Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald…

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

by Roald Dahl

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)

English (337)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (360)
Not my favorite Dahl story but it had been a long time since I read it - maybe college? It’s is a really good, incredibly silly story, and I love it in its pure state. Next up is watching the movies - I’ve never seen them! ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jun 4, 2019 |
Finito di leggerlo a mia figlia che ora è triste perché... è finito!!! ^_^ ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
Charlie and the chocolate factory is one of my all time favorites. What child wouldn't enjoy a day full of of chocolate and candy. Charlie receiving the golden ticket was a joy for him and he knew his luck was only going to get better from there. It's a great read. ( )
  JenniferFowler123456 | Apr 14, 2019 |
For most of this book, I had placed it unquestionably in the 3-star zone. Not only would I have hated this as a child with a strictly realistic imagination ("A girl turning into a blueberry? Well, that's stupid, I'll read something else"), but as an adult reading for the first time, I was put off by the childishness of things like beard-growing candy. I kept reminding myself that most children would have a great time with this.

As an uninitiated reader who had also never seen either film (no longer true!), I couldn't help speculating on where all this was going. Is Willy Wonka actually the villain, enslaving the Oompa Loompas against their will? Is Charlie going to rescue them all and defeat the Evil Rich Guy? I was happy to be wrong and even more happy to discover that Willy Wonka isn't just a "good guy" and an inventive genius, he's also truly kind beneath the carefree surface. Also, I loved the Oompa Loompa song about replacing television with books.

Overall, this is a creative little delight of a book, though I didn't appreciate it fully until the last chapter. I plan to read the sequel. I watched the two films back-to-back for comparison purposes (and the Gene Wilder version is certainly truer to the spirit of the book). I guess I'm now a Willy Wonka fan. Never expected that when I started reading this! ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
Read in Slovene under the title of Čarli in tovarna čokolade.

Cute little children's book, although not nearly as good as Matilda, not too much to say about it. Is it just me or can it read as a justification of soulless capitalism with Wonka firing all the workers and importing apparently a slave work force from abroad? Ugh. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |

Idle, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacques, FaithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schindelman, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / The Witches / Fantasic Mr. Fox / The Twits / James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory PLUS Three More All-Time Favorites (Boxed Set) by Roald Dahl

Gsx: Dahl 10 Copy Audio Set in Zipped Tin (Tbp) by Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl 15 Book Box Set (Slipcase) by Roald Dahl

The Roald Dahl Audio CD Collection: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / James and the Giant Peach / Fantastic Mr. Fox / The Enormous Crocodile / The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a teacher's guide

For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142410314, Paperback)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and its sequel, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, along with Roald Dahl's other tales for younger readers, make him a true star of children's literature. Dahl seems to know just how far to go with his oddball fantasies; in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for example, nasty Violet Beauregarde blows up into a blueberry from sneaking forbidden chewing gum, and bratty Augustus Gloop is carried away on the river of chocolate he wouldn't resist. In fact, all manner of disasters can happen to the most obnoxiously deserving of children because Dahl portrays each incident with such resourcefulness and humor.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a singular delight, crammed with mad fantasy, childhood justice and revenge, and as much candy as you can eat. The book is also available in Spanish (Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate). (The suggested age range for this book is 9-12, but nobody this reviewer has met can resist it, including New York City bellhops, flight attendants, and grumpy teenagers.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,471,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible