay, so despite the fact that this was a super ranty review in which I talked only about the negatives, I actually REALLY enjoyed this book. I just can't figure out why... I guess because it's just so easy to read, and I'm also weirdly invested in it, despite not liking the main characters... ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

AR Level 5.0, 16 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,854,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible