The Martian by Andy Weir

The Martian (2011)

by Andy Weir

Series: Mark Watney (1)

9,937864445 (4.27)3 / 832
    Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (fichtennadel)
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (sboyte)
    sboyte: One is fiction and one is nonfiction, but the subject matter is similar and I think both will appeal to anyone who enjoys science with a dash of humor.
    A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke (pnorth)
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (timspalding)
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (rakerman)
    rakerman: In The Mysterious Island, a small group lands on an island with no technology other than a watch and proceed to rebuild Victorian industrial civilization. The scientific details of creating each new device and system are carefully described. In The Martian, similar care is taken to describe the modified systems and devices needed to sustain the astronaut on Mars.… (more)
    Failure is not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Eugene Kranz (bertilak)
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Mr. Penumbra's reminded me in tone and its reverence for tech, geeks, and pop culture of both The Martian and Ready Player One.
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    Voyage by Stephen Baxter (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Deux histoires autour du voyage vers Mars : comment y aller, et aussi comment en repartir. Problématiques scientifiques, difficultés d’ingénierie, et troubles politiques.
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis (Anonymous user)
    Apollo: The Race to the Moon by Charles Murray (lturpin42)
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (misericordia)
    misericordia: If you want to understand what a Steely Eyed Missile Man is, read Lost Moon.
    The Fated Sky: A Lady Astronaut Novel by Mary Robinette Kowal (Aquila)
    Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir by Bryan Burrough (misericordia)
    misericordia: For more reference to how NASA really works read Dragonfly
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (sturlington)
    sturlington: For geeking out
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)

English (864)  German (8)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Turkish (1)  All languages (886)
I liked it, obviously I liked it, I gave it 4 stars! I can see where people are coming from when they complain about either the heavy tech speak in parts, or the voice of the character being a bit "whiney 17 year old" rather than mature adult astronaut. I concede those points. However, it was engaging enough to make up for them and deliver a quite enjoyable read. I stayed up until 1:15 in the morning finishing it.

It's a hard book to put down.

Upon reread I still loved it. I love the humor and the determination. And, I’m not smart enough to question the science. :D ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
This is by far one of my favorite books of all time and for once the movie did it justice! The unconfined wit, humor and foul language will keep you laughing for days on end. Forgetting the humor this book is still amazing after the amount of research Andy Weir put into this. If money allowed everything in this book would be possible. It is so incredibly insane that according to studies done by NASA mars rovers that potatoes could be grown in martian soil under the right conditions. I would highly recommend this book, but the only warning I have is that this is not for the thin skinned. This book does not shy away from cursing whatsoever. ( )
  ams120475 | Jun 10, 2019 |
I literally cannot recommend this book highly enough. It was so engaging, cleverly written, witty, and just plain hopeful that it was an absolute joy to read from beginning to end. I want to buy like 50 copies and just give them out to everyone I know. ( )
  irasobrietate | Jun 4, 2019 |
In the trailer for the movie, Matt Damon says, "I'm going to science the shit out of this." It's not a direct quote from the book, but it should be. This is a story about sciencing the shit out of a terrible situation. Mark's ingenuity, stubbornness, and drive to survive is incredible. The book also takes a ton of science and makes it incredibly interesting.

That being said, it isn't perfect. Mark is a gem, but the other characters are sketched very broadly. Mark's teammates suffer most here, reduced to one or two characteristics. There were several science-y things that I couldn't even visualize, and were consequently impossible to understand. I also wanted more from this book. Mark spends over a year on Mars, and it's science the entire time. I don't expect him to be Ray Bradbury, but there's no introspection, no deeper insight.

For a novel about sciencing the shit out of a situation, it's a damn good novel. But it could be better. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
McGyver su Marte! Più o meno. ^_^
Bello, ora voglio gustarmi il film però! Grazie a chi me l'ha consigliato ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |

who calls me "Pickle,"
and Dad,
who calls me "Dude."
I'm pretty much fucked.
Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
I need to ask myself, "What would an Apollo astronaut do?" He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man, those guys were cool.
Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped.
As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.
Hurray for standardized valve systems!
A MISSION TO MARS.

A FREAK ACCIDENT.

ONE MAN'S STRUGGLE TO SURVIVE.

Now he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars, completely alone, with no way to signal Earth that he's alive. And even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone years before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, Mark won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain, old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark's not ready to quit. Armed with nothing but his ingenuity and his engineering skills — and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strength — he embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive, using his botany expertise to grow food and even hatching a mad plan to contact NASA back on Earth.

As he overcomes one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next, Mark begins to let himself believe he might make it off the planet alive.

But Mars has plenty of surprises in store for him yet.

Grounded in real, present-day science from the first page to the last, yet propelled by a brilliantly ingenious plot that surprises the reader again and again, The Martian is a truly remarkable thriller — an impossible to put down suspense novel that manages to read like a real-life survival tale.

In a desert-sea

With little chance to survive

He will overcome

"Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old 'human error' are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andy Weir's book The Martian was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,551,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible