dismiss

Greenglass House by Kate Milford

Greenglass House (2014)

by Kate Milford

Other authors: Jaime Zollars (Illustrator)

Series: Greenglass House (1)

At Greenglass House, a smuggler's inn, twelve-year-old Milo, the innkeepers' adopted son, plans to spend his winter holidays relaxing but soon guests are arriving with strange stories about the house sending Milo and Meddy, the cook's daughter, on an adventure.

This is a book I'd have enjoyed as young reader... 4th or 5th grade. I saw the anomaly as an adult, but I'm not sure I'd have caught when I was a kid. Very good. very fun. ( )
  RobertaLea | May 14, 2020 |
Milo expects he and his parents will be celebrating a quiet Christmas when suddenly the inn fills up with strangers. But these strangers all have secrets that include his home. Milo and Meddy who comes to help with Mrs. Carraway and her daughter start playing a game to discover who and what these strangers are up to. Will Christmas just be the family or will it include these strangers?

I enjoyed this book. Milo and Meddy are fun as they become the characters in the game they play. The strangers are an interesting group of people as are the regulars to the inn. Each tells a story as suggested by Milo and as I read the stories they told I figured each one was talking of him/herself through the story. Milo and Meddy listen and observe and put together their clues. I will admit I did not see the twists coming until I was hit over the head with them. A detective I'll never be but this story was an excellent read. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 22, 2020 |
Milo Pine lives in Greenglass House with his adoptive parents. Greenglass House was originally built by a famous smuggler. The Pines run an Inn in the house that caters, mostly, to smugglers. It's the start of Christmas vacation and Milo is looking forward to relaxing, sledding with his parents, drinking hot chocolate and all his other favorite Christmas and winter related activities. Then, unexpectedly, five guests show up with plans to stay over the holiday. Each of these guests has a connection to Greenglass House. When things start disappearing from the guests rooms Milo, and his new friend Meddy, begin playing an RPG with the goal of finding the missing objects and the identity of the thief. The mystery becomes bigger as the story progresses. So does the danger. There is also a paranormal plot twist near the end.
This middle grade read was a lot of fun. I enjoyed it start to finish. ( )
1 vote VioletBramble | Jan 22, 2020 |
One of the best middle grade mysteries I've read: well-written, deeply-plotted, insights into being adopted, fascinating setting with well-developed history and folklore, strong characters. ( )
  bookwren | Dec 13, 2019 |
This book sounded intriguing due to it being a mystery in an old inn, plus its literary awards and nominations, so our book group chose it for our December book as it takes place during the Christmas holidays. It was as good a read as I had anticipated with quirky characters, suspicions, thefts, hidden clues, cozy inside with hot chocolate while snow storms raged outside. But it had some mature topics of friendship, adoption, family, honesty, and role playing games(!) that took it out of the "typical" realm to provide a memorable, charming story. ( )
1 vote PhyllisReads | Apr 27, 2019 |
An abundantly diverting mystery seasoned with mild fantasy and just a little steampunk.

The legends and folktales Milford (The Broken Lands) creates add to Nagspeake’s charm and gently prepare the ground for a fantasy twist.
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (May 26, 2014)

Kate Milfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zollars, JaimeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To my family, near and far, with thanks
for all my childhood christmases;

to Raegan, Hadley, Phero, Oliver, Girffin,
and the one we call Amelia, adventurer all;

To Emma, who twisted my arm and
made me fix the things that didn't work;

And to Grandmoo, because it's her favorite.
There is a right way to do things and a wrong way, if you're going to run a hotel in a smuggler's town.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,696,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible