Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

Leviathan Wakes

by James S. A. Corey

Other authors: Daniel Abraham (Author), Ty Franck (Author)

Series: The Expanse (1)

The Martian by Andy Weir (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian are set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)
    Seeds of Earth by Michael Cobley (binarydude)
    Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler (Sandwich76)
    Perdido Street Station by China Miéville (Sandwich76)
    Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh (Mav.Weirdo)
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)
    Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (g33kgrrl)

English (181)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (185)
A lot has already been said about Leviathan Wakes, I mean it’s hard to sway people when a book has been made into a successful TV series. Let me just say that I enjoyed the book, but I found it was probably longer than it needed to be. The pacing was slow, and even as the story was reaching it’s conclusion I just wanted it to be over. I was getting tired of all of the inner dialog, angst, and deep thoughts of Holden and Miller. I also feel that the producers of The Expanse television series got things better by giving the TV viewer more points of view to follow. Since the book only follows the events from Holden’s and Miller’s perspective I was left wanting to know more about the other characters. Holden and Miller are good characters, and the way that their stories contrast and complement each other was well done, but my exposure to the TV series first left me wanting to know more about Naomi, Alex, and Amos. I personally thought this limited the story, but to add them in a lot of the current material about Holden and Miller would need to be cut otherwise the book would have been twice as long.

I listened to the audiobook version and the production for it was well done, other than one slip in calling the book “Leviathan Awakes” rather than “Wakes”. Even though I have watched The Expanse before listening to the book Jefferson Mays did a good job giving voice to the characters so I heard his take and interpretation, rather than the actors from the TV series. I especially liked the drawl he gives Alex.

A good book, and worth reading if you want to know what all the excitement about The Expanse is about, but I would have preferred a faster-paced story. ( )
  GeoffHabiger | Apr 12, 2019 |
A strong 7/10. While the middle had some of the most frustrating character writing and plot, it eventually had me reading as fast as I could to see how it ended. The world-building was probably the most interesting aspect. Most disappointing were some character beats, like Miller, who needed to be obsessed with Julie for the story to end how it did, but his motivation was just not that believable. I'm kind of split on whether to read another one. The idea of a 9-book long series is a bit nauseating to me... ( )
  jakebornheimer | Mar 27, 2019 |
Well sort of a review. I've had this sitting in my currently reading well after I finished it, mulling over what to say.

It's a damn good book and excellent science fiction. The basis of the tv series The Expanse -- which I have not watched and want to read further in series before starting.

Two things had it languishing on the TBR pile for quite a while -- wasn't sure how dark/horror it was (partly from seeing tv series trailers) and the number of POVs.

It's not horror in the sense of slasher films and the type of science fiction where there's some mutant something or unexplained monster showing up. It is intense and there is violence and death -- but not what I'd consider horror.

The point of view changes surprisingly did not bother me; well handled and well written. I am very curious how that's handled in the tv series with so much of what makes this book what the characters are thinking.

The type of juicy worldbuilding I enjoy without boring infodumps and lectures.

Definitely continuing the series. ( )
  Spurts | Mar 22, 2019 |
Ich.liebe.Weltraum-Opern! Einself! Was für ein gigantisches Buch. Es gibt einfach alles. Helden, Antihelden, Aliens, politische Intrigen, wirtschaftliche Gier und gigantische Technik.

Ich mochte das Buch kaum weglegen und hab die 600 Seiten oder was es sind auch relativ schnell durchgelesen. Um es in einem Wort zusammenzufassen: episch!

Wir folgen Jim Holden, XO an Bord eines Tankerraumschiffs. Er soll ein havariertes Schiff inspizieren. (ehrlich mal, allein die Beschreibung der Technik an diesem Punkt ist der Wahnsinn. Ein großes Schiff anhalten im All? Beschleunigungskräfte und ihre Auswirkungen auf den menschlichen Organismus? Einfach nur, WOW! Harald Lesch würde wahrscheinlich zwar immer noch skeptisch dreinblicken, aber nicht ganz so sehr wie bei StarTrek und seinen Trägheitsdämpfern *hüstel*) Anyway….sie inspizieren das Schiff und während sie das tun, taucht ein fremdes Schiff auf und zerstört den Tanker, mit dem sie eigentlich unterwegs waren. Schwupps, sind die Figuren auf eine Gruppe von 5 reduziert. Und damit gehts dann eigentlich auch schon so richtig los.

Zeitgleich folgen wir Detective Miller auf Ceres, einer Station in einem Asteroiden. Er erhält den Auftrag, die Tochter einer reichen Familie zu finden und „zurückzubringen“, sprich zu entführen, da das Mädel längst erwachsen ist und sich mit ihrer Familie überworfen hat. Bei seiner Suche stellt er sich allerdings zu gut an und landet schnell mitten in der Geschichte. Was man als Leser natürlich erst so nach und nach erfährt. Dass die verschwundene junge Frau und das havarierte Schiff zusammenhängen ahnt man schnell, aber wie, das verraten die beiden Autoren erst so nach und nach.

Besonders gut gefallen hat mir hier der Konflikt zwischen den einzelnen, hm, Rassen ist ein falsches Wort…. man denkt im Buch in den Kategorien „Gürtler“ (Menschen, die auf den besiedelten Stationen und Asteroiden geboren und aufgewachsen sind) und den „Erdler“ (Menschen, die auf der Erde geboren und aufgewachsen sind). Dabei unterscheiden sie sich physisch stark von einander, weil Menschen, die unter normalen Gravitationsbedingungen aufgewachsen sind, sich ganz anders entwickelt haben, als Menschen, die unter niedrigerer Schwerkraft aufgewachsen sind.

Zusätzlich dazu gibt es noch die Marsianer, sprich Menschen vom Mars und ganz in typischer Politikmanier sind sich diese drei Parteien immer mal mehr oder weniger spinnefeind.

Und während Holden auf der Flucht ist, Miller das Mädchen Julie sucht, der Mars und der Gürtel kurz vor einem Krieg stehen, werden die einzelnen Handlungsstränge immer mehr miteinander verwoben und ergeben ein Science-Fiction-Bild von epischem Ausmaß.

Fazit
Ich bin immer noch von den Socken und muss die anderen Bände auch unbedingt lesen, so begeistert bin ich. Es war spannend bis zum Schluss. Absolute Lese-Empfehlung für Fans von epischem Science Fiction! ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
Really pleased with this book. I've had it on my shelf since 2016-2017 and finally got around to reading it. I'm thankful I picked up the next two books right away so I don't have to wait to keep reading. Definitely for fans of something like the Mass Effect franchise. ( )
  Lahkesis | Mar 16, 2019 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,115,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible