Warcross by Marie Lu

Warcross

by Marie Lu

Series: Warcross (1)

The Eye of Minds by James Dashner (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Three of the best players of the virtual world in this book are tasked with finding the person that has been sabotaging the game. It has similar elements of gameplay but more friendships and bonding than Warcross.

I’m not sure why I kept putting off reading this one. I chose it for Pop Sugar Prompt 42, A cyberpunk book, and it’s the second last one I need to finish to end the challenge. I’m almost glad that I kept putting it off as now I only have to wait two months until the sequel is released! This is one of those books that I wish I could finish and pick up the next one right away! 4🌟 ( )
  ChelleBearss | Jul 28, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this story centered on a virtual reality game. I loved the descriptions of the virtual worlds. This story is action packed and a lot of fun with a few interesting twists. The ending is perfectly set up for the sequel and I'd love to read more about the secondary characters as well as the main ones. Recommend for lovers of sci-fi and gaming. ( )
  jillannjohn | Jul 25, 2018 |
Emika Chen is drowning in debt. Ramen is even expensive, and her bounty hunter gig isn't raking in the cash like she had hoped. But when she accidentally glitches herself into the world-wide VR tournament, Warcross, the inventor of the games hires her to track down a powerful hacker attempting to disrupt the games forever.

Marie Lu is a masterful storyteller. While I normally shy away from "video game books," Lu's novel kept me reading and rarely pushed my suspension of disbelief too far. Different from most VR and video game novels, Lu's world does not operate solely in the computer. In fact, the majority of it happens on the outside. Virtual reality only makes up part of the entire story, with *augmented* reality taking up a much larger part of Lu's world. That way, the real world is superimposed with a digital layer, but computer program never dominates. It's a unique and fresh concept.

I will say there are times I had trouble picturing what's going on. Computer code doesn't work the way science fiction writers like to picture it, so some of Emika's hacker abilities are a bit far-fetched. I also had trouble imagining what she was seeing in her VR or AR view. Memories, for example, are recordings made with your eyes and stored for later viewing. While it would seem that Memories can only be viewed from the person recording them, there were a number of times I felt like we were watching a Memory from third-person. Other things like language subtitles from non-English speakers and interacting with the software didn't flow as smoothly as it could have in writing, but was subtle enough to overlook mostly.

I also felt like the love plot moved unnecessarily quickly. The characters had forced chemistry through the entire novel and just did not feel natural because of the way we were introduced to the male character. Neither character felt deep enough to generate a convincing relationship, and in fact, the romance drove them directly opposite of their established characters. Thankfully, this plot line doesn't dominate the entire book.

Another positive point for Marie Lu, however, is her ability to weave the story to places least expected. The twists in the novel were able to rejuvenate me when the plot might have dragged. While she could have done to place more foreshadowing throughout, I enjoyed the twists.

Things to Watch Out For:

Sex: A passionate kissing scene pg 248; two characters get into a hot tub together, presumable naked or scantily clad pg 262; two characters are implied to be gay, but are not on speaking terms and not crucial to the plot; a dream about implied sex in bed.
Language: A number of H and D words. God's name is used occasionally. S-1 pg 136; B-2 pg 149, 306
Violence: Video game violence such as stabbing and falling from great heights, but since the physical characters are sitting safely in a room, no one is injured. An explosion wounds several characters.
Drugs: None that I can remember
Nudity: Two characters of the opposite genders are presumably naked or scantily clad in a hot tub together. A dream about implied sex in bed. ( )
  Jenneth | Jul 17, 2018 |
DATEMI. WILDCARD. ORA.
Recensione il 10! ( )
  jeky91 | Jun 15, 2018 |
It's too damn cold of a day to be out on a hunt.

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Marie Lu—when a game called Warcross takes the world by storm, one girl hacks her way into its dangerous depths.

For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn’t just a game—it’s a way of life. The obsession started ten years ago and its fan base now spans the globe, some eager to escape from reality and others hoping to make a profit. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down players who bet on the game illegally. But the bounty-hunting world is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy. Needing to make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation.

Convinced she’s going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when instead she gets a call from the game’s creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year’s tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. With no time to lose, Emika’s whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she’s only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire.

In this sci-fi thriller, #1 New York Times bestselling author Marie Lu conjures an immersive, exhilarating world where choosing who to trust may be the biggest gamble of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 18 Mar 2017 23:13:46 -0400)

"When teenage coder Emika Chen hacks her way into the opening tournament of the Warcross Championships, she glitches herself into the game as well as a sinister plot with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible