dismiss

The Maze Runner (2009)

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (1)

10,934682427 (3.78)1 / 341
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12, wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: When I read this, it reminded me of an orchestrated Lord of the Flies.
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Running With the Wolves by J.E. Reed (paigemartin)
    paigemartin: The characters are placed in a foreign environment without an understanding of how they got there or who put them there. The battle to escape back to reality is filled with monsters and adventures that lead to an incredible amount of character development.… (more)
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    The Last Girl by Joe Hart (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    The Final Trade by Joe Hart (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (gaialover)
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Unknown by J. W. Lynne (Anonymous user)

English (667)  Spanish (6)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (678)
Definitely an absorbing page-turner but ultimately a bit too formulaic for my taste. I enjoyed it -- read in one sitting -- but I'm not eager to pick up the sequels. ( )
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |
Very intriguing! ( )
  aelizben | Jun 23, 2020 |
I don't know, man. I don't know! The word choices and characterisation in some parts were so jarring they made me laugh so hard and some plot elements don't seem very well placed (e.g. Teresa and her relationship with Thomas—where did that come from?), but... the world-building is pretty interesting, even if it reminds me a lot of Divergent's. ( )
  piquareste | Jun 3, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book, but there were a few week points. I've seen comparisons to the Hunger Games and I would say that is dead on. The characters were easy to like, though the main character did start to get a little annoying with the questions, but if I were in the same situation, I couldn't imagine I'd be different.

The reason I didn't give it five stars:

Come on...they are there for two years and never thought of comparing the different sections of the maze or overlaying them? The book really tries to get you to believe they are the "best of the best" yet they overlook something so simple? I just found that hard to swallow.

Other than that, I loved the book. If you want to start a good series (or least good Book 1 to a series), definitely read this book. On to Book 2! ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
This dystopian series is one of my favorites. It is an easy read with a good plot and is very well written.

The movie is similar to the books with a few minor changes to fit cinematography. The moment Thomas wakes up in a cage (first scene) the adventure has started. You could feel that there is tension between Thomas and Gally from the second they meet.

I highly recommend this book for anyone that loves dystopian books! Some parts of the book made me question the characters. You will love and hate each character as you read the story (although my personal favorite is Newt). ( )
  sarveshi | May 6, 2020 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselman, DanExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reichler, MitchellAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey,
and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape. (Novelist).
Teen must run through maze
To figure out his past and
Survive scary plot.
(legallypuzzled)

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,855,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible