Ready Player One (2011)

by Ernest Cline

Series: Ready Player One (1)

18,7881283261 (4.06)4 / 959
"In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the Oasis. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines -- puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win -- and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape"--Page 2 of cover.… (more)
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    Armada by Ernest Cline (brakketh)
    brakketh: Both books focus on 1980s culture, similar narrative ark for isolated teen to hero.
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Warcross by Marie Lu (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: dystopian society with virtual reality
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Erebos by Ursula Poznanski (aliklein)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    The Player of Games by Iain Banks (GD2020)
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas, Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Players inserted into a virtual world with real world stakes, and littered with cultural references.
    Epic by Conor Kostick (bahuman)
    bahuman: In both stories, the protagonist protests the status quo and takes on established rulers, in the online world of MMORPG as well as the "real" world.
    You by Austin Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.

Florida (38)
BitLife (65)
2010s (99)

English (1,256)  Spanish (5)  Italian (5)  German (4)  French (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Finnish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,281)
A fun book, but not necessarily a great one. ( )
  capincus | Jul 13, 2024 |
The world has gone down the drain, but there is a parallel nerd&geek utopia combining in one big universe all meta universes of every franchise. Movies, comics, games... All fiction ever created has a sector or a planet you can travel to. The builder of that universe was the quintessential nerd shut-in with an obsession for the things from his childhood in the 80s. At his death, he sets up a treasure hunt which turns into a travel through coin operated videogames, Dungeons & Dragons, movies and series.

I had a lot of fun reading this. As the cover said "Willy Wonka met the Matrix". It has brought me back so many awsome memories, that it was almost like a set of flashbacks for me.

I loved the story and the world created, but the book loses steam in his last third, and not from the story, but from the author's skills. He peggysued the protagonists, super-powered them, cliched the conversations, ended moralizing and giving a weak amateurish taste to what would have become a cult novel otherwise. That is a pity.

However, I will read it again and will recommend to friends from my generation. It was too much fun to miss!
  cdagulleiro | Jul 3, 2024 |
Written in first person. The writing quality is not great. (i.e. pretty terrible. Descriptions are awful. The perspective is first person, but apparently also omniscient? Not great at world setup. Info is just sort of dumped on the reader.) It took me a while to get over the style and actually pay attention to the story. The first thing to actually happen begins on page 68. After that the story gets much better and moves along much faster. At this point was when I was willing to forgive the writing/look past it to the story as it got cooler. The characters frequently remind you that they’re teenagers with how they react to things… good or bad? I don’t know. I like that they’re depicted as real teens, and not these impossible hero figures that are present in most novels, but their immaturity levels are sometimes irritating.
  illarai | Jun 26, 2024 |
I didn't know what to expect when I started this book, but I found it very enjoyable. The characters are quirky and likeable, the story is unpredictable and engaging and it harks to a future dystopia that disturbingly, is not beyond the realms of possibility.

My only gripe was that the ending was too predictable. Also, I was a gamer kid in the 80s so I understand nearly all the cultural references, which the book revolves around very strongly, I don't know exactly how this book would fly if you didn't. ( )
  Embassy9625 | Jun 24, 2024 |

Embassy9625 | Jun 24, 2024 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

"Cline is an ingenious conjurer talented at translating high concept into compelling storytelling."
added by bookfitz | editUSA Today, Don Oldenburg (Aug 21, 2011)

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

"Video-game players embrace the quest of a lifetime in a virtual world; screenwriter Cline’s first novel is old wine in new bottles. "
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Ernest Clineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spini, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whiskytree IncCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful." [199]
And now the conditions at any schools had gotten so terrible that every kid with half a brain was being encouraged to stay at home and attend school online.
The Great Recession was now entering its third decade, and unemployment was still at a record high. (2045)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,478,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible