The Maze Runner (2009)

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (1)

13,029729370 (3.78)1 / 348
Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12, wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: When I read this, it reminded me of an orchestrated Lord of the Flies.
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Running With the Wolves by J.E. Reed (paigemartin)
    paigemartin: The characters are placed in a foreign environment without an understanding of how they got there or who put them there. The battle to escape back to reality is filled with monsters and adventures that lead to an incredible amount of character development.… (more)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    The Last Girl by Joe Hart (LiteraryReadaholic)
    The Roar by Emma Clayton (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Has a lot of action. A dystopian setting where Kids are force in to a competition to service.
    The Final Trade by Joe Hart (LiteraryReadaholic)
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (gaialover)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    The Unknown by J. W. Lynne (Anonymous user)

English (716)  Spanish (7)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (728)
I liked it - very very fast read. Not as good as some other young adult fiction, but good. ( )
  kathp | Jun 10, 2022 |
Told from the perspective of a boy who is struggling to make sense of his new environment so that he can escape the nightmare. As the reader, I too am strung along, burning with questions. The author gives answers sparingly, and only accompanied by more questions. It reminds me of the hit TV show, 'Lost'. If you enjoyed that show, then you might enjoy these books. For myself, I found no compelling reason to continue reading. I don't enjoy being strung along or openly manipulated for the entire book, and unlike the protagonist, I can choose to stop reading and return to the real world quite easily. Aside from that, it's a dark series. Pain and suffering, distrust and betrayal, death and sacrifice all make regular appearances, with no compelling reason for the protagonist to press on other than survival, revenge, and to satisfy his own curiosity. Not a fun book to read, and no discernable underlying themes to salvage either. Just a morbid and confusing, albeit fast-paced, tale.

No thanks. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
I wasn't sure I wanted to read this, but I finally got hooked on it and plowed through to the end as fast as I could read. Only to be disappointed. There was no explanation of the mechanisms by which things work in the universe of the characters. Nor was it reasonable to discover that their tormentors and their rescuers were not only one and the same, but as cold-hearted as they were.
Vaguely reminds me of Lord of the Flies, and Ender's Game. ( )
  MarkLacy | May 29, 2022 |
Enjoyed the movie! Enjoyed the book! Looking forward to the next movie and books. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
I'm reading this book because I took my neice to see the second movie. That plot confused me so much that it triggered the need to read the trilogy so that it would make sense. Ah, thirty-nine years old and still naive. The first book is engaging - I like the mystery/amesia aspects. But once answer start coming in - they don't make sense.

Oh well. I'm compulsive enough that I'll finish the trilogy (unless it just gets completely ridiculous). ( )
  suzannekmoses | May 20, 2022 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselman, DanExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reichler, MitchellAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey,
and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.
Teen must run through maze
To figure out his past and
Survive scary plot.
(legallypuzzled)

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,805,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible