Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson

Press Start to Play (2015)

by Daniel H. Wilson (Editor), John Joseph Adams (Editor)

Other authors: Charlie Jane Anders (Contributor), Chris Avellone (Contributor), Jessica Barber (Contributor), Marguerite K. Bennett (Contributor), Holly Black (Contributor)21 more, T.C. Boyle (Contributor), Ernest Cline (Foreword), Cory Doctorow (Contributor), Nicole Feldringer (Contributor), Austin Grossman (Contributor), Yoon Ha Lee (Contributor), Hugh Howey (Contributor), David Barr Kirtley (Contributor), Chris Kluwe (Contributor), Marc Laidlaw (Contributor), Ken Liu (Contributor), S.R. Mastrantone (Contributor), Seanan McGuire (Contributor), Micky Neilson (Contributor), Rhianna Pratchett (Contributor), Hiroshi Sakurazaka (Contributor), Catherynne M. Valente (Contributor), Robin Wasserman (Contributor), Andy Weir (Contributor), Django Wexler (Contributor), Charles Yu (Contributor)

Series: InCryptid ("Survival Horror")

A groundbreaking anthology of short stories from award-winning writers and game-industry titans who have embarked on a quest to explore what happens when video games and science fiction collide. From text-based adventures to first-person shooters, dungeon crawlers to horror games, these twenty-six stories play with our notion of what video games can be-and what they can become-in smart and singular ways.… (more)

See https://www.librarything.com/topic/219623#5489846 for LisaMorr's story-by-story review: I don't see a place to list the stories, but keep forgetting the name of Select Character by Hugh Howey which I want to recommend widely.
  jodi | Nov 20, 2018 |
Really enjoyed this, review to come.

If you are a gamer and a reader, you will want to delve into this anthology. I will admit that I went right to Weir's story, Twarrior, when I downloaded my NetGalley file and while I did enjoy the quick read, one of my absolute favorites turned out to be Rat Catcher's Yellows by Charlie Jane Anders.

Book will be released on August 18th, go pre-order! ( )
  autumnturner76 | Oct 4, 2018 |
My book review for this written here at New York Journal of Books: http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/press-start
  Eric_J._Guignard | Jul 26, 2018 |
Eh. There were a few good stories in here (and the Seanan McGuire, which was good but not new to me), but most of them ranged from Ew to Huh? I still can't figure out what was going on with the graying out one - the one that was all about memory, and two college students clinging to one another as the world disappears...and then suddenly they're old, and a (medical?) voice is declaring something a success. And who they were is depicted on a screen. Were they being downloaded? Uploaded? Either way it doesn't seem as much of a success as all that. That one, and several others, just left me saying "What?". There were a lot that were just literary blowing things up, or nastier - I read them and wiped them out of my memory as fast as I could. Overall, I did not enjoy reading this; the few good stories were either not strong enough to stand out in my mind, had major holes (the one about making the garden - how the heck did she figure all of that out? Was she really bored enough to keep going back time after time and figuring out ways around how she died last time?), or were simply overwhelmed by the tide of ick. I need to remember that John Joseph Adams and I do _not_ have similar tastes. He keeps doing anthologies with fascinating themes, and I don't like the stories he picks. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 4, 2018 |
Strange stuff. Some of these shorts are not bad. And some...well, I think the American Psychiatric Association could recognize an entire new sub discipline to deal with the more bizarre entries. I do not game beyond casual games (Birds, word games, puzzles, etc), and my sons have tried to convince me that many video games have plots (uh...sure), so I'm sure the reference frame helps to make sense of the weirder stories. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |

Wasserman, RobinContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weir, AndyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wexler, DjangoContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yu, CharlesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Since their invention about half a century ago, video games have come to play a vital role in modern human civilization. (Foreword)
I'm an editor through and through; I eat, sleep, and breathe prose fiction and am a relentless consumer of narrative entertainment. (Introduction)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,309,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible