Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1964)

by Roald Dahl

Series: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1)

Each of five children lucky enough to discover an entry ticket into Mr. Willy Wonka's mysterious chocolate factory takes advantage of the situation in his own way.
    Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl (gilberts)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Stewart counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (cransell)
    Wonders, Inc. by Crawford Kilian (bookel)
    The Bubblegum Tree by Alexander McCall Smith (bookel)
    The Dragons of Ordinary Farm by Tad Williams (Scottneumann)
    The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling (infiniteletters)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (jacqueline065)
    jacqueline065: This is amore mature verion of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    The Magical Monarch of Mo by L. Frank Baum (bookel)
Robin (6)

English (374)  Spanish (7)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (399)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a wonderful tale of a boy who embarks on the journey of a lifetime after he is one of five people in the whole world to receive a golden ticket, an exclusive invite to have a magical adventure in the world's largest yet most secretive chocolate factory. This book is great for elementary and middle school students looking to further develop their young reading skills and have an adventure along the way. ( )
  amassa1994 | Apr 25, 2021 |
The story features the adventures of young Charlie Bucket inside the chocolate factory of eccentric chocolatier Willy ( )
  VictorTran | Apr 19, 2021 |
Young Charlie Bucket is one of five lucky children who win a Golden Ticket to the top secret Chocolate Factory owned and run by the mysterious Willy Wonka. Amazing sights await and it soon becomes evident that there is more to this tour than appears at first glance.

Not having been a Roald Dahl fan as a child, I was looking forward to read his novels aloud to my girls. My initial enthusiasm (see my review of [b:The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me|6694|The Giraffe And The Pelly And Me|Roald Dahl|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1165604309s/6694.jpg|419514] soon started to wear off. And this must count as my most disappointing Dahl read so far. Widely lauded as one of the best children's books ever, it just didn't work for me. For a start, I found Willy Wonka to be probably the most irritating and sanctimonious literary character I ever had the misfortune to meet. Given a choice, I'd prefer to join Count Dracula or Lady Macbeth for tea rather than spend another five minutes with Mr Wonka. He is, after all, an autocratic master who exploits the expendable "Oompa Loompas" at his factory and spends the novel goading kids into breaking the rules only to dispense sadistic punishments when they do so.

Secondly, for all its undoubted flights of fancy, the novel is underpinned by a surprisingly repetitive and not particularly beguiling narrative structure. As one by one the children end up in (literally) sticky situations, one starts to feel that the plot is not as fantastically imaginative as appears on the surface and, in its own way, is not much more complicated than a Dora the Explorer episode. To opt for a more flattering analogy, it is like a Mozart or Haydn rondo, where the same theme keeps returning with variants. Except that Mozart is way more fun.

The same can be said for the novel's world view. The wackiness and dark humour of the book make it seem subversive, but "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is ultimately quite a traditional (and, frankly, patronising) cautionary tale where (surprise, surprise) disobedient spoilt brats who eat too much and watch too much tv are punished whilst the long-suffering "good boy" gets a reward. I have no problem with that - but perhaps the frequent portrayal of Dahl as an impish, iconoclastic author is at odds with the underlying message of this novel.

Naturally, I might be missing some subtle ironic interpretation. I wish it were the case.

To be fair, my kids did enjoy the book, although my younger daughter (6 years old) was quite distressed at the fate of the naughty children. Evidently she has a greater sense of compassion than Wonka. ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Mar 5, 2021 |
I had fun again reading this to my daughter. She is really into Roald Dahl right now.
  Arkrayder | Mar 4, 2021 |
I’ve read other of Dahl’s titles (The Witches is my favorite) but had somehow missed this one. I’m so glad I went back to it! It’s funny and heartwarming and vintage Dahl. ( )
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a teacher's guide

For Theo
These two very old people are the father and mother of Mr Bucket.
'Whips!’ cried Veruca Salt. ‘What on earth do you use whips for?’

‘For whipping cream, of course,’ said Mr Wonka. ‘How can you whip cream without whips? Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all unless it’s been whipped with whips. Just as a poached egg isn’t a poached egg unless it’s been stolen from the woods in the dead of night!'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,919,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible