Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

Leviathan Wakes

by James S. A. Corey

Other authors: Daniel Abraham (Author), Ty Franck (Author)

Series: The Expanse (1)

Recently added byRyhull, James.Igoe, mkjones, KCV, foullows, MommaTracey, private library, pugpapa35, Ellesee, reformedpirate
    The Martian by Andy Weir (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian are set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)
    Seeds of Earth by Michael Cobley (binarydude)
    Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh (Mav.Weirdo)
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)

English (136)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All (140)
Woah...wow...huh

Mind is still reeling from the last few chapters. That was a twist I should have expected.

Great character development. Probably some of the best I've read. Dialogue is amazing, too much cussing, but some great sentences, comebacks, putdowns and one liners!

"Hey, can we have a ride too?" Holden said mockingly with a Ceres accent. "Uh, no, we need you guys to stay here and, uh, keep an eye on things, which we promise will be totally safe and absolutely not involve you turning into vomit zombies."

Highly recommended ( )
  MommaTracey | Jul 24, 2017 |
Leviathan Wakes had been languishing on my TBR pile for at least a year before I picked it up for a read along. And I’m glad I finally got to it. While it has room to be improved, Leviathan Wakes is a darn good, rollicking science fiction story.

Several hundred years in the future, humanity has expanded to fill the solar system. Yet tensions grow between Earth, Mars, and the Belters — people who’ve spent their entire life never setting foot on a planet. James Holden’s, the XO of an ice mining ship, responds to a distress call from a spaceship named the Scopuli. They inadvertently stumble onto the biggest secret of the solar system and add fuel to the fire for the brewing war. Detective Miller is hired to find a missing girl, and his path also takes him to the Scopuli, the ship whose secrets may determine the fate of the galaxy.

It took a while for Leviathan Wakes to hook me, but when it did, I wished I didn’t have to put the book down! The plotting is wonderful, full of twists and turns I never saw coming. There’s some truly great ideas that make for a compelling story.

I also loved the world building. Leviathan Wakes is one of the few stories I’ve read that looks at the intermediary ground between humanity leaving Earth and humanity leaving our star. The result is a sci-fi universe that’s recognizably derived from ours but with enough differences that it does feel like it’s set in the future. There’s a certain grittiness to the setting that makes me want to call it “hard science fiction,” but I don’t know enough about the accuracy of the science in the book to debate the point.

However, I wasn’t as fond of the characters. Neither Miller or Holden ever really worked for me. They just felt like walking tropes! Miller’s the noir detective whose got a drinking problem, an ex-wife, and some questionable moral behavior. Holden’s the golden boy space captain, determined to do the right thing and save the galaxy. The characters were most effective when the differences in their archetypes where played off, but they never felt like fully developed characters. I also wish the cast weren’t so male dominated and that Naomi wasn’t the only significant female character. I’m positive this book fails the Bechdel test.

Ultimately, what Leviathan Wakes lacked in characterization, it made up for in plot and world building. I look forward to reading the sequel, especially since I’ve been assured that it improves in regards to female characters.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jul 9, 2017 |
Fun read. Space stations with zombies. Detective Novel. ( )
  brian4100laffin | Jul 6, 2017 |
Space opera. Not on the largest scales, it's hard sf so no ftl, which traps us in our own solar system. Humanity has left earth and established colonies on Mars and in the Belts. Initially mining communities, but they, grow, as humans have a habit of doing. And now it's a mix of Belters and Martians, and the vast populace of Earth who try not to interfere too much provided their goods keep arriving (it does have a feel of CJC's early Company Wars). But this author has gone in a different direction - a company mining the moons out by Saturn has come across an alien artifcat. We follow a couple of people as the ramifications spread through the system.

There's a belter cop, security of the station essentials - air, water and integrity before all else. Proper noir stuff divorced, drinks too much etc. but knows what's important, how to get the job done, and when to turn a blind eye. The other's XO on a water hauler, unglamorous, but it' still flying. He's got a good crew, of the sort of misfit's you'd expect, and a sense of honour and justice that landed him there in the first place. His crew somewhat strangely like him for this. When their hauler is the nearest to a distress beacon that's gone off, it's his job to investigate, and from then on it's much more hectic than he ever thought life could get - but it doesn't shake his sense of devotion to letting other people make their own decisions.

I liked the alien concept, it made sense in a way that it's difficult for hard sf authors to do. I think the corporate greed angle was massively over done, and similar results could have been achieved on a more reasonable scale. but it's well written, well plotted and going to be an interesting series - providing the hyperbole can be kept in check. ( )
  reading_fox | Jun 30, 2017 |
Science fiction with a mystery set in space. EFfortlessly diverse as it is entertaining. Loved this. ( )
  LiteraryPassport | Jun 27, 2017 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,205,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible