Greenglass House (2014)

by Kate Milford

Other authors: Jaime Zollars (Illustrator)

Series: Greenglass House (1)

At Greenglass House, a smuggler's inn, twelve-year-old Milo, the innkeepers' adopted son, plans to spend his winter holidays relaxing but soon guests are arriving with strange stories about the house sending Milo and Meddy, the cook's daughter, on an adventure.

Greenglass House was one of my many book purchases last year when I had a couple of gift cards and a long wishlist. Though I had wanted to read it for quite some time, I saved it for the Winter because just look at that cover! I have to admit, while the synopsis is what sold me on this book, the cover art is what initially caught my interest. I was not disappointed.

This is the perfect book for curling up under a blanket with an endless mug of hot chocolate, especially if you have a fireplace, and I'm not sure there's a better book out there to read during the Winter. I read it over the Holidays since the story takes place over Milo's Winter break from school, and I would have finished it much more quickly if life hadn't gotten in the way.

I will definitely be checking out Kate Milford's other books. If you're looking for a fun Winter read, give Greenglass House a try. ( )
  FortifiedByBooks | Jan 5, 2021 |
A kid book club pick and a nice alternative to the post-apocalyptic, dystopian stories that dominate the YA shelves. This is fanciful, heart-warming and mysterious. Milo and his adoptive parents live in and run an old Inn that is often frequented by smugglers due to its river port location. During a pre-Christmas snowstorm several guests show up unexpectedly, with agendas that center on the house and its history. To Milo's thinking their presence is simply to ruin his relaxing break and holiday with his family. However once he begins to investigate their secrets and background via a role-playing game, he learns a lot about the various characters, his house and his own family. Several unexpected plot turns make this a gripping read -- a good book to ingest with a warm drink and cozy fire. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
Books written for a middle-school audience can sometimes annoy me. Often the characters seem either too old or too young to seem real, but this one felt true to the concerns of this age range. Milo’s parents make themselves available while also respecting Milo’s need to work things out for himself. It’s something of a model for parents, as well, but not in a preachy way. In fact, the lessons never seem heavy-handed at all.

The mystery piece was intriguing and suspenseful without being scary. The reader is presented with clues at the same time Milo is, and we’re all cautioned not to jump to conclusions. The ending isn’t “OMG! I never saw that coming!” But neither is it boring and predictable.

After reading it on my own, I got the audiobook for us (my 12yo, 8yo, spouse, and me) to listen to while we’re on a cross-country road trip, and it’s drawn us all in.

—————-
After listening to the audiobook, I’m less thrilled with this than I was when I first read it. Some of the things that annoy me about the story:

1) Christmas Eve is the longest day ever. That one day seems to take up almost as much time as all of the other days put together. Reading the book-book, I didn’t notice how much the story drags, but on audio...ugh.

2) The author refers to the male characters of all ages as “young men” but refers to grown women as “girls.” I could accept this if it were just characters doing it, but when the narrator/author does it, it just rankles me.

3) There are a couple of other small things related to the audiobook narration that bothered me (the narrator couldn’t decide whether Brandon had an Australian accent or a Cockney accent, and the voice he used for Meddy sometimes was just weird), but that doesn’t figure into my star review.

My children, however, loved the book. I’m just a humbug, apparently. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jun 28, 2020 |
This is a book I'd have enjoyed as young reader... 4th or 5th grade. I saw the anomaly as an adult, but I'm not sure I'd have caught when I was a kid. Very good. very fun. ( )
  RobertaLea | May 14, 2020 |
Milo expects he and his parents will be celebrating a quiet Christmas when suddenly the inn fills up with strangers. But these strangers all have secrets that include his home. Milo and Meddy who comes to help with Mrs. Carraway and her daughter start playing a game to discover who and what these strangers are up to. Will Christmas just be the family or will it include these strangers?

I enjoyed this book. Milo and Meddy are fun as they become the characters in the game they play. The strangers are an interesting group of people as are the regulars to the inn. Each tells a story as suggested by Milo and as I read the stories they told I figured each one was talking of him/herself through the story. Milo and Meddy listen and observe and put together their clues. I will admit I did not see the twists coming until I was hit over the head with them. A detective I'll never be but this story was an excellent read. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 22, 2020 |
An abundantly diverting mystery seasoned with mild fantasy and just a little steampunk.

The legends and folktales Milford (The Broken Lands) creates add to Nagspeake’s charm and gently prepare the ground for a fantasy twist.
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (May 26, 2014)

Kate Milfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zollars, JaimeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To my family, near and far, with thanks
for all my childhood christmases;

to Raegan, Hadley, Phero, Oliver, Girffin,
and the one we call Amelia, adventurer all;

To Emma, who twisted my arm and
made me fix the things that didn't work;

And to Grandmoo, because it's her favorite.
There is a right way to do things and a wrong way, if you're going to run a hotel in a smuggler's town.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,940,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible