Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (2013)

by Veronica Roth

Series: Divergent (2)

7,564519454 (3.87)336
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Anonymous user)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (peptastic)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    XVI by Julia Karr (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Both are well-written dystopians with complicated and developed female protagonists and excellent plotting.
    The Iron Butterfly by Chanda Hahn (SayoC)
    Die Verratenen by Ursula Poznanski (Camaho)

English (509)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (518)
I totally loved this book. I think it's way better than book 1.

For so much of the story, I felt lost about where the storyline was going, who could be trusted etc. I throughly enjoyed dissecting each dialogue and action trying to figure out my predictions.

Great great wonderful read. I recommend it to everyone. I can't wait to start book 3.

Also I wanted to add how much I love how Tris is always true to self. She analyzes everything and goes with her gut even if no one else is going that direction or how detrimental it is to her being.

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I totally loved this book. I think it's way better than book 1.

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Insurgent is the sequel to Divergent. In insurgent, Tris and Four have gotten caught for being divergent by the faction Erudite who want to experiment and kill all divergents. Tris and Four are now on the run and figuring out a way to stop Jeanine who is there leader of Erudite. I like this book because it shows how Tris has grown throughout the book. ( )
  TiffanyKhuu | Jan 6, 2017 |
Insurgent is the second book in the divergent serious. ( )
  lucyd.bg3 | Jan 2, 2017 |
The novel picks up where the last novel, Divergent, leaves off, but as another reviewer pointed it, it's as if you've discovered an entirely different person as Tris was portrayed in the first novel!

The Tris in Divergent is a girl on the cusp of womanhood, growing up in an Amish-type group called Abnegation and they have very severe laws of behavior.

Through a rite that looks suspiciously like Harry Potter's Sorting Hat ceremony, she goes to Dauntless, the military-style faction in post-Apocalypse Chicago.

Anyway, Insurgent does not stand on its own. You have to read the first before reading the second. The second does little to catch the reader up so if you're new to the series you're about as screwed as Will was under simulation – but I digress!

Comments:

I like the world Veronica Roth built, but not how she wrote it. She dives so much into the teenage angst of Tris, and what she thinks about certain things, her fear of being a liar, deceiving all her friends and having a major guilt trip during the first 300 pages of the novel.

When I finally reached (struggled is more the term) near the end with the confrontation with Jeanine, the conversion of Peter (a religious angle? Nah!) and a convoluted ending, well let's just say I was not rewarded by what I read.

Book to Movie: This is not a review of the movie, but I did like the movie better than the book. That's like saying I liked spinach better than liver.

The movie cuts to the chase and leaves out all the teenage angst nonsense, and brings the ending to a fast conclusion (changing Roth's plot liberally). But with speed it loses its interest, and so it too is not really worth the time.

Conclusion:

Divergent is a novel that is very derivative of other Young Adult novels of a similar genre. The author must have read Hunger Games and Harry Potter and morphed them into a dystopian novel of sorts.

I could have worked regardless. Unfortunately the Tris character being changed from a tough as nails warrior to a whiny, suicidal teenager was too much to bear.

Not recommended!

1 vote James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
I won't write a spoiler here, but Veronica Roth really has a way of wrapping up the end of the story while leaving the reader gasping at the revelation, and desperate to read more.

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.

-From the Candor faction manifesto
To Nelson,

who was worth every risk
I wake with his name in my mouth.

Tris Prior survives the Erudite simulation attacks that occur during the time she expected to be celebrating her achievement of being ranked first among the initiate class of her chosen faction, Dauntless. Even though the Dauntless have been freed from Erudite mind control, a war develops and secrets emerge.

"As war surges in the dystopian society around her, sixteen-year-old Divergent Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,652,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible