dismiss

The Martian

by Andy Weir

Series: Mark Watney (1)

11,570962383 (4.27)3 / 875
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?… (more)
Recently added bypermario, Arina40, rmagahiz, Edward-C, private library, Nasenhaarzupfer, Oakfairy, patoliadixit, mburdette, Count_Zero
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (fichtennadel)
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (sboyte)
    sboyte: One is fiction and one is nonfiction, but the subject matter is similar and I think both will appeal to anyone who enjoys science with a dash of humor.
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (timspalding)
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (rakerman)
    rakerman: In The Mysterious Island, a small group lands on an island with no technology other than a watch and proceed to rebuild Victorian industrial civilization. The scientific details of creating each new device and system are carefully described. In The Martian, similar care is taken to describe the modified systems and devices needed to sustain the astronaut on Mars.… (more)
    A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke (pnorth)
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Mr. Penumbra's reminded me in tone and its reverence for tech, geeks, and pop culture of both The Martian and Ready Player One.
    The Fated Sky by Mary Robinette Kowal (Aquila)
    The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Disaster hits and you have to engineer the impossible in a low-resource setting. In Kowal's book, it's getting a habitable off-world environment using 1950s tech before earth becomes unlivable. Highly recommended.
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    Voyage by Stephen Baxter (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Deux histoires autour du voyage vers Mars : comment y aller, et aussi comment en repartir. Problématiques scientifiques, difficultés d’ingénierie, et troubles politiques.
    Failure is not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Eugene Kranz (bertilak)
    How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems by Randall Munroe (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both are extensively researched, mathematically-grounded descriptions of kluged solutions to "real-world" problems by web comic authors with backgrounds in STEM careers.
    Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis (Anonymous user)
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    Apollo: The Race to the Moon by Charles Murray (lturpin42)
    Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (misericordia)
    misericordia: If you want to understand what a Steely Eyed Missile Man is, read Lost Moon.
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (sturlington)
    sturlington: For geeking out
    Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir by Bryan Burrough (misericordia)
    misericordia: For more reference to how NASA really works read Dragonfly

English (937)  German (7)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Turkish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (959)
A fun read, though perhaps I just happen to fall into the geeky demographic the book is aimed at. I am impressed by the many ways the author dreamed up to make his protagonist suffer to the point of dying, along with the clever ways he had Watney extricate himself from each setback. It doesn't read as a cinematic treatment at all, with all the raw details of the technology (worked out by Weir using computer simulations he wrote) set out on the page, the number of potatoes the man had to keep from starving, the path of the ground loop that nearly destroyed his chances for coming home, facts and figures that might make another reader's eyes glaze over but which seemed to cement the realism for me. So if it's true that Hollywood is putting together a blockbuster project filming this, you might want to read the original if you enjoy that kind of stuff because they're bound to strip all of it out. ( )
  rmagahiz | Jul 9, 2020 |
(4.5 stars)

(From www.pingwings.ca)

I was really excited to read this book. I’d heard great things about it, and it seemed to combine two things I really like: science fiction and survival stories.

This book was, like, the ultimate survival story! Astronaut Mark Watney is stranded on Mars by his crew, who think he’s dead. From there, it’s one problem after another that he’s got to solve in order to stay alive. I was on the edge of my seat reading this, because I had no idea what was going to happen next and how, of if, Mark would survive.

There’s a lot of science in this book, and I personally had no idea while I was reading how accurate any of it was (not that it would interfere with my enjoyment at all), but it turns out that it’s all quite accurate. I loved how science-y this book was because it made everything feel so much more real. It also demonstrated how intelligent Mark was. He had to improvise and adapt constantly, and do it all without losing hope or his sanity.

I found this to be a super moving book as well, which kind of surprised me. I was very close to tears by the end, to be honest.

I don’t want to give anything away about the story. I read this not knowing any more than the synopsis, and I think that’s how everyone should go into it. And this is going to be a movie starring Matt Damon, coming out this November apparently, so if you want to make sure you read it before the movie comes out, you should get a move on! I can’t wait to see this on the big screen. I think this will make a great movie, and even though it takes place on Mars, I found that I could quite easily picture Mark’s story as I read.

The Martian was an exciting, moving story that I’ve been recommending to everyone since I finished reading it. This is definitely a must-read, not only for hard sci-fi fans, but for anyone who likes some action, adventure, and stories about trying to survive against all odds. ( )
  kimmypingwing | Jul 7, 2020 |
The premise is wonderful, but this novel has virtually no character development. It's a survival story (whiz-bang, what disaster will the protagonist over come next?). Watney doesn't change one but by the end -- exactly the same person that we started with. I kept thinking of Karen Thompson Walker's [b:The Age of Miracles|12401556|The Age of Miracles|Karen Thompson Walker|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342487370s/12401556.jpg|17382941], granted a very different book (the Earth begins to slow so what next?), Michel Faber's [b:The Book of Strange New Things|20697435|The Book of Strange New Things|Michel Faber|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1394824754s/20697435.jpg|28178740] (a man on a strange planet changes) or even Jeff Van Der Meer's Annihilation series. This book has a lot of whiz-bang (kudos to the author for accuracy) but not much else -- the kind of depth, world building and emotion that makes these other books stand apart. ( )
  MaximusStripus | Jul 7, 2020 |
“I bought this on a drunken whim” is a sentence that has immediately preceded many a relationship breakup. Not this time, though. I purchased The Martian from Amazon after having read numerous glowing reviews of it on Goodreads and quite a few beers. I then polished it off on a train ride to… somewhere. I don't remember where, only that it probably wasn't Mars. I do remember that I was somewhat down in the dumps at the start of that train ride, and by the end of it I was not only chirpy but positively fired up to go do some science. This is a useful frame of mind for me, given that's my job.

Rather than go into the many merits of Andy Weir's book I'll finish the review using the medium of Mars-based webcomics. Immediately before reading The Martian I was sad. Just like I am every time I finish reading this xkcd. By the end I was happy. Just like I am when I read this comic. ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |

Rendfleisch, ElizabethDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, EricCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

ebook Newton (Narrativa, 793)
For Mom
who calls me "Pickle,"
and Dad,
who calls me "Dude."
I'm pretty much fucked.
Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
I need to ask myself, "What would an Apollo astronaut do?" He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man, those guys were cool.
Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped.
As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.
Hurray for standardized valve systems!

A MISSION TO MARS.

A FREAK ACCIDENT.

ONE MAN'S STRUGGLE TO SURVIVE.

Now he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars, completely alone, with no way to signal Earth that he's alive. And even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone years before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, Mark won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain, old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark's not ready to quit. Armed with nothing but his ingenuity and his engineering skills — and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strength — he embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive, using his botany expertise to grow food and even hatching a mad plan to contact NASA back on Earth.

As he overcomes one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next, Mark begins to let himself believe he might make it off the planet alive.

But Mars has plenty of surprises in store for him yet.

Grounded in real, present-day science from the first page to the last, yet propelled by a brilliantly ingenious plot that surprises the reader again and again, The Martian is a truly remarkable thriller — an impossible to put down suspense novel that manages to read like a real-life survival tale.

In a desert-sea

With little chance to survive

He will overcome

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andy Weir's book The Martian was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

5 1949

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,869,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible