Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch) by Ann…

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch)

by Ann Leckie

Series: Imperial Radch (1)

3,0462312,665 (3.97)1 / 470
    Ghost Spin by Chris Moriarty (libron)
    libron: Ancillary Justice is great - but for a nuanced, riveting treatment of AI, Moriarty has her beat, hands down. I hope to see more rigorous explorations in future of what Leckie has limned in her first outing.
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (lquilter)
    lquilter: Fans of either Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness or Leckie's Ancillary Justice should enjoy the other. In common, the pacing, character-centered perspective obscuring aspects of the universe, political machinations, far-future setting, and treatment of ethics; also interesting for its simultaneous foregrounding and backgrounding of gender.… (more)
    Ring of Swords by Eleanor Arnason (libron)
    libron: Arnason's depiction of an alternative (alien) gender/social structure is awesome. I hope Leckie can flesh her own ideas out further beyond pronoun ambiguity in forthcoming books.
    The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (electronicmemory)
    Embassytown by China Miéville (electronicmemory)
    Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Leckie has said that Cherryh's Foreigner books were a big influence on Ancillary Justice and sequels
    A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Some of the dynamics in Leckie's Ancillary Justice remind me of the much more obscure single-volume space opera Wright's A Matter of Oaths about two warring immortal emperors and a protagonist with a mysterious connection to them- if you like one, you may like the other.… (more)
    Fool's War by Sarah Zettel (Dilara86)
    Dilara86: Sentient AIs and spaceships
    The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Utterly different in tone, this also features the "mind" of a ship and the people she interacts with.
    The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer (dClauzel)
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (g33kgrrl)
    Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (souloftherose)

English (237)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (239)
Okay, I need a break from reviewing this year's disappointing Hugo nominees.

Ancillary Justice is last year's Best Novel Hugo winner, and it's exactly the kind of story, the Sad Puppies say they want. Action, adventure, space ships, strong characters, and fun to read.

Breq is, when we meet her, the sole surviving segment of the Radch troop carrier Justice of Torren. We don't realize at first that she used to be the AI operating the entire ship and all its ancillaries. She's on a very personal mission. In alternating sections we follow her current quest, and the events nineteen years ago that sent her on it.

Breq, formerly troop carrier Justice of Torren, seeks revenge for the destruction of the main part of herself, and the murder of a favorite lieutenant, Lieutenant Awn, whose failing was not to be inefficient, unreliable, or disloyal, but to be very capable and completely loyal, in the midst of a hidden power struggle within the ruler she was loyal to.

Radch culture is fascinating, complex, and has both delightful and horrifying features. They do not consider gender significant at all; their pronouns do not distinguish gender. Breq has problems in other cultures, needing to use correct, gendered pronouns, and being confused and frustrated by the way gender signals vary so much from place to place. In the absence of a need to conform to the customs of foreigners, the default pronouns Breq uses are the feminine ones.

On the other hand, we have the ancillaries. As the Radch Empire has expanded through human space, large numbers of captured prisoners have gone into suspension tanks, to be taken out as needed to become ancillaries: bodies whose own identities have been suppressed or destroyed, and who become pieces of ship or station AI. As long as the Radch Empire is expanding,ancillaries are cheap, efficient, and utterly disposable. And most of the Radch can't begin to see the screaming horror of it.

This is a great story, with Breq in pursuit of justice, along with wonderful world-building, and real character development--not limited to Breq, but in her case starting from a state of being intelligent software in multiple constructed and human bodies. It's fun, it's exciting, and it thoroughly deserved its Hugo win.

Highly recommended.

I bought this book. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
An original book, and that's rare. I had a great time reading it. The narrator's confusion over pronouns (he/she, I/we) was offputting at first, because I kept trying to translate them in my mind, but then I started finding it a fascinating reflection of her dilemma - the last surviving segment of a many segmented personality. Great stuff. I'd give it 5 stars, but I found the ending kind of confusing. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I'm not entirely certain yet how I feel about this crafty novel. Despite space-focused sci-fi rarely being a genre I gravitate toward, I absolutely enjoyed and was entertained by it. However, due to its complex nature, I'm convinced that there were details or understandings that slipped by me, although maybe a re-read would increase my appreciation further. Definitely going to pick up book #2 in a month or two to see what happens next. ( )
  ryner | Sep 14, 2018 |
this hurt my heart ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
Wow wow wow.

Wow.

Great pacing, great characters, great world, great conflict. Great scifi. I'm impressed, and fascinated, and I hope the next books can live up to this one. But even without follow-up books, this would be … amazing. (Also, hey, meaningful generic femininum was a lot of fun.) ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |

Ann Leckieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunez, BillyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Mary P. and David N. Dietzler, who didn't live to see this book but were always sure it would exist.
The body lay naked and facedown, a deathly gray, spatters of blood staining the snow around it.
Surely it isn't illegal here to complain about young people these days? How cruel. I had thought it a basic part of human nature, one of the few universally practiced human customs.

On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Once, she was the Justice of Toren - a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. Now, an act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with one fragile human body, unanswered questions, and a burning desire for vengeance. - Goodreads.com
It's alive... or dead.
A.I. or human? Who cares!
She, or he, is BREQ!
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031624662X, Paperback)

Breq is both more than she seems and less than she was. Years ago, she was the Justice of Toren--a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of corpse soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy.

An act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with only one fragile human body. And only one purpose--to revenge herself on Anaander Mianaai, many-bodied, near-immortal Lord of the Radch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:02 -0400)

Now isolated in a single frail human body, Breq, an artificial intelligence that used to control of a massive starship and its crew of soldiers, tries to adjust to her new humanity while seeking vengeance and answers to her questions.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Leckie's book Ancillary Justice was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,811,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible