dismiss

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by…

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet

by Becky Chambers

Series: Wayfarers (1), Galactic Commons (1)

Rosemary Harper doesn't expect much when she joins the crew of the aging Wayfarer. While the patched-up ship has seen better days, it offers her a bed, a chance to explore the far-off corners of the galaxy, and most importantly, some distance from her past. An introspective young woman, she's never met anyone remotely like the ship's diverse crew, including Sissix, the exotic reptilian pilot, chatty engineers Kizzy and Jenks, who keep the ship running, and Ashby, their noble captain. Life aboard the Wayfarer is chaotic and crazy-exactly what Rosemary wants. It's also about to get extremely dangerous when the crew is offered the job of a lifetime. Tunneling wormholes through space to a distant planet is definitely lucrative and will keep them comfortable for years. But risking her life wasn't part of the plan. In the far reaches of deep space, the tiny Wayfarer crew will confront a host of unexpected mishaps and thrilling adventures that force them to depend on each other. To survive, Rosemary's got to learn how to rely on this assortment of oddballs-an experience that teaches her about love and trust, and that having a family isn't necessarily the worst thing in the universe.… (more)
    Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    On a Sunbeam by Tillie Walden (tralliott)
    The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord (debbiereads)
    Behind the Throne by K. B. Wagers (majkia)
    majkia: strong weomen, complex characters, space opera
    The Human Division by John Scalzi (g33kgrrl)
    Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Enjoyable people on space voyages. Drama makes a plot happen, but the characters are pretty great too.
    Sargasso of Space by Andre Norton (amanda4242)
    Ascension by Jacqueline Koyanagi (rarm)
    Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell (WabbitSeason)
    WabbitSeason: Both are gentle, optimistic, character-driven space opera's

English (173)  German (1)  All languages (174)
What a wholesome book. This was the ultimate comfort read - it made me so warm and fuzzy inside. Everything is so lovely - the characters, their relationships and their interactions are so heartwarming. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
Overall verdict: A more "down-to-earth" space fantasy/soft sci-fi

If I had to describe this book, I'd probably say that it's the slice-of-life version of Firefly-esque space adventure. There's no grand heists, no shootouts, and no action-packed combat sequences but it portrays the life of multiple deeply three-dimensional characters in a small spaceship in a vibrant galaxy. This is definitely a character-driven story, as most of the time, the places they go and their mission is just a backdrop to character development and interaction. It's fantastic though, and a bit outside of what I'd usually read. Additionally, this book gave me lots to think about, particularly in the unique ways which aliens might be different and how interspecies relationships might work; too often sci-fi aliens just end up being star trek aliens: humans but in funny suits. Generally, I recommend this to anyone who has a hankering for a relaxing and unique story to get away from stress for a while.

My only semi-complaint is that most of the characters come across as a bit naive. The captain of the ship, who's been a captain for 20+ years, doesn't even have any defensive equipment on his ship?! Like, get it: I live in a safe part of town but even I lock my doors at night. It's kind of funny, but of all the different viewpoints, cultures, and attitudes towards life that are expressed in this book, I found being a devout pacifist the most alien and incomprehensible.

I listened to this book as an audiobook narrated by Patricia Rodriguez and she does a fantastic job as a narrator, particularly when conveying emotion. ( )
  marmoset_threat | May 28, 2020 |
This was a great book. It's not a revolutionary science fiction novel, and it's definitely not the best I've ever read. But I have to give it five stars because from start to finish I really enjoyed what I was reading and it's so darn fun. For a genre that often prioritizes realism over emotion, I was refreshed to find a sci-fi author that cares less about explaining technology and more about explaining the characters. An author that actually shows that she's invested in the characters. Even minor people that come and go on occasion are treated with respect and attention in a way that brings the whole universe to life. The writing wasn't transcendent but the plot was engaging and I'm excited to read the rest of the series.

My one and only complaint: Why does everybody say "oh stars"? Like, regardless of species or planet of origin or culture, everybody in this book uses "stars" as an exclamation. This makes no sense to me but hey, still giving five stars. ( )
  MaxAndBradley | May 27, 2020 |
This was absolutely lovely scifi that reminded me a lot of Firefly in terms of down-to-earth real ship operations with a lovely, relatable crew and a gritty/real feeling universe. Seeing the crew of the Wayfarer coming together, in all their alien differences, and following them on their way to a difficult job, and seeing their hardship and friendship, was touching and a wonderful help against the autumn gloom.

Slice of life, though, so nothing big happens, and conflict is mostly avoided – if that's not your kind of thing, you won't get much out of this book. ( )
  _rixx_ | May 24, 2020 |
This is a fun read. The characters are fun, the plot is fun, the universe is fun. I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  Pferdina | May 17, 2020 |

Becky Chambersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aquan, Richard L.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doll, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dulude, RachelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodríguez, PatriciaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szafranski, Paula RussellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the ground, we stand;
From our ships, we live;
By the stars, we hope.

- Exodan Proverb
For my family, hatch and feather
As she woke up in the pod, she remembered three things.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,498,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible