Wool (2012)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Silo Series (1), Wool (omnibus 1-5)

An epic story of life, love and survival at all odds and one of the most-talked and anticipated books of the year. In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies. To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside. Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.… (more)
    Sand: Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey (gansadorf)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (KatyBee)
    Silo Saga: Greatfall: The Complete Silo Novel (Kindle Worlds) by Jason Gurley (crdf)
    Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder (hscherry)
    The Book of Koli by M. R. Carey (JessiAdams)
    JessiAdams: Both are books about young people discovering secrets about their post-apocalyptic dystopian society
    Level 7 by Mordecai Roshwald (HenriMoreaux)
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Snowpiercer, Volume 1: The Escape by Jacques Lob (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Many striking similarities in plot and world building.
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (debbiereads)
    The Martian by Andy Weir (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both of these successful novels were originally self-published
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (thenothing)
    thenothing: dystopia, conspiracy

English (316)  French (5)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (324)
I'm not exactly sure why, but I'd put off reading this book for awhile thinking that it was yet another YA book trying to cash in on Hunger Games. And while post-apocalpytic and distopic fiction are among my favorite genres, I was not in the mood for more teen romance angst.
So imagine my surprise to find out that, while this book might be appropriate for older teens that can handle F-bombs and a great deal of war-type violence, it's a story about adults, not teens. The romance angle is minimized, almost to the point of non-existence, and to sweeten the deal - the protagonist is a strong, smart, woman.
I really enjoyed learning about this world - some of which was new to the characters, as well, and I can't wait to start the next book.

Audiobook notes: The female narrator (Minnie Goode) did a fine job overall with the exception of some rather clumsy-sounding male voices. The audiobook had a 2-minute epilogue that I almost overlooked in the ebook. (It was after the author Q&A) ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
Section 1
@ author I'm at the end of part 1 and I have to say ty for not dragging out what happened to the sheriff! The cliffhanger would of caused it to be a page turner until I found out but #respect #grateful that you didn't write it that way!!

Section 3
ugh. post "Cheetos world" some of this is no fun to read.

Section 4
I had to skim the "action" scenes.

Section 5
reading and unfortunately doing lots of skimming since there are still lots of action scenes.
---------------

Done now. I didn't enjoy the last 2 parts. I liked the bones of it but not all the details. My brain wanted answers by then and some resolutions but the author was leaving me with too much action and details. I skimmed unless Juliette or her crush were in the scene. I won't be continuing on with the series. Not my reading preference but glad to know of and experience the story even if I'm way behind the mad rush. 2.5* ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
This was a fun read. If you have ever played the game "Fallout" and liked it, you will like this book. ( )
  Drunken-Otter | Aug 20, 2021 |
The Silo, a hundred and forty levels where people work, shop, play and live. It is home to hundreds and the only world they have ever known and all of it is underground. There is nothing else, no one else, just the death of outside and the knowledge that they are alone. They are the last people in the world.

It is forbidden to speak of the outside world, forbidden to question the laws of the Silo and those who do are punished, sentenced to eviction from the Silo and shown a horrifying truth, a beautiful lie. Strapped into suits, pockets filled with scrubbing brushes, they are cast out of the safety of the Silo and sent forth into a poisonous world. No one who has been cast out has failed to clean the sensors of the silo, gifting its residents a clearer view of the outside world. No one has failed to die moments later, only meters away from a freshly scrubbed view.

No one has ever voluntarily asked to become a cleaner, to willingly accept the death sentence that accompanies the opportunity to venture outside the Silo, at least that anyone can remember. Then in three years two people had asked, insisted, to be let outside. Despite choosing to leave, they too clean as the others had, and die as the others had. But what drew them to this decision will start a chain of events that will lead to the impossible, a person cast out who refuses to clean and instead of dying just walks away, disappearing from view.

No one sent out to clean has ever made it beyond the horizon, no one ever should. The repercussions for the Silo are disastrous and the only outcome is war. The people have been lied to long enough, they want the truth, they want a different sort of leadership, a new and better world. But those in power are better prepared, know what is coming and death is the only justice they believe in. While outside, beyond the horizon one person is learning just how deep the lies run, just how dangerous the world can be.

Wool is the story of the future, of people not set adrift on an ark but kept in the dark and buried deep within the earth. The hope for a brighter future being lost amongst the dirt and layers of lies, as the years pass over generations with no sunlight, no warmth and no illumination. As humanity strives for truth, for light, they find they are chocking within the confines of the earth, longing for colour, life and wide open spaces. A story that speaks to the nature of humanity, drawing you into an unimaginably frightening world that seems all to real, a future that is all too possible. A riveting story that should not be missed. ( )
  LarissaBookGirl | Aug 2, 2021 |
A post-apocalyptic novel, where the remaining people live in a "closed system," terms a Silo. While very highly rated, this book fell short for me. Many things not explained (e.g., how the planet got wrecked, who constructed the silos) and other things overly explained or described. To maintain order, people with questions are released on the surface, where they quickly die ("cleansed.") Society is stratified, with professionals at the top, followed by techies, farmers, with the mechanics in the basement. When the sheriff follows his wife being cleansed, his assistant and the Mayor, descend to recruit a creative, free-spirit mechanic (Juliette) as successor. While she is a solid character, she is inconsistent and needs support from others, especially a techie acquaintance. The villain Bernard is all about power and keeping secrets, but again we see little of his motivation.
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,405,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible