The Martian

by Andy Weir

Series: Mark Watney (1)

13,0541045335 (4.27)3 / 897
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?… (more)
    Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (fichtennadel)
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (sboyte)
    sboyte: One is fiction and one is nonfiction, but the subject matter is similar and I think both will appeal to anyone who enjoys science with a dash of humor.
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (timspalding)
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (rakerman)
    rakerman: In The Mysterious Island, a small group lands on an island with no technology other than a watch and proceed to rebuild Victorian industrial civilization. The scientific details of creating each new device and system are carefully described. In The Martian, similar care is taken to describe the modified systems and devices needed to sustain the astronaut on Mars.… (more)
    A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke (pnorth)
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Mr. Penumbra's reminded me in tone and its reverence for tech, geeks, and pop culture of both The Martian and Ready Player One.
    The Fated Sky by Mary Robinette Kowal (Aquila)
    The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Disaster hits and you have to engineer the impossible in a low-resource setting. In Kowal's book, it's getting a habitable off-world environment using 1950s tech before earth becomes unlivable. Highly recommended.
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    Voyage by Stephen Baxter (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Deux histoires autour du voyage vers Mars : comment y aller, et aussi comment en repartir. Problématiques scientifiques, difficultés d’ingénierie, et troubles politiques.
    Failure is not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Eugene Kranz (bertilak)
    How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems by Randall Munroe (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both are extensively researched, mathematically-grounded descriptions of kluged solutions to "real-world" problems by web comic authors with backgrounds in STEM careers.
    Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis (Anonymous user)
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    Apollo: The Race to the Moon by Charles Murray (lturpin42)
    Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (misericordia)
    misericordia: If you want to understand what a Steely Eyed Missile Man is, read Lost Moon.
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)
    Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir by Bryan Burrough (misericordia)
    misericordia: For more reference to how NASA really works read Dragonfly

English (1,024)  German (7)  French (4)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Turkish (1)  All languages (1,046)
A great book! Scientists reviewed it (Actual ones) and the only thing wrong with it: a storm on Mars. It would be a gust of wind. Anyway, a great book about how an astronaut is left behind because a storm hit, and he has to fight for his life when Mars (And his stupidity) repeatedly tries to kill him. Can he survive? ( )
  TheTrekkie | Jun 14, 2021 |

Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he’s alive - and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills - and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit - he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?
  Gmomaj | Jun 10, 2021 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, the dialog, and the emotional authenticity. I was delighted at how unexpectedly funny it was as well. I really had some good belly laughs out of it. However, if you're one of those folks who believes in mature and immature humor (specifically that you are too adult/sophisticated/not 12 for the later), you won't be amused.

You'll probably also feel unsatisfied if you want lots of in-depth pondering of the horrors of isolation. It's not there. Which completely makes sense to me, because the last thing you want to think about in an emergency situation is how innately horrifying the situation is. Dwelling leads to panic and despair.

While it is technically near future science fiction, The Martian reads much more like a thriller. It's a damn good thriller, but if you're looking for something to scratch the sci-fi itch, this may not be the right book.

On the downside, this is definitely a one time read for me. It's great, but the suspense is what makes it great. There's not much of that to be hand once you've read it once. In fact, I'm not particularly interested in the movie after reading it. I might watch it on Netflix when it hits, if I remember, but I won't pay to see it in the theater. On the other hand, I think it will make a fantastic movie if it's well done.

The other con for me is actually a pro for a lot of people - too much detailed science info. It read like a well written science textbook at times. I know some people love that, but it's not my thing. The hard sci-fi lovers should be pleased. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jun 4, 2021 |
Listened to this one as an audiobook, great for a long car ride.

As an engineer, I found the problem solving intriguing and entertaining. Enough details to make sense of what was going on and feel like I had some grasp of why what he was doing might work, not so much that it got boring. Good wry humor, some touching moments, and plenty of drama.

A few parts crossed some serious lines for credibility, but even that was good for the most part. Which can be hard to say about some books of this type. ( )
  jercox | Jun 2, 2021 |
I have to give The Martian four stars for the science. The amount of research that went into this book is stunning. Every detail is both thought through and explained, yet it's amazingly accessible. Only occasionally did the hard science get in the way of the story. It's funny, too, and suspenseful. I found that it dragged towards the end, despite the suspense, but overall it was an enjoyable read and I learned something about Mars. ( )
  JoMiles | May 30, 2021 |
The Martian is technically a “hard science fiction” book – a subgenre of science fiction so firmly rooted in science that the story wouldn’t work without it. And certainly, Weir’s first work is science-heavy; he even mentioned in an interview that the book was an exercise in whether he could make a fictional narrative out of the scientific premise of the novel. The answer, obviously, is “yes,” and The Martian is an intriguing exercise in the way that science itself can create plot.

Weir, Andyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Savic, NenadTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, EricCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

ebook Newton (Narrativa, 793)
For Mom
who calls me "Pickle,"
and Dad,
who calls me "Dude."
I'm pretty much fucked.
Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
I need to ask myself, "What would an Apollo astronaut do?" He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man, those guys were cool.
Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped.
As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.
Hurray for standardized valve systems!

In a desert-sea

With little chance to survive

He will overcome

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andy Weir's book The Martian was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,157,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible