dismiss

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

by Roald Dahl

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.
    Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    The Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Ballad of a Slow Poisoner by Andrew Goldfarb (tankexmortis)
    tankexmortis: This is a fantastically original and charming work that for the first time in years brought to mind the work of Roald Dahl.
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)
Robin (6)

English (359)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (381)
I listened to the audiobook narrated by Douglas Hodge and how magical he made this story from my youth! I will never regret listening to this at all. ( )
  niennaalfirin | Jul 30, 2020 |
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a classic children's book about five kids who win a chance to tour Willy Wonka's mysterious candy-making operation. It focuses on Charlie Bucket who loves Willie Wonka's chocolate. The Wonka factory had been closed for years, when Mr. Wonka gives an opportunity to the five lucky children who find a shimmering Golden Ticket for free entrance to the factory.

Whoever wins gets a free supply of chocolate for the rest of their lives. Charlie finds a dollar, buys some chocolate bars in an ordinary store, and finds the last Golden Ticket. Inside the factory is where the real fun begins.

The lessons conveyed in this classic are simple but important. Behave with respect, dignity, and politeness and try not to be like Augustus, Veruca, Violet, or Mike.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has had a lot of attention over the years, and has at turns been called racist, patronising and disturbing. To most readers it's an amazing book that was written fifty years ago, which is still just as fantastic and delightful today as it was back in the sixties. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a story to be read again and again. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
My absolute favourite Roald Dahl book. Such a fun story, even if it becomes desperately sad if you think too hard about all those grandparents in the bed. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I can't even review the movie of this, having fallen soundly asleep during it twice and that was the Johnny Depp version.

But does it have enough sex in it? Maybe that's the problem....Maybe it needs one of these:

Can't you just picture Depp eagerly watching this? Wouldn't it be kind of sexy watching that thing melt? I honestly think waiting for the moment would keep me awake.

(It is from the Zurich chocolate fair. The Swiss are nothing if not politically incorrect. But at least she looks like she has real tits.)
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
I have to admit that there's nothing quite like reading a book to a kid that you both love in equal measure.

I cried, she cried, we both cried and laughed and cheered when those nasty, nasty kids got their just deserts. :)

And the songs? I admit I had a great time singing my own little tune to each as they were violently nasty and creative and delightful all at once. :)

Yeah. This is one of the best books ever. And I refuse to care one bit about the typos.

TOTAL CLASSIC. ( )

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a teacher's guide

For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,966,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible