Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1975)

by Roald Dahl

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)

English (325)  Spanish (6)  French (3)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  All (2)  Catalan (1)  All (345)
Growing up, Charlie heard many stories from his grandpa about working in the Chocolate factory. He was always wanting to hear more stories about the Chocolate facory and looked forward to chocolate bar he received every year on his birthday. One day, Charlie's father came home with news that Mr. Wonka was giving out five golden tickets to children to come visit his chocolate factory. Charllie was so excited and went to buy a chocolate bar the next day with money that his grandfather had given him. After buying the chocolate bar, Charlie discovers that he has won a golden ticket to go into the factory. Over the moon happy about being able to go into the chocolate factory, Charlie and his grandfather then go to the factory and take a tour of the factory. Throughout the tour, the other four kids find themselves in trouble and their tour is over. By the end, the only child left is Charlie and Mr. Wonka congratulates him on winning. Charlie is confused on what he has won when Mr. Wonka tells him that he is giving him the entire factory so that he can take over for him. This would be a great book for the students to read to begin to write their own descriptive essay on what they might want in their own factory; it would help them with their figurative language and descriptive language. ( )
  Tanyka | Apr 26, 2018 |
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remains the quintessential Roald Dahl. Perfect for anyone (but maybe best for those between 3rd grade through middle school) it fulfills candy fantasies, is funny, and yet showcases Dahl's dark sense of humor at its best (and darkest!) I can't think of a single kid who wouldn't adore this book! ( )
  PattyHoward | Apr 24, 2018 |
This is a very interesting book that gives you a different perspective on imagination. This book makes you think in ways you have never thought before. I wouldn't use this as a lesson but I would keep it in my class.
  taylorbeard29 | Apr 19, 2018 |
How can you not love a fantastic story like this?

I grew up with the Gene Wilder movie, and it was always one of my favorites, but I had never read this or any other of Mr. Dahl's books. I figured it was about time that changed. Also, with two movie adaptations, one amazing and the other... well, let's just say it exists and leave it at that, but with two movies based on one book, it was beyond time I gave it a read.

And I adore it in book form as much as I adore the Gene Wilder movie version. I can see that the filmmakers captured the heart of it well, as other than Wonka's missing goatee, most of the details were the same. There were a few minor parts of... that other one... that were more book accurate, but really the first film does the book more justice.

Absolutely fantastic tale! I love everything about it. If you haven't read Dahl, you're missing out.

This particular volume comes with the additional first chapter of Dahl's other classic, Matilda, which I have also never read. Of course, now that I've started, it's definitely going to be my next acquisition, to be read as soon as possible. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Mar 30, 2018 |
I listened to this with my girls. We started it while working on a project in their room. Listening to a fun book makes those kinds of projects go faster. It's a delightful story, of course. We always love Dahl. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |

Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacques, FaithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / The Witches / Fantasic Mr. Fox / The Twits / James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory PLUS Three More All-Time Favorites (Boxed Set) by Roald Dahl

Gsx: Dahl 10 Copy Audio Set in Zipped Tin (Tbp) by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl 15 Book Box Set (Slipcase) by Roald Dahl

The Roald Dahl Audio CD Collection: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / James and the Giant Peach / Fantastic Mr. Fox / The Enormous Crocodile / The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a teacher's guide

For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,932,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible