The Martian by Andy Weir

The Martian (2011)

by Andy Weir

Series: Mark Watney (1)

9,180820492 (4.26)3 / 812
    Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (fichtennadel)
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (sboyte)
    sboyte: One is fiction and one is nonfiction, but the subject matter is similar and I think both will appeal to anyone who enjoys science with a dash of humor.
    A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke (pnorth)
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (timspalding)
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (rakerman)
    rakerman: In The Mysterious Island, a small group lands on an island with no technology other than a watch and proceed to rebuild Victorian industrial civilization. The scientific details of creating each new device and system are carefully described. In The Martian, similar care is taken to describe the modified systems and devices needed to sustain the astronaut on Mars.… (more)
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    Failure is not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Eugene Kranz (bertilak)
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    Voyage by Stephen Baxter (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Deux histoires autour du voyage vers Mars : comment y aller, et aussi comment en repartir. Problématiques scientifiques, difficultés d’ingénierie, et troubles politiques.
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Mr. Penumbra's reminded me in tone and its reverence for tech, geeks, and pop culture of both The Martian and Ready Player One.
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis (Anonymous user)
    Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (misericordia)
    misericordia: If you want to understand what a Steely Eyed Missile Man is, read Lost Moon.
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    Apollo: The Race to the Moon by Charles Murray (lturpin42)
    Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir by Bryan Burrough (misericordia)
    misericordia: For more reference to how NASA really works read Dragonfly
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)

English (821)  German (7)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Turkish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (839)
A fun read, though I knew basically what would happen since I've seen the movie. I preferred the scenes on earth/among the rest of the crew to Mark Watney's monologues, but occasionally his snark got a chuckle from me. The problem solving was creative and all the engineering/science was believable, so that's a plus. Watney's direct message to one of his female crewmates (about halfway through the book) was some jarring sexism I didn't need, though. ( )
  jrogoff | Sep 22, 2018 |
This was more entertaining than I expected, given the copious amount of technical detail. So much so that I started skimming a lot of those parts. Seriously, lots of tech, science, and a buttload of undefined TLAs (three letter acronyms). See what I did there, actually explaining what the acronym means? Doesn't happen in the book, you're left to figure them out yourself.

The story starts off gripping. Then the humor engages and hooks you in. Eventually, the humor points to a problem--the characters are too one-dimensional. Mark Watney is marooned on Mars, but does he let that get him down? No! Not once does he show any real anxiety or fear. He laughs in the face of danger, ha ha ha ha! More danger, ha ha ha again! Which eventually is just unbelievable. Odd that it keeps getting compared to Castaway, and yet has none of the emotional depth of that. I suppose that could have quickly gotten in the way, but it's erred on the side of too little. An example: Watney goes through his former crewmembers' things to get the entertainments they brought, like books and movies. What did Watney bring? That's never mentioned. At all. It's almost like a hint that he's not really there or not really human. Or he's so everyman that he has no identity of his own.

All that said, it was a little bit of fun. Though I wish I'd caught it on sale, because I don't anticipate wanting to reread it much, if ever. ( )
  jjLitke | Sep 21, 2018 |
Mark Watney is one of the six members of the Ares 3 mission--one of just eighteen human beings who have walked on Mars. They're supposed to be there thirty-one days, until things go horribly wrong. After just six Martian days on the surface, a sandstorm hits and causes a series of disastrous equipment failures. Mark is struck by flying debris, lost in the sandstorm, and his telemetry flatlines; he's dead.

With their lift vehicle tilting and in danger of being toppled and wrecked, Commander Lewis makes the incredibly difficult decision to save the rest of the crew and not attempt to recover his body.

But Mark is alive; it's the transmitter that failed. And thus begins his battle of wits against Mars to remain alive and find a way to get to the landing site of the next Mars mission in time to be rescued.

It's months before NASA knows he's alive. It's longer before they can established contact. And Mark has to solve a lot of problems on his own in order to stay alive more than a year and a half before NASA can even hope to get supplies to him to keep him alive to be rescued by Ares 4. He is, among other things, the first Martian farmer.

Mark is likable, resilient, and funny. Every time he quite legitimately thinks he's failed and is going to die, he picks himself up and starts working on the new problem. Mars is a tough opponent, and there is no point at which the harsh environment can't find a way to make Mark's situation go completely pear-shaped.

The story-telling style is the clean, crisp prose of the best 20th century hard sf, with a viewpoint set firmly in the 21st century. The view of humanity is positive without being pollyanna-ish. Not for anyone who thinks either dystopia or pointlessness is the height of literary art, but for everyone else, this is a fantastic read.

Highly recommended.

I bought this book. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
This book should be boring but it isn't. A guy juryrigs his equipment while trying to stay alive on Mars. That's most of the book. We also get other people using equipment trying to communicate and rescue him. That's pretty much the entire plot, and there is no character development at all. But somehow I got totally sucked into all the dangerous juryrigging struggles and really enjoyed the read. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
The Martian is a celebration of human (or is that American?) ingenuity. Astronaut Mark Watley gets left behind by his space mission to Mars, and he has to perform all kinds of clever scientific and engineering feats to stay alive in the face of a hostile landscape and under the threat of starvation. Considering everything he's up against, he manages quite well. Meanwhile, the experts at NASA struggle with plans to refresh his supplies and bring him home alive.

I enjoyed The Martian more than I thought I would. Watley is filled with "can-do" spirit and never gives in to despair, as would a real person in his situation. There's lots of science and space flight jargon in this book, but it doesn't becomes too unwieldy or incomprehensible. Recommended for those who wonder what it would be like to be a modern-day Robinson Caruso in the most inhospitable of territories. ( )
  akblanchard | Sep 10, 2018 |

who calls me "Pickle,"
and Dad,
who calls me "Dude."
I'm pretty much fucked.
Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
I need to ask myself, "What would an Apollo astronaut do?" He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man, those guys were cool.
Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped.
As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.
Hurray for standardized valve systems!
A MISSION TO MARS.

A FREAK ACCIDENT.

ONE MAN'S STRUGGLE TO SURVIVE.

Now he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars, completely alone, with no way to signal Earth that he's alive. And even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone years before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, Mark won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain, old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark's not ready to quit. Armed with nothing but his ingenuity and his engineering skills — and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strength — he embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive, using his botany expertise to grow food and even hatching a mad plan to contact NASA back on Earth.

As he overcomes one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next, Mark begins to let himself believe he might make it off the planet alive.

But Mars has plenty of surprises in store for him yet.

Grounded in real, present-day science from the first page to the last, yet propelled by a brilliantly ingenious plot that surprises the reader again and again, The Martian is a truly remarkable thriller — an impossible to put down suspense novel that manages to read like a real-life survival tale.

In a desert-sea

With little chance to survive

He will overcome

"Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old 'human error' are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andy Weir's book The Martian was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,972,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible