Wool by Hugh Howey

Wool (2012)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Silo Series (1), Wool (omnibus 1-5)

English (267)  French (5)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (275)
Darei piu' di tre stelline comunque non nego che la trilogia mi sia piaciuta, soprattutto il primo capitolo l'ho divorato.......il resto e' andato via scemando lasciandomi la sensazione di zavorra interminabile....,. alla fin fine il tutto si e' risollevato nella seconda parte dell'ultimo libro. E' interessante ma molto complesso il tema del potere e il controllo della vita dell'uomo in questa trilogia distopica...... in questo narrare però i personaggi non erano sempre credibili, spesso rimanevano lì abbozzati per poi essere dimenticati o ripresi dopo 800 pagine..... bellissimo però il personaggio di Juliette, sui cui gira tutta la narrazione della trilogia...
vi dico subito, non e' una lettura sempre fluida ed immediata però merita!!
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
vi dico subito, non e' una lettura sempre fluida ed immediata però merita!!
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
My first introduction to Hugh Howey was through the Apocalypse Triptych where I innocently thought I was reading a short story trilogy. Which I was. One that was set in a tremendous and fascinating world. Of course I picked up Wool and adored watching this part (and time) of the world, especially with the triptych in mind. tl;dr: I'm in for all the books set in this world. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Science fiction is not a genre that I have ever been into, but this book was good. Sometimes descriptions of certain events seemed to drag on a bit, which is the reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5. I will definitely be reading the other 2 books in this series.

Quotes:
-"Now she understood, if not the mystery of why all those sent out to clean actually did so, why a sad few would dare to volunteer for the duty. Better to join a ghost than to be haunted by them. Better no life than an empty one."

-"It was the same as color. You could describe a new color only in terms of hues previously seen. You could mix the known, but you couldn't create the strange out of nothing. So maybe it was only the cleaners who understood what it felt like to stand there, trembling - or perhaps not afraid one bit - as they waited for their death."

-"Walker was the one who had taught Scottie that it's always okay to admit when you don't know something. If you couldn't do this, you would never truly know anything." ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |
3.5 stars

I think it’s hard to give a summary for this one without giving too much away. It starts with Holston, whose wife, 3 years ago, was sent for a “cleaning”. Basically, she was suited up, and sent outside where she was meant to clean the cameras, and she never returns. It seems that anyone breaking the law is sent for a cleaning. There’s much more beyond this, but that’s where I don’t want to start giving things away.

It was good. There was a lot of tech stuff (mostly mechanical) that I wasn’t as interested in. But, it was definitely interesting and it picked up for me a little ways in, with the focus more on Juliette (except the mechanical stuff!). For some reason, I thought this was YA, but it’s not. I think I will continue the series (I read the Omnibus, which collected the 5 short stories, but there are apparently two more books beyond this one). ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 10, 2018 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. In a society full of regulations meant to protect the community, Sheriff Holston, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: he asks to go outside. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken....… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,219,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible