The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by…

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (2014)

by Becky Chambers

Series: Galactic Commons (1), Wayfarers (1)

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch) by Ann Leckie (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    Sargasso of Space by Andre Norton (amanda4242)
    Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell (WabbitSeason)
    WabbitSeason: Both are gentle, optimistic, character-driven space opera's
    The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord (debbiereads)
    Ascension by Jacqueline Koyanagi (rarm)

English (103)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (105)
I adored this book. Such a great display of excellent scifi space exploration following a group of such positive good persons listening to their hearts and following their good. Amazingly diverse and inclusive. Thank you. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
What Made Me Read It They had me at spaceship with a mixed-species crew whose job is to create wormholes in space to travel between distant planets.
The Good "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet" is an insightful, vividly imaginative, highly diverse and deeply emotional space-opera. It's also and primarily a character-driven novel. It's not filled with action and plot twists, there's no mystery or concealed secrets to unravel. It's mainly the story of nine characters that live together in close quarters, on their year-long journey to get a dangerous job done. The main focus is on the crew, their personal stories, their relationships with each other, how they interact and deal with their differences and personalities, how they form a family. The world building is incredibly complex and highly detailed. The author created a plethora of different alien species, each one distinct in its own physiology, language, behavior, culture, religion, political and social structure. Each member of the Wayfarer crew is well developed, with its own unique, consistent and easily-identifiable voice, personality, strengths and weaknesses. "The Long Way..." is an easy and comfort read, a feel good novel similar in tone to the early Star Trek shows and Firefly, with an optimistic and bright view of the future and the universe. But it also tackles a wide range of themes: cultural and racial diversity, sexual orientation, unconventional relationships, religion, AI sentience... it's a story about cultural identity, interplanetary politics, family and belonging, acceptance and tolerance, embracing and celebrating differences.
Read the full review on: https://literaryportals.blogspot.com/2018/10/book-review-long-way-to-small-angry.html
Final Rating "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet" is a light, touching and thought provoking space opera. Recommended for those who enjoy character driven stories and adventures in space with diverse alien cultures. ( )
  LiteraryPortals | Nov 11, 2018 |
Despite enjoying the recent reboot of the Star Trek series, I’ve never been much of a girl for spaceship-based sci-fi. However, I’ve been seeing this book pretty much everywhere for the last three years, and my powers of resistance only go so far. And what a pleasure it was to finally read it! Equal parts space opera and character piece, it takes us onto the tunnelling ship Wayfarer – scruffy, banged together, and home to a hugely lovable crew. This is more a story about friendship, compassion, tolerance and cooperation than it is about techno-jargon or deep-space exploration: at its heart is a group of people, of various species, who have lived and worked together long enough that they have become a kind of endearingly dysfunctional family. And, as the novel opens, they have a new addition to their numbers: Rosemary Harper, freshly-trained clerk and space newbie, who is willing to go to the other end of the galaxy to escape her past...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2018/09/10/the-long-way-to-a-small-angry-planet-becky-chambers/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Nov 6, 2018 |
Super fun and a fast read. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
This book is comforting like a handmade quilt, and kind like a good friend. It paints a picture of a sprawling and diverse universe, populated by aliens of different body plans and cultures and sexual norms, some kind, some violent, all of them strange to one another, but all of them trying (and sometimes failing, but always trying) to find ways to live together in something like peace, or at least neutrality. It's an absolutely lovely way of looking at the universe--nothing like a utopia, but nonetheless relentlessly optimistic in imagining that everyone is doing their best, and able to always become a better version of themselves.

It's not all fuzzy niceness though; there's plenty of conflict, some of it surprisingly violent against the fuzzy backdrop, and there was at least one point where I shed actual tears because Becky Chambers also knows how to hit her readers in the soft spots when she wants to.

There's plenty of representation, inclusion, and just good plain kind-hearted attempts at understanding the other in this book, which is at least part of why this book made me feel so at home while reading it. It's the perfect anxiety-be-gone book, the perfect book to read when you've just about convinced yourself that the world is shit. This book is pure, kind, and good, and I would recommend it to anyone, and especially those who need a little pick-me-up.

This review first appeared on my blog. ( )
  VLarkinAnderson | Sep 24, 2018 |

Becky Chambersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aquan, Richard L.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doll, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dulude, RachelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szafranski, Paula RussellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the ground, we stand;
From our ships, we live;
By the stars, we hope.

- Exodan Proverb
For my family, hatch and feather
As she woke up in the pod, she remembered three things.

Somewhere within our
crowded sky, a crew of wormhole builders hops from planet to planet, on
their way to the job of a lifetime. To the galaxy at large, humanity is a
minor species, and one patched-up construction vessel is a mere speck
on the starchart. This is an everyday sort of ship, just trying to get
from here to there.

But all voyages leave their mark, and even
the most ordinary of people have stories worth telling. A young Martian
woman, hoping the vastness of space will put some distance between
herself and the life she‘s left behind. An alien pilot, navigating life
without her own kind. A pacifist captain, awaiting the return of a loved
one at war.

Set against a backdrop of curious cultures and
distant worlds, this episodic tale weaves together the adventures of
nine eclectic characters, each on a journey of their own.

"When Rosemary Harper joins the crew of the Wayfarer, she isn't expecting much. The patched-up ship has seen better days, but it offers her everything she could possible want: a spot to call home, a chance to explore the far-off corners of the galaxy and some distance from her past. And nothing could be further from what she's known than the crew of the Wayfarer."--Page [4] of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,234,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible