The Martian

by Andy Weir

Series: Mark Watney (1)

14,5551119312 (4.28)3 / 949
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?… (more)
    Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (fichtennadel)
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (sboyte)
    sboyte: One is fiction and one is nonfiction, but the subject matter is similar and I think both will appeal to anyone who enjoys science with a dash of humor.
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (timspalding)
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (rakerman)
    rakerman: In The Mysterious Island, a small group lands on an island with no technology other than a watch and proceed to rebuild Victorian industrial civilization. The scientific details of creating each new device and system are carefully described. In The Martian, similar care is taken to describe the modified systems and devices needed to sustain the astronaut on Mars.… (more)
    A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke (pnorth)
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Mr. Penumbra's reminded me in tone and its reverence for tech, geeks, and pop culture of both The Martian and Ready Player One.
    The Fated Sky by Mary Robinette Kowal (Aquila)
    The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Disaster hits and you have to engineer the impossible in a low-resource setting. In Kowal's book, it's getting a habitable off-world environment using 1950s tech before earth becomes unlivable. Highly recommended.
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    Voyage by Stephen Baxter (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Deux histoires autour du voyage vers Mars : comment y aller, et aussi comment en repartir. Problématiques scientifiques, difficultés d’ingénierie, et troubles politiques.
    Failure is not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Eugene Kranz (bertilak)
    How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems by Randall Munroe (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both are extensively researched, mathematically-grounded descriptions of kluged solutions to "real-world" problems by web comic authors with backgrounds in STEM careers.
    Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis (Anonymous user)
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    Apollo: The Race to the Moon by Charles Murray (lturpin42)
    Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (misericordia)
    misericordia: If you want to understand what a Steely Eyed Missile Man is, read Lost Moon.
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)
    Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir by Bryan Burrough (misericordia)
    misericordia: For more reference to how NASA really works read Dragonfly

English (1,101)  German (6)  French (5)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Turkish (1)  All languages (1,123)
Mycket spännande, men dudebro-humorn blev väldigt tröttsam i längden. ( )
  kattriarkatet | Jun 21, 2022 |
I absolutely loved [b:Project Hail Mary|54493401|Project Hail Mary|Andy Weir|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1597695864l/54493401._SY75_.jpg|79106958] and, considering the hype around “The Martian”, I was very excited about this book.
I’ve started the book convinced it was going to be a 5 star reading, decreased it to a 4 star and now I’m torn between 3 and 4 stars. Don’t get me wrong, this is a very good book, Andy Weir does a brilliant job explaining science to non-scientists while keeping everyone engaged on the story and its characters. I just wished I have read this book before Hail Mary as the last one leaves the bar too high.

What I liked:
- Andy Weir writing is interesting and captivating and reaches a good compromise between simple and interesting
- Watney - He is such a nice and funny guy that it is impossible not to cheer for him

What I didn’t like:
- The remaining characters felt a bit one dimensional and I didn’t care for most of them.
- I would have enjoyed a more frequent change of POV/ location. I think the book was written this way to enhance how lonely Mark Watney was. However, more than lonely, sometimes I’ve felt a little bored as well and wanted to know more about what was going on on Hermes and earth.
- Nothing can ever go right for Mark. Close to the 80% mark I was convinced the story was solving and then I’ve noticed I still had 2 hours of reading to do, which lead me to conclude that at least 5 more problems would occur, and 3 of them would be life threatening. Can´t you give the guy a break? Luckily Mark Sue is a very smart botanist and engineer, has quick reflexes and has a lot of tape and HAB canvas. Macgyver could not have done it better.

This is an interesting book and deserves attention, I just prefered Hail Mary which is absolutely brilliant. I will now watch the movie as I can´t imagine a better choice for Mark as Matt Damon. ( )
  Sara_Machado | Jun 7, 2022 |
Exciting, intense, exhilarating and scary. Pick this one up. It's a Don't Miss! ( )
  Carmentalie | Jun 4, 2022 |
Audio thoroughly entertaining. ( )
  mtummeti | Jun 1, 2022 |
thoroughly enjoyable story about a marooned astronaut, and how he attempts to find his way home ( )
  travelgirl-fics | May 23, 2022 |
The Martian is technically a “hard science fiction” book – a subgenre of science fiction so firmly rooted in science that the story wouldn’t work without it. And certainly, Weir’s first work is science-heavy; he even mentioned in an interview that the book was an exercise in whether he could make a fictional narrative out of the scientific premise of the novel. The answer, obviously, is “yes,” and The Martian is an intriguing exercise in the way that science itself can create plot.

Weir, Andyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, EricCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

ebook Newton (Narrativa, 793)
Heyne (31691)
For Mom
who calls me "Pickle,"
and Dad,
who calls me "Dude."
I'm pretty much fucked.
Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
I need to ask myself, "What would an Apollo astronaut do?" He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man, those guys were cool.
Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped.
As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.
Hurray for standardized valve systems!

In a desert-sea

With little chance to survive

He will overcome

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andy Weir's book The Martian was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,698,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible