An honors student at Jefferson Academy, seventeen-year-old Keira enjoys developing and playing Slay, a secret, multiplayer online role-playing game celebrating black culture, until the two worlds collide.

There's definitely some necessary suspension of disbelief around the ability of two teens to manage a video game as large as Slay, but the characters feel so real that it makes up for it. An exciting and heartwarming read! ( )
  thereserose5 | Mar 3, 2021 |
This was an excellent read.
It was well written and addressed racism, community and the gaming world.
I'm looking forward to reading more from this author and I will suggest this book to the young adults at my library. ( )
  perkykeri | Mar 2, 2021 |
I really liked the premise and the characters were well developed and interesting. The pacing felt a little slow for much of the book (a lot of explanation, and worrying from the narrator). Also, having a window into the video game design world, it's hard for me to believe that a teenager and a college student (across the world from each other) could reasonably build a VR MMORPG. It did have a solid, suspenseful ending. ( )
  Sarah220 | Jan 23, 2021 |
Audiobook: 9/22,10/12-10/13

jastay | Jan 7, 2021 |
By day, Keira is an excellent student at an exclusive school where she is one of just a couple African-American students. Privately, Keira is Emerald, founder of an online game community called SLAY that celebrates black excellence. When a teenager is killed in real life about a controversy inside the game, Keira is torn about how she should respond. Is she is in legal trouble? Should she reveal her identity? After a new player enters SLAY who trolls Emerald, she is forced to take action.
A compelling read with strong characters. The teaser I read described it as Ready Player One meets The Hate U Give. ( )
  ewyatt | Oct 24, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,822,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible