The Mysterious Benedict Society

by Trenton Lee Stewart

Other authors: Carson Ellis (Illustrator)

Series: The Mysterious Benedict Society (1)

After passing a series of mind-bending tests, four children are selected for a secret mission that requires them to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: Talented, intelligent kids on the trail of a bad guy.
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (bezoar44)
    bezoar44: The Mysterious Benedict Society features a team of kids working to solve puzzles and unravel a dangerous mystery at a claustrophobic boarding school; the Westing Game pits several teams of kids and adults, residents of an apartment building, against one another in a race to decode a will and solve several related mysteries.… (more)
    The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester (Anonymous user)
    Whales on Stilts! by M. T. Anderson (kaledrina)
    The Name of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (megan003)
    Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (elenchus)
    elenchus: Both The Mysterious Benedict Society and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory feature children more capable than either their peers or they themselves give credit, and adults who could learn from them. I find in Dahl an undercurrent of misanthropy, which Lee counters without becoming precious.… (more)
    Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony Snicket (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization
    The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett (megan003)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (foggidawn)
    Greenglass House by Kate Milford (cransell)
    The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman (foggidawn)
    The Bad Apple (Merits of Mischief) by T. R. Burns (foggidawn)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a great aventure and a very funny book!!

English (264)  Italian (1)  All languages (265)
A kids novel. Main character is 11 years old. Very clean. Recommended reading for ages 11-17. Still entertaining, even if I'm too old for it. Easy reading. Clever, in its own way. If I were younger I would probably continue to the sequel. As it is, I think I'll leave it at the first one and move on to other things. I am glad I read it, but I doubt I will read it again. ( )
  Michael_J | Jun 2, 2022 |
A very fun book. It does get long, but the funny characters make that up. Constance is the best character ever and give sarcastic little comments, which are the best. There's a TV show, and it does do the book justic. so I reccomend both book and show! ( )
  MollyGroff | May 24, 2022 |
This book is a part of the mystery and fantasy genre, and it is about four young kids who go on a mission to save the world. The theme of the book is this book is teamwork and friendship, and it draws the reader in because we want to find out what is going to happen at the end of the story. I would say that this book is great for high intermediate readers or middle school students. ( )
  Emalee.Landers | Mar 15, 2022 |
The Mysterious Benedict Society is a great story for younger students reading at a higher level. Topics could be appropriate for as young as 2nd or 3rd grade. Our four main characters go on a daring and crazy puzzle of an adventure. Anyone who enjoys passing difficult or tricky tests, young or old, would likely enjoy reading this story. ( )
  LectricLibrary | Feb 16, 2022 |
This book is a mystery and a fantasy, best suited for intermediate readers or middle school readers. A man recruits four orphans who are gifted in unique ways to help him on a secret mission that will save the people of the world. Focusing on the gifts and talents of these four orphans, this book has a way of making students feel not alone and shows the importance of teamwork and friendship. ( )
  AlexBledsoe20 | Jan 10, 2022 |

Trenton Lee Stewartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ellis, CarsonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roy, DelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Elliot

—T.L.S.
In a city called Stonetown, near a port called Stonetown Harbor, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was preparing to take an important test.

Four clever children
One  sleepy benefactor
Bring down the curtain
(jll112)

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316057770, 0316003956

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,682,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible