Leviathan Wakes

by James S. A. Corey

Series: The Expanse (1)

4,6792581,767 (4.02)1 / 245
When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motives behind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)
    The Martian by Andy Weir (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian are set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)
    Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (g33kgrrl)
    Seeds of Earth by Michael Cobley (binarydude)
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)
    Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler (Sandwich76)
    Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh (Mav.Weirdo)
    Perdido Street Station by China Miéville (Sandwich76)

English (254)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (258)
Fantastic science fiction. ( )
  Teuthex | Jun 24, 2021 |
Damn. I was expecting some light space opera to help me kill time. I wasn’t prepared for superb writing that would put Tolstoy to shame.

“The beautiful thing about losing your illusions, he thought, was that you got to stop pretending. All the years he’d told himself that he was respected, that he was good at his job, that all his sacrifices had been made for a reason fell away and left him with the clear, unmuddied knowledge that he was a functional alcoholic who had pared away everything good in his own life to make room for anesthetic.” ( )
  marzagao | Jun 1, 2021 |
I found it really refreshing to encounter a Sci-Fi story that felt so new. Taking place in a near-ish future, it has a plausible amount of cultural shift compared to the present. Mars has domed cities and the asteroid belt is a Wild West of small settlements, but in the world of Leviathan Wakes humans are solidly limited to much-slower-than-light travel.

There are a two plot-lines running through this book; a story of political intrigue featuring a space cowboy and a mystery starring a Noire detective. They intersect in the prologue, and again later on, in a way that owes a great deal to the "Alien" film franchise.

In spite of being the first book in a series, I felt like this story stood very well on its own. I'm going to jump straight into the sequel because I'm hooked, but if there were no sequels to come I'd still recommend "Leviathan Wakes". ( )
  wishanem | May 27, 2021 |
Great summer read for a science fiction lover, but I did have the feeling that I had read it before. Despite this I did enjoy it. Although you can just read this book and be happy it is definitely set up for a follow up book. ( )
  klrabbit58 | May 3, 2021 |
It often takes me a while to engage with a new science fiction series, but this one sucked me in immediately. The dash of horror Corey built this book with, alongside stupendous characters who felt I could keep reading about forever, made the book one of the most engaging sci-fi works I think I've ever come across. If not for the size of the book tiring out my wrist, I suspect I would have finished it far sooner, but savoring it over the last few weeks was such a pleasure that I can't wait to dive into the next book. Corey's writing is fast, smart, and powerful, and the characters and world are fantastic. If you like space opera that's more character-based than universe-based, and sci-fi with just a bit of horror thrown in, you'll love this.

Absolutely recommended. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Apr 30, 2021 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cresti, Stefano AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mays, JeffersonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,225,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible